Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
arroba
arroba began at the beginning.

Device: irex DR800S
Best led light for the prs-900?

Hi everybody!

I received my prs-900 a week ago. When I saw the screen I almost start to cry, ( It seems I am one of those who hates the glare, especially after reading in a dr800). Yesterday night I decided to give it a last chance before returning it, and I start reading with a frontal led torch. Miracle! It worked! I could follow my novel instead of looking for the right angle!

I want to buy now a led light for the reader(now I start to appreciate it ). I have the sony original case. I´ve seen there are a few of them available; the sony light, the m-edge e-illuminater and the mighty bright xtra flex... which one would you recommend?

Thanks!
arroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
I use the Mighty Bright on my 900. I clip it onto the right side of the reader.
You're right in that it pretty much gets rid of all glare.
But I read mostly at night, so I have to have the light!
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I have the PRS-900 cover with light and I love it. I don't about the others since this is the only one I have. It's on sale at TigerDirect for $39.99 (the lowest I've seen it. You can see pictures of it in this thread: http://www.sonyreaderboards.com/foru...wforum.php?f=5

Last edited by Lilly; 01-25-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I have the PRS-900 cover with light and I love it. I don't about the others since this is the only one I have. It's on sale at TigerDirect for $39.99 (the lowest I've seen it. You can see pictures of it in this thread: http://sonyreaderboards.com/index.cg...lay&thread=558
Is that cover light any good? I ordered it as well, from Amazon, but they sent me the wrong cover - a smaller one, for the PRS600 (I think). But one thing I noticed is that the light was very weak - hardly something that would illuminate the whole screen uniformly. So instead of getting it exchanged, I took a refund and bought the MightyBright DoubleFlex:

http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...oductList.html

The two lights cover the entire surface nicely and evenly and with no glare or reflection.

But I would buy the cover light as well, if it works - it just seems easier to carry around.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Well, the OEM light cover doesn't illuminate the whole screen evenly but it works well enough that I stick with just that. I really like how it is packaged into a slightly wider cover so I have it with me 24/7. Yes, I would still prefer a wider LED or two-stalk version. If someone comes up with one I'm a buyer.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
AZ_Dee
AZ_Dee doesn't litterAZ_Dee doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-900, Kindle 3/3g
I use the PRS-900 cover with light as well.

Initially, I was pretty disappointed with the light because it illuminated the top half of the reader fine, but the bottom half of the screen was very poorly lit. However, I now position it from a side angle that makes my reading experience absolutely wonderful. Hopefully, I can explain this well enough:

Lifting the light stick from its compartment in the cover I pull it straight up toward the top of the reader, fully extending it. I then bend it in a "U" shape with the head of the light facing back down toward the bottom of the reader. Then with the light itself, I angle it toward the screen/right side of the reader and it lights the entire reading surface with no glare and no dark spots.

I learned this was the best angle for reading (for me?) when I used the PRS-600 light cover for my PRS-505 in the past.

Hope that helps!
AZ_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I think the cover light for the PRS-900 is great. It does not feel flimsy to me so maybe the one for the PRS-600 is different. I angle my almost of the screen and it illuminate the entire screen evenly and I've used it a couple of times and I love it.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Xtraflex2 Dual Sup Led is really good.
Like this one
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I am interested in the Sony light cover, but would like to know how much heavier it makes the reader to hold? Because reading in bed means lying down, and lying down means lazy. I read with a bedside light at the moment, but it does not seem to brighten the screen quite enough.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
AZ_Dee
AZ_Dee doesn't litterAZ_Dee doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-900, Kindle 3/3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I am interested in the Sony light cover, but would like to know how much heavier it makes the reader to hold?
If you're using the cover that came with the PRS-900, I'd say it's negligible compared to that. The added weight of a AAA battery and plastic casing is what I would factor in.

I also read in bed with my light cover and have had no issues with it being too heavy or my hand(s) getting tired. Granted, I usually have it propped on my chest or if I'm on my side it's in my arm and on the bed itself
AZ_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I thought the added weight was noticeable at first but now I'm used to it. I like the effective balance in the hand much better than using a clip-on I had from my old reader.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote