Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
iLiad vs. PRS-505 - Vizplex or not?

As promised in this thread, i've grabbed a coworkers PRS-505 today and did a comparison with my old, but freshly serviced iLiad (w/ a new screen).

Is it Vizplex or not? Is it faster or slower? Is it brighter or not?
You be the judge...

Click for full size

Click for full size
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Nice one-handed maneuvering! Looks like refresh rate is about the same on both models.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Nice one-handed maneuvering!
LOL
Thanks!

Too bad i didn't manage to get them quite in sync. Did my best, but the page load times are too unpredictable.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
frimbob
frimbob began at the beginning.

Device: I-Rex
I am glad that I didn't buy Sony.
frimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't really compare the Sony and the iLiad - they are aimed at completely different markets. Each is "good" in its own area and has shortcomings in others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
But what you can see, is, that the iLiad has a better contrast than the Sony. Even though, they dont use Vizplex, the controller does a very fine job. But it is nothing anyone would notice, unless the devices are side by side.

Thanks for the little comparison though
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the second photo it looks like the text on the iLiad is bold vs the 505 at normal. Can that photo be redone without bold text on the iLiad?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
artur
Enthusiast
artur is on a distinguished road

Device: (broken) iLiad 2, DR800S, Sony 505
It seems to me that Iliad has a better contrast, but is slower.
artur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Honestly haveing had both for a while now. I can barely see any difference in contrast.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I have both of these as well and sometimes the Sony looks brighter and sometimes the iLiad seems brighter. I just wish I could get the iLiad screen with the Sony thinness and operating system, especially since it now supports epub!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
All the new iLiads since the Ebbok Edition came out, seem to use Vizplex e-ink. It has not been advertised by iRex though, since its not faster since the controller has not changed, and i personally cannot see much of a contrast change.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what improvement it would make. Based on the specs (assuming they're accurate), the original iLiad screen has better contrast than vizplex. The only advantage to vizplex that I could see was the slightly better speed. As you mention, with the same controller though, I don't know if the speed will be any different.

Karel said on their forum that he'd try to find some time soon to write up more information about it. Hopefully he'll answer some more of our questions when he does that.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Ovydake
Ovydake began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Based on what I red on iRex forum (I don't remember where exactly) the iLiads newer than may 2008 use vizplex, but they think of it as a minor update, so they did not consider announcing it.
Ovydake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
Jusin
Jusin began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
E-ink did not yet published 16 gray scale vizplex. I am not sure if other companies

made it. Um. I do not even know which supplies iliad. 16 gray scale contrast

will show its value on picture and pdf.
Jusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
Ovydake
Ovydake began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
iLiad make their own displays, they only buy the components (e-ink etc.), that is why they have 16 grayscale and 8,1" displays.
Ovydake is offline   Reply With Quote