Notices

Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
bgeer
bgeer began at the beginning.

Device: Linux PC
Linux & Calibre 3.46.0 - viewer starts up weird

Calibre 3.46.0 & Python 2.7.16. & Qt 5.9.6

No added plugins to Calibre

ebook-viewer starts .epub display with "crushed cover image" & blank space for Table of Commnents, Footnotes, & Bookmarks.

In order to properly display the cover image, I must:
o Display Table of Comments
o Resize Table of Comments space
o Dismiss Table of Comments [click on "X" upper-right corner of space

Exit ebook-viewer then restarts again as described above, not with a full cover image.

All other aspects of ebook-viewer appear to work as expected.

Same issue if viewer is started within Calibre or by /usr/bin/ebook-viewer script.

Calibre 3.40.1 exhibited same behavior as above.

Is there a config somewhere that governs the appearance of the ebook-viewer startup screen?

Now...my Linux distro is Slackware & my Calibre install is packaged by Alien Bob at www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds. There are no doubt other code that could be creating this problem - my versions of Qt, Python, whatever.

Would also like to know if anyone else is encountering this problem. If other Linux users are not encountering this problem, don't worry about it - problem is likely my particular setup.

Much obliged for any thoughts, tho.

Cheers, Bob
bgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the official calibre binaries, this is caused by bugs in the Qt version your distro is using. The official calibre binaries come with their own Qt
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
bgeer
bgeer began at the beginning.

Device: Linux PC
Kovid, this is good advice of course. However, on one of my Linux computers I executed:

rm -rf ~/.config/calibre

and now ebook-viewer is behaving as expected. The Alien SlackBuild package I mentioned is very convenient for Slackware users so I will continue using it.

I am much obliged for your response. Indeed, thank you also for such a useful set of tools that Calibre represents. I have created several .epubs from [relatively] simple html pages that help me keep track of book series' "order to read" & short stories published on the web that I prefer to read on my tablet.

Best Wishes, Bob
bgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #4
tiptop75
tiptop75 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Version 4.4.0.0 is different from Version 3.48

I had Calibre (V 4.4.0.0) on my Samsung tablet using Win10. This was upgraded from Version 3.48 - I was able to logon to a book and on LHS of screen, there were various comands e.g forward and back , set a bookmark before leaving , changing size of font etc.
However, the current Version 4.4.0.0 does not show these commands on LHS. It only shows the percentage read to date but not page number. I cannot see where to bookmark or save before my exit.
Should I delete this new version and reinstall the previous version of 3.4.8.0?
Can anyone here advise me as I thought that I should just upgrade on line and move onto the latest version with all my library in place.
It seem so frustrating as I cannot see where I should go from the manual.

Thanks
tiptop75
tiptop75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@tiptop75 - see ==>> The E-book viewer

Quote:
You can access the viewer controls by either:

Right clicking on the text
Pressing the Esc or Menu keys
On a touchscreen by tapping the top 1/3rd or the screen
The toolbar can be shown/configured via Viewer->Preferences->Miscellaneous

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-28-2019 at 12:41 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote