Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
So far, Mavericks is working fine on my mid-2009 MBP - 17 in, 2.8 gHz, 4GB RAM (need a RAM upgrade).

I opened iBooks and didn't see any compelling reason to use it. I didn't notice a prompt to import my existing books, other than those from the Apple store (which I don't have), but maybe I missed it.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #32
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I think I won't be upgrading from Mountain Lion. Upgrading OSs often brings at least as much headache as joy.

Upgrading to Mavericks may be free, but upgrading my virtualisation software is not. Parallels Desktop want me to pay €50 to them for a Mavericks upgrade. That sucks.
I hear ya. My MacBook Pro came with Lion when I bought it. Didn't like it. (would've much rather had Snow Leopard). I upgraded to Mountain Lion hoping that it would correct the issues that I had with Lion... nope, a slightly worse experience. So when Mavericks was released, I figured why not and installed it.

The first 24 hours with Mavericks was painful... It was clear that there was a lot of one-time initialization, index, prefetch cache creation, etc. After the system settled down, I find Mavericks, performance-wise, to be significantly better than either Lion or Mountain Lion.

As for Parallels. I too was ticked off that they charged to upgrade for every little uptick in OSX. (And no, paying for a bundle that includes Parallels and bunch of junk doesn't make the proposition appealing)

I ended switch to Oracle's VirtualBox. It is free and it recognized my Parallels XP partition. It works great. I like that it is very "clean" on the OSX side and doesn't install a bunch of shadow shortcuts and stuff. Depending upon how you use Parallels, VirtualBox might be a viable alternative.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just upgraded. Only problem so far is that the version of McAfee Security I had (free for 'home use' via a previous employer) is not Mavericks compatible. So I uninstalled that and will probably try something free.

VMware Fusion 4 seems to still work but hard to say for sure. I'm moving the VMs to my Windows box for the time being just in case.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #34
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I upgraded to Mavericks on my 2009 MBP and even though it runs great, I have a big beef with it. I think I had somehow turned all anti-aliasing (AKA FUZZY BLURRY TEXT) off in Mountain Lion. Now there seems to be no way to change it in Mavericks or in Safari. Fuzzy blurry text everywhere is driving me nuts.

eP
eP, I wonder if this article addresses your issue.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...-high-res-disp
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Thanks, Bookworm, yes that is the issue I am having. There's no resolution to the problem in there, though!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Thanks, Bookworm, yes that is the issue I am having. There's no resolution to the problem in there, though!

eP
Under Answer 4 there is a suggestion to change the smoothing value by command line.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I tried setting the font smoothing to 1 and maybe it looks a tiny bit better. I tried setting it to 0 (which should be no font smoothing) and nothing happened. There used to be a way (via command line or a checkbox in the preferences) to turn off font smoothing below a certain font size. This has been removed in Mavericks.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote