Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
vne
vne began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to save ebook with multiple files which are in the same folder

Hi all,

I have quite a lot of books with multiple pdf files stored in 1 folder (and sometimes several folders). I've try to add this folder as a book but cannot find the way. Anyone please help me on this issue.

Thank you.

Last edited by vne; 10-24-2010 at 03:36 PM.
vne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by vne View Post
Hi all,

I have quite a lot of books with multiple pdf files stored in 1 folder (and sometimes several folders). I've try to add this folder as a book but cannot find the way. Anyone please help me on this issue.
Use a pdf editor, like Acrobat, to create a single pdf, then add that file.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
vne

So, it's impossible to add a folder as a book? Combining all files to a single pdf will break bookmarks.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
So, it's impossible to add a folder as a book? Combining all files to a single pdf will break bookmarks.
Yes it is impossible at this time, calibre tries to stay out of the book editing or creation business. However, you can add them as separate books and use the series metadata to keep track of them and treat them as one series. This will allow all pdfs to essentially be treated as one long series and kept in order for reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Wow, how cool is that!
I've learned something new today.... time for a nap.
Thanks.
julie
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
So, it's impossible to add a folder as a book?
I didn't say that. When I run a recipe it creates an html folder structure that is many layers deep, resulting in a single book. You asked about pdf files, not folders. Multiple pdf files in a folder isn't a pdf file, and it isn't a book. If you want to create a book or a pdf from multiple components, like multiple pdfs or multiple docs or multiple lits or multiple txt/rtf files, you need to use an editor, not Calibre. It doesn't matter whether the components are stored in a single folder or multiple folders.

Quote:
Combining all files to a single pdf will break bookmarks.
True, but it makes a single pdf book, which is what you asked for. If you want a single book and bookmarks, you'd fix the broken bookmarks as part of the book creation process. It sounds like you want to add the pdfs as individual books, not as a single book. That's quite easy.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-25-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
I thought the OP's question was simply phrased (unless the question was edited between your answers and my reading of the thread). The question wasn't how to combine pdf files into a single file or how to convert the multiple pdf's into an ebook with unbroken bookmarks. The question was how to make calibre recognise a folder or directory as a single book. Can it be done without manipulating the actual files with calibre's conversion facility or a third party application? I actually have the same issue with an encyclopaedia.

PS. If it's not possible I have PDFTK Builder Portable in my portableapps.com suite and will have to sacrifice the bookmarks. I don't have Adobe Acrobat so there isn't any option other than the series solution mentioned

Last edited by bigpallooka; 10-25-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Add post script
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
I thought the OP's question was simply phrased (unless the question was edited between your answers and my reading of the thread). The question wasn't how to combine pdf files into a single file or how to convert the multiple pdf's into an ebook with unbroken bookmarks. The question was how to make calibre recognise a folder or directory as a single book. Can it be done without manipulating the actual files with calibre's conversion facility or a third party application? I actually have the same issue with an encyclopaedia.
He asked specifically about a folder full of pdf files. I gave him the only answer to his problem I know of - turn it into a book, or add the books as-is. Calibre recognizes books and a folder full of pdfs isn't a pdf book. Calibre won't do anything with it until it's converted into a book that a pdf reader will treat as such. There are a fair number of book-like programs sold on CD/DVD that keep data in individual pdfs and supply a front end program for searching and accessing them. They also aren't books that Calibre can handle.

As for third party tools, pdf editors will create books from folders full of individual pdf files. I'm not aware of any that keep the bookmarks of individual pdfs, but it's not an area I've looked at closely.

(It wouldn't surprise me if PDF Portfolio kept them, but that type of pdf is not supported by Calibre or most other pdf editors.)
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

Ok. So the simple answer is : No, calibre can't import a folder or directory of pdf files and recognise it as a book. I think the series option mentioned by dwanthny will work best for me. I hope one of the suggestions helps the OP out.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
vne

Sorry if my question makes anyone confused. What bigpallooka stated is exactly my question.

So, tons of manual work needed for my non-single-file books.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
So, tons of manual work needed for my non-single-file books.
I'm not trying to be snarky, but you don't have any non-single file "books" that I can see. You have a folder full of separate pdf books that you'd like to convert to a single book.

If I may ask, why do you think of your folders as a single book? Have they ever been accessible in book-like form as a single book with a front-end program?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

I know I'm not the OP so this is just from my own collection but I have numerous Encyclopaedias and dictionaries that are split into multiple PDF files (such as A-c, C-f or 19015-1942, 1943-1946 etc.) and they are really one book split into multiple files. It might be nonsensical of the creator to have done this but "it is what it is". Because the work involved in joining and recreating the bookmarks is more than I would enjoy or is warranted I have chosen to make them into a series. This may not be the OP's particular situation but I understand where he is coming from. If the files where html we wouldn't be having this discussion. Unfortunately, the mistaken belief that technical books should ALL be made into PDF has prevailed for a long time.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
I know I'm not the OP so this is just from my own collection but I have numerous Encyclopaedias and dictionaries that are split into multiple PDF files (such as A-c, C-f or 19015-1942, 1943-1946 etc.) and they are really one book split into multiple files. It might be nonsensical of the creator to have done this but "it is what it is".
How did the author expect these books to be used/read? Was there a separate front end program that handles it, or did he just tell his readers to open each one individually, or what? It seems likely that he was up against some limit on the number of bookmarks, performance, etc. Do I correctly think that the bookmarks you are worried about are not your personal bookmarks, but are links to various content provided by the original book author/publisher? Are there any book-book links?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

For me yes, the constraint is losing the bookmark links encoded in the PDF. As the sources of these books are unknown (or questionable) I don't have any information on the motivation of the creator to work in such a manner. I suspect drugs

Seriously though, they must have had some constraint related to file size (some are over 100mb) and performance or just the body of work was so large it was completed over a lengthy period and therefore in sections, maybe even by more than one individual. Who knows?

Last edited by bigpallooka; 10-26-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
vne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but you don't have any non-single file "books" that I can see. You have a folder full of separate pdf books that you'd like to convert to a single book.

If I may ask, why do you think of your folders as a single book? Have they ever been accessible in book-like form as a single book with a front-end program?
I think my query is very clear now. There are actually lots of ebooks separated into several files which are linked by bookmarks. An example is all ebooks from knovel.com. The situation is even worse in case the book is separated to hundreds .html files stored in the same folder (I have around 20 books of this kind).