Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, and I appreciate your post, but how do I get a book (epub,No DRM) that is not shown in the list of books into the iPad or into the list of books that is shown in iTunes? In other words, the book I want to load is not in the books shown in iTunes.
Ok, I did it I had to click on Books at the top list of the sidebar, then drag the bbook into iTunes The list of all the booKs, then close iTunes, then restart iTunes and the book showed up and then synched. That sync only took a few seconds. There's got to be an easier way.
Sorry, I apparently misunderstood what you were asking. Well, they have changed how this works on a Mac, not sure about Windows. The way it used to work on both Mac and Windows was that you went to the Books tab in iTunes, selected File --> Add To Library, selected the books you wanted to sideload, then clicked Open. (These are the Mac instructions, Windows was similar). I don't know if this still works in Windows.

On the Mac running Mavericks (latest Mac OS X), we now have an iBooks app. You have to use the iBooks app to add/sideload books to iBooks. So open iBooks, then select File --> Add To Library, select the books you want to sideload, then click Open. The books are now in iBooks and also listed in the Books tab of iTunes. So go back to iTunes and use it to sync the books. Whew, that was convoluted!

ETA: And this is one of many reasons I don't use iBooks!

Last edited by jswinden; 01-20-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
You can just drag and drop rather than doing File->Add To Library, but yes.

Otherwise, you can just use Dropbox -> Open In -> iBooks. It's easy.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

ETA: And this is one of many reasons I don't use iBooks!
And the reason I stopped using it. Fortunately I had resisted buying books from the apple book store, and only have one. It can live in ibooks forever, but none of my other books will ever go there again.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
And the reason I stopped using it. Fortunately I had resisted buying books from the apple book store, and only have one. It can live in ibooks forever, but none of my other books will ever go there again.
I think I only bought one iBooks book too, right after a got my first iOS device a few years ago. I've sideloaded a few ePubs into iBooks over the years just to see how they displayed there, but otherwise I was never an iBooks user.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #20
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I take it that these methods of getting ePub books into iBooks only works with DRM free books since only my free classics seem to go into iBooks. I like the way iBooks does columns but apparently this means that without cabbages' apprentice I'm left with several thousand dollars worth of books that can't be read on my new Retina Mini without using some other rendering engine.

I apologize for being grumpy but I sure wish they'd get this mess straightened out.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #21
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I take it that these methods of getting ePub books into iBooks only works with DRM free books since only my free classics seem to go into iBooks. I like the way iBooks does columns but apparently this means that without cabbages' apprentice I'm left with several thousand dollars worth of books that can't be read on my new Retina Mini without using some other rendering engine.

I apologize for being grumpy but I sure wish they'd get this mess straightened out.
Where are you other epubs from? I'm guessing they have Adobe Digital Editions DRM on them, in which case if you don't want to befriend the Apprentice, you can just use a different reading app. There are the shop-specific apps, like Kobo, or you can use an app like Bluefire Reader. None of these apps cost money.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Another couple of ways (not using iTunes) are iFunBox & iMacSoft.

iMacsoft's "iPad to PC Transfer" (versions for botheWindows & Mac) cost $19 US. This is my preferred method.

iFunBox is free (also has both Windows & Mac versions). Good at the price but IMO iMacSoft's SW is better & easier to use.

You can move books (&other files) both ways, from PC to iPad & from iPad to PC. Easy to move them in batches or individually.

Last edited by slayda; 02-26-2014 at 05:31 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, epub, ipad, side load, transfer