Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Angry Got stuck with 505 apparently

Hey guys, how's it going?

I'm not doing so great here. I'm in Argentina and my girlfriend is now in USA and will be there untill march but that's not the reason why I'm not feeling so hot today.

Ok, first things first. She's a DisneyWorld Cast Member and she's in Orlando, Florida. I don't know if you guys know about this, but Cast Members in Orlando get crazy discounts like %10 off on some stores and things like that.

Now, I wanted to buy a PRS 700 (yes, I know, glare and all that.. I'm a med-student so search and faster cpu have greater appeal for me than crispness) so I wired my girlfriend the money so that she could purchase it over there and gave it to me when she get back. Sounds like a plan, huh?

Turns out she went to a store to buy the blessed thing and the clerks told her that it costs $500. She knew that wasn't right so she argued that on Sony's site the PRS 700 costs $399 and that she wouldn't pay the extra $100. Apparently the guys talked to each other and told her that they would give her one for $350 (danger will robinson, danger) seeing as she was a Cast Member.

They wrapped the Reader up and she happily went on her way. She got home and skyped me, turned on the camera proudly to show me the Reader she also got cheaper, unveiled the gift wrap and.... disclosed a PRS 505SC.

We were not pleased.

The next day she went back to the store and the guys told her that they had a "No change no refund" policy and she would have to suck it. Not literally but figuratively. They told her that if she wanted the PRS 700 she would have to pay the remaining $150 for the "full price" or get 350 bucks in "store credit" or get lost. This time literally.

Clearly we want neither.

Given that I work in Argentina and earn in Pesos (Argentina's Currency), one dollar roughly equals 3.5 pesos. So I've been ripped off 1225 pesos! Think of this as being robbed 1225 dollars and you will understand my frustration.

I was hoping that you guys might help me out here and give me some information on what she could do because since I'm not from the US I have very little knowledge of that country's Consumer Protection Laws (though I've been googling and found some things she could do -write a letter, etc-).

Any thoughts?

Thanks to all for reading anyways.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
I was hoping that you guys might help me out here and give me some information on what she could do because since I'm not from the US I have very little knowledge of that country's Consumer Protection Laws (though I've been googling and found some things she could do -write a letter, etc-).
What store did she buy it from? Am I to understand the box is still open. Most stores will take stuff back within 5-10 days if unopened.

What you might do is bring the 505 to Target. Say it was a gift and they she wanted to return it and get the 700. Tell them since it was a gift she doesn't have a receipts. Since it is still new in an unsealed box Target will probably take it back, especially if you only want store credit.

This is assuming a Target in her area has a 700 in stock.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Where on earth did she buy it? I'm assuming it was in the wrong box too, since the 505 boxes have the picture splashed all over it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
. Since it is still new in an unsealed box Target will probably take it back, especially if you only want store credit.

BOb
Hey BOb, don't really know which store she bought it from, sorry. About the box, when she went to return it the guys at the store opened it to "show her it was working so they couldn't take it back". Yeah, I know, fubar.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey BOb, don't really know which store she bought it from, sorry. About the box, when she went to return it the guys at the store opened it to "show her it was working so they couldn't take it back". Yeah, I know, fubar.
Hmm.. you still may be able to return it to Target as a gift. But, Target probably sells it for $299.

BOb
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
At $350, they charged her $50 over the normal selling price of the 505. It sounds like a shady store that was preying on your girlfriend's lack of knowledge. Have her go back to the store and demand to talk to the store manager.

Also, the "no change no refund" policy, have her check the sales receipt to see if that language is printed on the receipt. Otherwise, check for a sign in the store to that effect.

Last edited by grooks; 01-30-2009 at 11:48 AM.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
At $350, they charged her $50 over the normal selling price of the 505. It sounds like a shady store that was preying on your girlfriend's lack of knowledge. Have her go back to the store and demand to talk to the store manager.
My guess is that she went to some tourist trap store. Prices there are always higher on stuff.

BOb
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
el.astrologo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Where on earth did she buy it? I'm assuming it was in the wrong box too, since the 505 boxes have the picture splashed all over it.
It was the 505 box but she didn't check. They put the PRS in the bag and gave it to her. She assumed it was the right one.

Quote:
Hmm.. you still may be able to return it to Target as a gift. But, Target probably sells it for $299.

BOb
You are right, maybe that would work. It would be a 50 buck loss but hey.. better than nothing...

Thanks for your help so far, guys. Anything else you may add please do so
Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was the 505 box but she didn't check. They put the PRS in the bag and gave it to her. She assumed it was the right one.
I would have been curious when they changed their minds and said they would drop the price from $500 to $350 when she was willing to pay $400 which is the list price.

BOb
Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
el.astrologo
Groupie

Quote:
I would have been curious when they changed their minds and said they would drop the price from $500 to $350 when she was willing to pay $400 which is the list price.

BOb
I know... and I would have threatened to call the police or get loud just to get some results
Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
el.astrologo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post

Also, the "no change no refund" policy, have her check the sales receipt to see if that language is printed on the receipt. Otherwise, check for a sign in the store to that effect.
She did talk to the manager, that's the guy who told her that if she wanted the PRS 700 she would have to pay the remaining $150 for the "full price" or get 350 bucks in "store credit" or get lost.

The receipt says "no change no refund" :S
Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow totally shady place.

I would def. ask her to talk to the store manager about it and if possible, ask her to print out the sony list price from the sony website and bring that with her. At the very least, she should be able to argue and get back the difference in price. Is the $350 the final price, including tax?

Really sorry to hear she got tricked like that.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
These guys are crooks, theives, and a**holes, and you should take them to small claims court, and sue them for the maximum amount allowable by law. Have her keep her receipt.

Also, go to the Attorney General's Office in the state of Florida and file a compliant.

After-the-fact comment: She should never have bought it from that store, and all red flags should have been gusting in the wind, unfurled, and waving like crazy!

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Wow totally shady place.

I would def. ask her to talk to the store manager about it and if possible, ask her to print out the sony list price from the sony website and bring that with her. At the very least, she should be able to argue and get back the difference in price. Is the $350 the final price, including tax?
Of course there is no rule or law that says you can't sell a product for more than the list price.

BOb
Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Of course there is no rule or law that says you can't sell a product for more than the list price.

BOb
I recently bought a portable DVD player from a big name high-street "consumer electronics" store here in the UK (Currys). When I got home I thought I'd look on Amazon to see how much cheaper it would have been there - Amazon's prices are generally very competitive for such things. To my astonishment, Amazon were charging £50 more for it than I paid in the store!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote