Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #31
purplepeacock186
purplepeacock186 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also want to look for similar reader in near future. I think after reading some suggestions here, I would choose Kindle Oasis or Pocketbook Inkpad 3. Thanks all for the suggestions.
purplepeacock186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #32
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Pocketbook's Touch Lux 3 (and probably 4) can disable the touch screen with the press of a button (can be mapped to any), without needing a custom reader.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #33
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
Pocketbook's Touch Lux 3 (and probably 4) can disable the touch screen with the press of a button (can be mapped to any), without needing a custom reader.
Can you describe how it's done? I've never heard of such a feature. Is it part of the new firmware?
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #34
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Can you describe how it's done? I've never heard of such a feature. Is it part of the new firmware?
They added this feature in the firmware version 5.20.346, released in March this year. By default you double-press the menu button (the one that opens the reader's menu when you press it just once). It disables the touch sensor fully, so no page swiping or other touch gestures are possible, only the physical buttons can be used.

From the release notes:
Quote:
Adding functionality of disabling of the sensor panel during reading. It would be helpful, on the one hand, to avoid accidental touch events, for example, while reading in transport, and on the other hand, it would help to save battery energy. By default, this function is set to double click of “Menu” button (with possibility to set this functionality to any other but in “Key mapping” branch of Settings app).
Old 08-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #35
Lykke
Groupie

All the current generation of pocketbook models now have this feature, including some of stock ones.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I mostly use a Voyage and appreciate the buttons for the most part, but I would never want to disable the touchscreen as one is able to do with Oasis. I don’t seem to have significant problems with accidental page turns and often highlight, look up words, use XRay etc. and would not be without unencumbered access to these features.

I do find it annoying that the page turn buttons on Kindles are not wired up as they were on the first Kindles: they should work everywhere that there are page-like views (Kindle Store listings for example) and you should be able to use them to scroll up and down in scrolling views (many examples). But evidently they do not have a UI Consistency role on the Kindle design team; there are many UI inconsistencies that they have never been inclined to address. I suppose they are afraid to change anything that people have gotten used to. If even 1 in 100 is upset by some change that is a lot of people calling support to complain about it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #37
mchack
mchack began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g keyboard
Regression on pocketbook readers?

I own a Pocketbook Inkpad X which I like very much, but the touchscreen is driving me crazy. You have to hold the divice with very careful light touch on the slim frame, because you always change something as soon as you come near the screen. It's just very hard to read anything in bed. And it does have buttons but no, and I repeat no way of disabling the gigantic touch screen

I'm on software 6.3.798 which seems to be to most current and I don't know if the feature of disabling touch was never available on the inkpad x or if it's a regression from the 5.x software version.

Anyway it's a sorely missed feature.
mchack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #38
mchack
mchack began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchack View Post
I own a Pocketbook Inkpad X which I like very much, but the touchscreen is driving me crazy. You have to hold the divice with very careful light touch on the slim frame, because you always change something as soon as you come near the screen. It's just very hard to read anything in bed. And it does have buttons but no, and I repeat no way of disabling the gigantic touch screen

I'm on software 6.3.798 which seems to be to most current and I don't know if the feature of disabling touch was never available on the inkpad x or if it's a regression from the 5.x software version.

Anyway it's a sorely missed feature.
That's what I get for posting about the same Issue three times, now I need to correct my mistake also three times.
The feature to lock the touchscreen is there all right:
/Settings/Personalize/Key Mapping/PDF and DjVU (and/or) EPUB, FB2 and Others/Backward (Hold) -> Touch screen lock

this option is not available on any other button which is why I haven't found it earlier. anywho, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Inkpad X now. Loving it
mchack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchack View Post
this option is not available on any other button which is why I haven't found it earlier. anywho, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Inkpad X now. Loving it
Since my Touch HD3 doesn't have as a big of a screen, this isn't a huge problem, but I still like having to the option to turn off the screen. I do it about a third of the time. So far, my PocketBook Touch HD3 is my favorite eReader. And I've had way too many eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote