Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #436
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How do I install Python?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #437
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
How do I install Python?
By installing the python package from the snapshots thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Even though you have a PW3 and you used the the really good thread to jailbreak PW3 <= 9.6.1, you should read the first post in the relatively new general jailbreak thread. Because it is limited in scope to hardware version 5 and it benefits from years of hindsight and is written by a very knowledgeable excellent communicator, it really is required reading.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564

Last edited by j.p.s; 06-29-2019 at 05:44 PM.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #438
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
By installing the python package from the snapshots thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Even though you have a PW3 and you used the the really good thread to jailbreak PW3 <= 9.6.1, you should read the first post in the relatively new general jailbreak thread. Because it is limited in scope to hardware version 5 and it benefits from years of hindsight and is written by a very knowledgeable excellent communicator, it really is required reading.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564
Thanks for the link to the general jailbreak thread. It’s quite good. However, I should have been more specific. I found the package, I don’t know how to install it. What are the steps to installing Python?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #439
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Thanks for the link to the general jailbreak thread. It’s quite good. However, I should have been more specific. I found the package, I don’t know how to install it. What are the steps to installing Python?
Python is among the majority of packages that are installed via MRPI, so it doesn't have custom installation instructions, and I guess NiLuJe is a bit terse with the general instructions in his snapshots thread.

Study step #8 in the first post in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086

You have installed MRPI, right?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #440
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, agreed that this bit of documentation is offloaded to the MRPI thread, and it's not particularly expensive.

Then again it really just is as simple as "drop one or multiple .bin files in the mrpackages folder, then click Helper > Install MR Packages" .

Which is kind of the problem, the actual instructions are so simple that they feel a bit lost in the usual intro/install/usage/changelog layout .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #441
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Python is among the majority of packages that are installed via MRPI, so it doesn't have custom installation instructions, and I guess NiLuJe is a bit terse with the general instructions in his snapshots thread.

Study step #8 in the first post in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086

You have installed MRPI, right?
Yes, I've installed MRPI, but I guess I missed that Python is installed that way. In the Python package there are 3 bin files. Which one do use?

I feel so dense.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #442
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's an interminable list of Kindle nicknames in the filename, I'd hope that should be enough to figure out?

There's basically:

* An universal uninstall package
* An install package for Touch & PW1
* An install package for PW2+

Which means, for a PW3, you can do it blindfolded: the right install package has the longest filename.

All my packages are bundled in the exact same way, FWIW.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #443
jangell2
Addict

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #444
jangell2
Addict

Python is installed. I then used the lasted gz listed at the top of this thread and unpacked it and placed the bin file into the mrpackages folder and then used KUAL to install packages. It appeared to go ok, but librarian sync does not show up anywhere in the KUAL menu and I've also restarted the kindle.

Did I miss a step or should I have done it differently?
Old 06-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #445
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Bad news: The packages in the first post are outdated :/.
Good news: This doesn't actually benefit from being packaged as a .bin .

Just grab the latest sources from GitHub, and follow the first § of the installation instructions.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #446
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Bad news: The packages in the first post are outdated :/.
Good news: This doesn't actually benefit from being packaged as a .bin .

Just grab the latest sources from GitHub, and follow the first § of the installation instructions.
Well, good news. Once I followed your instructions, it worked. I didn't even have to restart the kindle.

What does the § symbol mean?

Thank you again. Collections are alive again. Now if only it would work on my Oasis, but the FW is wrong.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #447
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, that's one advantage of not needing a .bin: no restart .

§ stands for "paragraph" (in that context, at least. More generally, "section") .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-30-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #448
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep, that's one advantage of not needing a .bin: no restart .

§ stands for "paragraph" .
One more thing I learned. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #449
wow400
wow400 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hi guys - just having a bit of a problem exporting collections.

I've a JB PW3, accidentally updated to 5.12.1 so (after some help) I installed the latest hotfix & the booklet variant of KUAL. I then hid the old KUAL using a shell script, updated Python & Librarian Sync to get it all running fine.

However, although I have 12 books in a collection marked 'Read', when I export collection in LS (under KUAL), it shows that it's completed (in 0.08 secs) but the file (Kual.Kual) is empty & shows as such in Calibre.

Is this anything to do with the old version of KUAL that I can only hide, rather than delete?

Kind regards,
Nic
wow400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #450
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
The blank KUAL.kual file is the shortcut to the KUAL booklet version. Do not delete.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle collections, librariansync