Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #61
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know folks who love shopping at Baen and Smashwords. And there are the UK stores that sell regardless of location issues. And all the places to get free books. There are folks who have had Kindles for a couple of years and who have not bought a book from Amazon.

The point is that no one is locked into Amazon when they buy a Kindle any more then someone is locked into B&N when they buy a Nook. For all of the Nook's openness, there are still people who have ended up buying a Kindle because they can find the books they want at Amazon and not at the wide variety of EPub sites that are available to folks with the Nook. There are even topics on this very point here on this board.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #62
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Pulls the pin, tosses the grenade:

But you ARE locked out of (legal) library ebook access with a Kindle.

Funny. I seem to recall that I have said THAT in other threads, as well.

Just providing the WHOLE story.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #63
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Not all libraries but most. Yup. Which is why I have recommended the Nook to people who like to use the library.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #64
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Pulls the pin, tosses the grenade:

But you ARE locked out of (legal) library ebook access with a Kindle.

Funny. I seem to recall that I have said THAT in other threads, as well.

Just providing the WHOLE story.
There were 4 reasons I bought the nook over any of the other eReaders I have looked at over the last 10-15 years.

1. User replaceable battery
2. Epub files (I know you can convert but the only option with Kindle is Mobi and I have seen the conversions; some are really bad).
3. External SD card
4. Works with the 4 different libraries I borrow from

There is only one single problem I have with the nook

1. The sort system for the library is worse than any database I have seen in 25 years. They leave out all kinds of things available to B&N content. Additionally, it falls apart with more than 1275 titles or so. As much as Kindle wants to keep you buying their titles, even they give you folders that are recognized.

Given that my softrooting has totally solved the problem, I will only need fixes on the new nook if mine dies. But if B&N doesn't improve their library, my next purchase will be a Kindle and I will start the long process of converting everything to Mobi. Or possibly look at the Kobo.

Bottom line: eReaders are absolutely no good is I cannot find my stored titles and infuriating if I can only use 5% of the 16 Gb of the storage space before I corrupt the database.

Last edited by chas0039; 10-15-2010 at 05:47 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #65
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Interesting observation on the folders thing, Chas. Not having one, or even having more than 500 books, the lack of folders is something I about which I have heard complaints, but being unable to use even a full 4g card without a corrupted dBase is an eye-catcher.

It wouldn't be enuff to drive me to a Kindle until they get rid of that irritating keyboard (irritating to me cuz I would have limited use for it, so it is wasted area). But at this time, I have an Astak PPro which does folders just fine, and there are others (at least for now) that also provide folder capability along with Library access and any ADE epub source.

Until the Astak dies, any other reader I purchase would be maybe to read at home on a larger screen and reserve the PPro 5" screen for travelling. In that case, I probably wouldn't have more than a few current books loaded. But it would be nice to have the option and not be limited by the device.

We can only keep our fingers crossed that B&N finally gets the message about folders.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Not all libraries but most. Yup. Which is why I have recommended the Nook to people who like to use the library.
Legally yes, you are locked out of all libraries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
What's funny is that Amazon owns Mobipocket; yet the Kindle is unable to read Mobi DRM. Too bad, because some public libraries actually have Mobi as one of their format choices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #68
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I have to say that, since losing my Nook, I am looking at some other devices. Of course, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Nook 2. But since B&N aren't saying anything...
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #69
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
It is kind of strange that so far there isn't even a whisper of a Nook 2. I'm wondering if there is one really on the horizon or if it may be something that comes way into 2011 if at all. Granted all the turmoil at B&N may be the biggest reason for the delay.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #70
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
The longer I wait for a Nook 2, the more likely I am to buy a different reader or maybe a current Nook. My wife's on her way to Target which is in the same facility as a B&N. Maybe I'll catch a ride with her...
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
It is kind of strange that so far there isn't even a whisper of a Nook 2. I'm wondering if there is one really on the horizon or if it may be something that comes way into 2011 if at all. Granted all the turmoil at B&N may be the biggest reason for the delay.
Waiting until next year will cost them lots of customers. The holiday season starts next month and shoppers won't wait until after Christmas to buy presents.

Remember last year's fiasco when B&N couldn't meet demand?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #72
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
On the nookboard there was brief talk about something possibly happening the last week in October. This from one of the booksellers.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #73
RedCylon
RedCylon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Color!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20867...d_briefly.html
RedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #74
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Good catch. I would be interested, but it is too large and I don't really read anything in color. So, after first glance, they are clearly looking at a market share that does not include me. Oh well, I get to keep the money in my pocket.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #75
jediliz
jediliz began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3! Just started using it November 24th
if this Nook Color thing IS real....how can B&N have the ability to have a color screen (does it possibly have to do with Android?) and Amazon does not?
jediliz is offline   Reply With Quote