Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
nee
nee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Diacritics not shown after conversion

Hello to all. While converting a pdf file to mobi/azw3 the characters from my language (Croatian) like č, ć, ž, š, đ etc. get lost. I get all the letters without the diacritic mark, so I get c, c, z, s, d.. Can you help?
Much appreciated.
nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sticky: Read this before Posting PDF Questions
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
nee
nee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
I already have! There is no concrete answer to my problem. I know pdfs are tough to be converted. I hoped someone had a similar issue and that they managed to fix it somehow.
nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It sounds like an encoding problem.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nee View Post
I already have! There is no concrete answer to my problem. I know pdfs are tough to be converted. I hoped someone had a similar issue and that they managed to fix it somehow.
Just making sure you knew. (Next time, you can jump the gun by saying so in the OP. )

I know of no way to do it, sorry. The only cure is manual fixing.

I would start by opening it in the calibre ebook editor, and running spellcheck. Assuming calibre has a croatian dictionary, that is. You should be able to import a libreoffice dictionary if not.

You should be able to find many words that are invalid without the diacritic, and correct them in bulk. I don't know if any words would be considered correct either way, but if there are any, a regex should be able to match them once you know which words to look for.

Hopefully this will repair the majority of missing diacritics. If not, the thorough way will work -- unfortunately, that means going though the whole book line by line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It sounds like an encoding problem.
No. Encoding problems leave short strings of gibberish instead of specific characters. This is a PDF conversion, which is different.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert