Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Professorshak
Professorshak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why im returning the Nook...

The Nook is an awesome device. I highly recommend it to those looking for an ereader. It's light and comfortable in the hand, great for travel. The eink is crisp and easy to read. I was pleasantly surprised to see the current newspapers ready to read when I was up.

Navigating the device has been my biggest gripe followed by the randomness of how articles are displayed especially with pdfs. It just becomes annoying as lines are cut and spread out. The LCD could also be more responsive. I need to really push to get it to follow instructions. All this is because I'm so used to my iphone or desktop screen and the ability to zoom/pan with the flick of a mouse or finger.

The issue is not with the device but with my expectations. I feel the iPad would be better suited for my needs, but that device would still have its own issues. It costs too much, too big and heavy, and news/magazine apps are still lacking.

My solution would be to either wait for the 2nd gen iPad (assuming they make some size/weight improvements, or maybe make an iPad Mini) or see if the current price for ipads will go down.

The ideal device for me would be an eInk reader that has a full screen color display and is touch sensitive and allows zooming/panning (Keep dreaming)

Current eInk Readers aren't for me, so I'll be keeping an eye out for new devices and technologies. Maybe by this time next year or sooner, something will come up.

Thank to all for the advice.
Professorshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Sounds like you may be better off with one of the 7" Android tablets that are starting to arrive. (Give it about three months.)
For an idea of what they'll look like, check out the Pandigital Novel. (There's several threads around here.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
The "lines are cut and spread out" in PDF is with all 5" or 6" e-ink screen especially if you try to zoom, and not a nook specific thing. I do agree the LCD is not responsive enough and you don't know how hard and for how long you should push the LCD buttons each time to take the effect - it is not very consistent to say the least, takes quite some time to learn, and I hate the LCD drain the battery. But in all, I am still quite happy with the nook, I just dont like the LCD - well, I guess it's a personal thing, some people rave about the LCD and even bought the nook just because of the LCD, to each his own!
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
The "lines are cut and spread out" in PDF is with all 5" or 6" e-ink screen especially if you try to zoom, and not a nook specific thing. I do agree the LCD is not responsive enough and you don't know how hard and for how long you should push the LCD buttons each time to take the effect - it is not very consistent to say the least, takes quite some time to learn, and I hate the LCD drain the battery. But in all, I am still quite happy with the nook, I just dont like the LCD - well, I guess it's a personal thing, some people rave about the LCD and even bought the nook just because of the LCD, to each his own!
If I wanted an LCD, I would just get an iPad.

Then again, I'm pretty black or white. I'd rather go all the way LCD if that was something I wanted.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
I also returned the Nook a week ago, but, honestly, I dont understand how people can compare iPad with e-ink devices. LCD SCREENS ARE NOT FOR READING, PERIOD. If you want to kill your eyes go with iPad, but if you want a reading device you must have an e-Ink. There are lots of other great devices that should handle PDFs better than Nook. The Nook is cheap now and that is where it wins now. I m not going to buy it again though
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
There are lots of other great devices that should handle PDFs better than Nook.
If you are talking about e-Ink devices, I d like to hear where are the lots of other great devices that hanlde PDFs better than the nook. I think only Kindle DX has the potential to handle PDFs better given the screen size being much bigger, and it is in the same line of thinking, many would consider the 9" ipad a viable option. I have tried four different 5" and 6" e-ink devices and as far as PDF is concerned (especially the scanned PDFs), they all suck.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
If you are talking about e-Ink devices, I d like to hear where are the lots of other great devices that hanlde PDFs better than the nook. I think only Kindle DX has the potential to handle PDFs better given the screen size being much bigger, and it is in the same line of thinking, many would consider the 9" ipad a viable option. I have tried four different 5" and 6" e-ink devices and as far as PDF is concerned (especially the scanned PDFs), they all suck.
Well, I didnt say there are 6" devices that handle PDFs perfectly. I said there are better choices out there than the Nook in this case. I am leaning towards Onyx Boox for example, cause it at least has landscape mode and margins removal ability. I havent tested Onyx (Bebook) though so I cant say with 100% assurance how good it is in PDFs but reviews says its pretty descent. You can also crop PDFs and put em in landscape mode but again...Nook does not have landscape mode either.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Well, I didnt say there are 6" devices that handle PDFs perfectly. I said there are better choices out there than the Nook in this case. I am leaning towards Onyx Boox for example, cause it at least has landscape mode and margins removal ability. I havent tested Onyx (Bebook) though so I cant say with 100% assurance how good it is in PDFs but reviews says its pretty descent. You can also crop PDFs and put em in landscape mode but again...Nook does not have landscape mode either.
I read the original post saying "It just becomes annoying as lines are cut and spread out", this obviously was referring to text-based PDF files whose font when enlarged puts line breaks and page breaks all over the places. I really doubt a mere landscape mode can fix that. PDF by nature inherently is a page-level formatting document container whose font type and size is fixed in an intended layout and whose fonts are not meant to be enlarged. I really doubt any reader can enlarge the font and at the same time keep decent layouts and properly wrapped lines and get rid of hard line breaks that were integrated in the original PDF. To achieve that, one would think the screen will need to be bigger enough to hold the original page layout and the content still readable, there are very very few such portable readers out there that has such a big screen except for the Kindle DX and an iPad.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
LCD SCREENS ARE NOT FOR READING, FOR ME. If I want to kill my eyes, I'll go with iPad, but if I want a reading device I must have an e-Ink.
Fixed that for you
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
I read the original post saying "It just becomes annoying as lines are cut and spread out", this obviously was referring to text-based PDF files whose font when enlarged puts line breaks and page breaks all over the places. I really doubt a mere landscape mode can fix that. PDF by nature inherently is a page-level formatting document container whose font type and size is fixed in an intended layout and whose fonts are not meant to be enlarged. I really doubt any reader can enlarge the font and at the same time keep decent layouts and properly wrapped lines and get rid of hard line breaks that were integrated in the original PDF. To achieve that, one would think the screen will need to be bigger enough to hold the original page layout and the content still readable, there are very very few such portable readers out there that has such a big screen except for the Kindle DX and an iPad.
I agree with you. The bigger the better. I described what I didnt like in Nook in Nooks' section so I would nt like to repost. Its a great device and I even liked LCD screen navigation. But it just does not serve my needs. I havent tested PDFs with removed margins in landscape mode on other devices but I think it should be quite readable in natural resolution. Nook is good for reading books in ePub in English and basically thats it. for 149 price cant complain but I d rather toss a coin and buy more powerful device with more features.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Fixed that for you
LOL, thank you. I sit the whole day by LCD screens and can tell the difference. Anyway, enjoy your huge iPod but dont stare at it for more than 15 minutes. If you still have good eyes just save them for better use.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
LOL, thank you. I sit the whole day by LCD screens and can tell the difference. Anyway, enjoy your huge iPod but dont stare at it for more than 15 minutes. If you still have good eyes just save them for better use.
I'll take lots of breaks
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote