Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
rtf1976
rtf1976 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Unhappy Disappointment....................

One of three things now that I have my 505 back from Sony after being repaired that have disappointed me:-

1. Am scared to use my reader after reading so many threads about damaged screens and of what happened to me (I did take my reader on holiday with me but it was wrapped in bubble plastic and then placed in a hard lunch box type case and then put in my carry on bag for the flight) My partner laughed at me when she casually threw her paperback on the floor, brushed her teeth got into bed and I was still trying to wrap my reader up (Concerned that in the middle of the night that there would be one of the kids with nightmares/sore stomach etc etc and the reader would be knocked of the night stand) Am a nervous wreck lol

2. Lack of books I want. I can read a variety of books and enjoy them but sometimes I just want to read a book cause it looks good an it appeals to me. I enjoy Robert Ludlum/Tom Clancy/Clive Clussler just for a good old bit of escapism but for instance Robert Ludlums "The Artic Adventure" on ebooks.com is not available outside basically the USA. Waterstones and W H Smiths are pretty limited so I guess just will have to wade through mountains of books that have little or no appeal to me just on the off chance of finding a gem.

3. So far I have spent about £100 on books, yet I don't own a single thing. I cant lend them to anyone so in a way, hard copy of books will never die out because of this. Imagine not being lend your paperback to a friend and inspiring them to go out and buy more books by that author?
rtf1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
1. I wouldn't worry as much about that. Don't keep it in a backpack is my best advice, nor in your back pocket. I've dropped mine twice now, with no problems to the screen. I even dropped a lighter on the screen and it only nicked it. Just be cautious.

2. Yeah, that's a big problem for those outside of the US. Sign are pointing to better times (I hear Borders is going to start an ebookstore over there). I think that there are some other stores with more options for you UK folks. Hopefully someone will chime in.

3. This is the crappy thing about DRM. However, you can share between devices if they are on the same account, or non DRMed books.

Most of these issues are common across the board with e-ink devices, not just Sony. Heh, if that makes you feel better.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I keep my PRS-505 in my purse, in the cover it came with, which is missing one of its end tabs. At night, it goes on the headboard over the bed. Or sometimes in the printer tray next to the computer, if I've been uploading books onto it. I carry it everywhere. I try to treat it gently, but I don't wrap it in bubble wrap & handle it with gloves--if it can't take everday use, I need to find that out.

There are thousands of free ebooks available here, and at manybooks.net and feedbooks.com, and DRM-free ebooks available at Baen.com and smashwords.com. They aren't the currently top-of-the-charts books, but there's a great deal of wonderful literature (for any definition of "wonderful" that doesn't require a current NYT Book List rating) available for the Reader. It does take some work to find them, though; that's part for the Reading Recommendations forum.

(Which leads to a thought--it'd be great if some enterprising coder figured out how to arrange a recomendations list of "if you like [this] popular author, you might like [these] public domain/creative commons works.")
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
rtf1976

I guess I am just moaning cause I saw the book and really wanted to read it..............did i forget to mention its my birthday today
Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtf1976 View Post
I guess I am just moaning cause I saw the book and really wanted to read it..............did i forget to mention its my birthday today
Happy birthday!

Well if you know anyone in the US, get them to download the ebooklibrary and have them send you gift certificates to the ebookstore. Then you can buy those books
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
rtf1976

Going to throw a temper tantrum and start stamping my feet like the kids shouting "Its my birthday and I want to read The Artic Adventure" and see how the kids like it for a change lol
Old 04-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
but for instance Robert Ludlums "The Artic Adventure" on ebooks.com is not available outside basically the USA.
Do you mean The Arctic Event? I can't find a book from him titled The Arctic Adventure.

Books on Board has it in ePub, unless it's one of those geographically restricted titles (of course there are ways around that).
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=380619

ebooks are newer to UK/European publishers so it's going to take a little bit before the depth of titles available reaches what US publishers offer unfortunately.

There's no doubt it's disappointing when you can't get the titles you want.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-27-2009 at 03:22 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have had mine for two years. I have dropped it, shoved it into bags, left it in the son, spilled water on it and it is fine. On the other hand my wife leaned back on her 500 and cracked the screen. Don't worry. Just enjoy.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I just bought a case for mine that was designed for netbooks. (I'm a knitter so I carry my knitting around, rather than my book, but I like to have it if I'm going to be away from home overnight.)

My local Target store had them on clearance for $5 (vs $20). It's a little bigger than what I need, but I figure if it was intended to protect a netbook with a big expensive screen, then it will work for my reader too, right? I have the light wedge cover and it all fit easily.

It's a girly design but as long as netbooks continue to become popular, cheap padded carrying bags should become more widespread.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #10
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you see the paper book, why not buy that? It is the same price. For the Reader get the cheap / free books from this site or Baen or Manybooks. (And there is the Darknet with a much better selection than any of the stores.)
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I enjoy Robert Ludlum/Tom Clancy/Clive Clussler just for a good old bit of escapism
If you like the mystery/suspense type genre try out this author

http://www.boydmorrison.com/

The author is a member here at mobileread and is offering his 3 books free of charge. You will want to download the epub version. A few have read The Ark (including myself) and they are very good books.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote