Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Rotha
Rotha began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex 511EB, Kobo Touch
Unhappy Elonex 511EB - Help

Heya all,

Im hoping this is the right section to post this. I have been using my Elonex 511EB since release and its finally bugged me enough to get help. When converting pdf ebooks to epub is there any specific settings I should use on calibre to minimise words like don?t instead of dont and when words are split between lines. Should I even choose epub or just go for txt and minimise the spacing between lines. Or should I just give in and buy a better e-reader?

Last edited by Rotha; 09-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Hi Rotha, welcome.

Your issue isn't with the 511EB really, it's with converting from PDF to ePub, which is generally a hit or miss exercise as PDF format documents are laid out with the printed page in mind and the text isn't held in a way that makes it easy to pull out and convert.

I assume you've tried the Reflow setting on your Elonex? (Open the PDF, then Menu > Reflow). If that works reasonably well you wouldn't need to do the conversion.

Can I just check as well that you installed the firmware upgrade?

How complex are your PDF documents (e.g. single column, multi-column, etc)?

Can you get those documents in a format other than PDF for your conversion source?

If you want to read PDFs formatted for A4 or Letter on an e-reading device without mucking about with zoom or squinting, you really need a 10" screen or bigger.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Rotha
Rotha began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex 511EB, Kobo Touch
Hi Graham, Thanks for replying.

I have tried the reflow but it just took so long to swap pages. Yes I have installed the firmware update, did that on release date. Unfortunatley no I cant get my pdf books in any other format atleast not the ones I own already as I have been buying ebooks for years and have 500+ now. There not too complex all single column. I'm just looking for them to be easy to read without too many of the split words and symbols added in.
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I'll leave this for the Calibre wizards to tackle, then. The converted ePub files you end up will look much the same on any reader.

Graham
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard

EDIT: I was asking the moderators to move the thread to the Calibre section, but Rotha, it might be easier if you start a new thread there specifically asking for help on converting PDF to ePub.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-23-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Advert