Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Affordable 13.3" ?

I need a 13" e-reader for academic PDFs. There seems to only be a few of this size around (Onyx Boox Max, Sony, etc.) and they are all quite expensive.

My budget is around $500. I've looked high and low for something affordable in that size.

Is there anything out there for my budget?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Drop the e ink requirement and get a chrome book or netbook. For less than half your budget.
Install blue light filter and reading mode apps.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
helen19770707
Connoisseur
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67 kindle Onyx Note
I have came across a post severeal days before. The group buying price for 13,3 inch Onyx Boox Max 2 drops to $599.99.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Drop the e ink requirement and get a chrome book or netbook. For less than half your budget.
Install blue light filter and reading mode apps.
Thanks. I notice there's also some after market iPads being sold in my area.

Do the blue light filters and reading mode apps make a big difference?
Old 07-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Bookchin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen19770707 View Post
I have came across a post severeal days before. The group buying price for 13,3 inch Onyx Boox Max 2 drops to $599.99.

I see that group buy is over now. I didn't even know onyx had group buys. When did they start doing that, and will they have more than one?
Advert
Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Get AMOLED instead if you read academic papers. Eink is awful for academic papers due to a slower processor, slower screen and worse controls. AMOLED can have true blacks, and you can avoid eink completely once microLED comes out. This might be a good article for the philosophy of the larger eink reader, calling them blueprint readers. https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/03/30/99721/

You want an AMOLED screen. With the moonreader app, I am able to get true blacks (darker than eink) with white or red font for night reading. This is a compromise as its a higher resolution screen but only 10.5in for something like the tab S5e but entirely worth it for the easy searches, faster and better choices of applications, ease for reading at night if refresh rates don't bother your eyes, and how much dimmer it can get, and can be adjusted on the fly with the moonreader app (I really like it but theres lots of other good ones too).
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Sony's 13.3" Digital Reader and Google's 12.3" Pixel Slate will be $599 between Sep-Dec. Just wait.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You could get a 9.7" and put the pdf in landscape and scroll. A lot cheaper. The Onyx software is very good so you could zoom easily too, though you wouldn't need to much on a 9.7 in landscape.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 AM   #9
Bookchin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Get AMOLED instead if you read academic papers. Eink is awful for academic papers due to a slower processor, slower screen and worse controls. AMOLED can have true blacks, and you can avoid eink completely once microLED comes out. This might be a good article for the philosophy of the larger eink reader, calling them blueprint readers. https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/03/30/99721/

You want an AMOLED screen. With the moonreader app, I am able to get true blacks (darker than eink) with white or red font for night reading. This is a compromise as its a higher resolution screen but only 10.5in for something like the tab S5e but entirely worth it for the easy searches, faster and better choices of applications, ease for reading at night if refresh rates don't bother your eyes, and how much dimmer it can get, and can be adjusted on the fly with the moonreader app (I really like it but theres lots of other good ones too).
Thanks. I've read that AMOLED screens are more power hungry than regular LCDs, are prone to burn-in, and don't last as long. Hence why most tablet makers are not using them as much anymore.

Would you say AMOLED is better than the iPad Pro screen? I've heard good things about the newer iPads. Is moonreader better than any of the similar reader apps available for iOS?

Last edited by Bookchin; 07-30-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:17 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
Thanks. I've read that AMOLED screens are more power hungry than regular LCDs, are prone to burn-in, and don't last as long. Hence why most tablet makers are not using them as much anymore.

Would you say AMOLED is better than the iPad Pro screen? I've heard good things about the newer iPads. Is moonreader better than any of the similar reader apps available for iOS?
burn in may happen when a shop puts one on display with the same static screen lit up all day long, day after day , in vivid mode.
not a problem in normal use
i have a 2 year old samsung tablet with AMOLED - no issues at all ( except that samsung add a lot of bloatware that cannot be removed).

but TBH, my newer tablets _ Lenovo, Huawei, which don't have amoled ,look just as good when streaming netflix video.

the samsung also had a built in blue light filter and a built in reading mode option which you could toggle on/off on a per app basis. ( the latter was supposed to reduce eye strain by slowing down screen refresh ) . dunno if those features are AMOLED dependent though
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote