Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Suggestions for a 2nd reader with these specs...

NOT a tablet. Refurbished would be ok. In the 6-8" range, with front-light AND with a card slot - at least 32G. I do want something that is still being supported; i.e. updates, not concerned with tech support. I have YouTube for that!
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabana View Post
NOT a tablet. Refurbished would be ok. In the 6-8" range, with front-light AND with a card slot - at least 32G. I do want something that is still being supported; i.e. updates, not concerned with tech support. I have YouTube for that!
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know of anything out there with both 32 GBs and a card slot.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know of anything out there with both 32 GBs and a card slot.
Except of course for tablets!

OP will have to settle for 2 out of 3.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry - it's the dumb way I phrased it -- I meant that I didn't want an older ereader that would not accept a 32G sd card.

I spend quite a bit of time with relatives who either have no wifi, though it IS available within 10 or so miles or in 1 case, have no wifi, OR cell service! I like to load a 32G card with all my (non-Kindle) books and quite a bit of my music and then I can switch it to whichever device I'm wanting to use. No problem with using it on my Samsung tablet or small Lenovo laptop, except I much prefer reading on a dedicated eReader.

eta: Neglected to add, but hope it's obvious that I don't want another Kindle. I have a old Sony, not front-lit and beginning to not work well at all. It will be going to the electronic recycle shortly.

Last edited by Anabana; 08-10-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like Pocketbook still sells eReaders that use SD Card slots. The Pocket Touch Lux 4 sells for $120 (plus tax and shipping) from GoodEReader either directly or via Amazon. It comes with 8 GBs onboard RAM and an SD slot that goes up to 32 GBs. I don't know much about Pocketbooks, but you might go to the Pocketbook forum and ask folks what they think of this one. It has a touch screen (E-Carta 212ppi) and front light.

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...ok-touch-lux-4
or
https://www.amazon.com/PocketBook-To...gateway&sr=8-7

It looks like you can also buy them from Grooves.Land (a German online retailer that offers free shipping to the U.S.) for $119 to $122 depending on which color you choose.

https://www.grooves-inc.com/advanced...book+touch+lux

Pocketbook's home page for this model.
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pr...ok-touch-lux-4

Last edited by rcentros; 08-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Take a look at the Pocketbook Inkpad 3, too; I'm very happy with mine. They're hard to find in the US but you can order one from France for about $200 (depending on what the exchange rate is nowadays).

https://www.decitre.fr/liseuses/lise...152095542.html

The quoted price includes VAT which is subtracted for US orders. They shipped mine via FedEx and it arrived about 10 days after I ordered it.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Another, more inexpensive, route might be to go with a Tolino Shine (the original Tolino). GoodyStore (whom I've had good luck with) is currently advertising a couple Shines. They have SD slots and will go up to 32GB. They have a front-lit screen with 5 LEDs. The quality seems to be good. If you get an earlier one you'll get a Pearl screen, later ones came with E-Carta screens (212ppi in either case).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tolino-Shin...ox!83646!US!-1

The Buy It Now price is $30 (plus shipping and tax) but I'm pretty sure you could offer $25 (maybe less) and they would accept it. They've had these up for quite a while. The Shine is a good, solid Reader, especially if you add your own dark font. Pretty sparse interface, but Tolinos are now my favorite Readers. (If you do make an offer, be aware that they don't work on weekends.) The last eReader I bought from Goodys was ordered on Monday morning and arrived on Wednesday morning.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-10-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:19 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the trend does seem to be for e-ink reader makers to drop SD card support. I guess it interferes with claims for " waterproof" and they have decided the latter will sell more units

I am not sure how important " updates " really are, also.
when was the last time a reader firmware update actually added a new feature that you really really needed ?
a 10 year old kindle that has never been allowed online to update will still present a decent reading experience .

What about ( shockl horror) investing in 2 SD cards. a large one that will also store audio, and a smaller one that still can hold all your books.
how many Gb of books do you plan to ever own?
Old 08-11-2019, 02:38 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Along with the above options, an original Kobo H2O might fit the bill too.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:43 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

or an aura HD - I have one of those & it takes an SD card - dunno what size limitations for the card may apply though
One problem with that and with the H2o suggestion is age of device - if you buy used + a few years old then the battery may not last much longer & I dunno how simple a battery swap for a kobo is - or even if it is possible
Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
Anabana
Zealot

OK! So much helpful information - you've all given me lots of things to research, both here and elsewhere online. Plus I just realized (discovered?) that Wikipedia is a great source for the basic info on various brands - models, specs, yr of manufacture, etc.

My Paperwhite is the new one with 32G, which means it easily holds ALL my kindle books AND all my Audible books. I'm another that prefers to have access to them as well as hoping the cloud doesn't fail, or Amazon delete any.
They are on my pc as well.

rcentros & pondscum, the Pocketbook does have lots of good reviews, including ones that have been longtime owners/users and love them. However, I'm hoping to stay under $100 and have no problem with refurbished. And the Tolino you mentioned is definitely in the 'can't lose' category, isn't it?

stumped & meeera, there seem to be quite a few refurbished Kobo Aura's on eBay and Amazon well within my budget.
Lol, when it comes to books, I'm a hoarder, and with ebooks, I can indulge to my heart's content.

It really is helping me to get recommendations from all of you.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The Tolino Shine is pretty slow and doesn't offer much regarding customisation. I'd go with a Pocketbook.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
The Tolino Shine is pretty slow and doesn't offer much regarding customisation. I'd go with a Pocketbook.
That's true (these Shines were first made in 2013), but they're fine for reading and, with a good, dark font, they work well for me. The English dictionary is not stellar (to put it mildly). But most of my reading is done on a Tolino now. Unfortunately, the only Tolinos with an SD slot were the original Shine and the first Vision. SD support was dropped on all the newer models.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-12-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: changed a "their" to the correct "they're" — ugh
Old 08-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
Anabana
Zealot

As long as it lets me read the epubs on my sd card, and has a front-light, I'll be happy.
I did send an offer of $25 for the Tolino - if it's accepted, I won't be crying if it gets dropped in a lake or left behind in a cafe or coffee house. I rarely do any customization, so that really isn't a factor.

There are several new and/or refurbished Kobo Aura's on eBay in the $50-60 range. And one or two Pocketbook Basic 3's in the $80 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
the trend does seem to be for e-ink reader makers to drop SD card support. I guess it interferes with claims for " waterproof" and they have decided the latter will sell more units

I am not sure how important " updates " really are, also.
when was the last time a reader firmware update actually added a new feature that you really really needed ?
a 10 year old kindle that has never been allowed online to update will still present a decent reading experience .

What about ( shockl horror) investing in 2 SD cards. a large one that will also store audio, and a smaller one that still can hold all your books.
I see your point about 'updates' - it's usually the website or PC OS that causes problems. I'm definitely NOT a waterbaby, and much prefer the card slot - but apparently, I'm in the minority!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Aura 6" by Kobo the Original. I have a 128 gig in mine works fine. They been discontinued so you need to look for used I Suggest in Your area so you can Check it out before you buy.

You could also buy Clara HD & change the Internal SDCard.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 08-12-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote