Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is putting on so many at a time and taking note of the ones put on. Then if it slows down, you can remove the ePub put on and try different ones. Maybe there's a problem with some of them.

You could run them all past epubcheck 3.0.1 to make sure they have no technical errors that could cause a problem.

My suggestion is ePub-Checker.

http://download.pagina-online.de/epu..._Win-1.2.0.zip <--- Windows version
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
JSWOLF's suggestion about putting on only so many at a time is very good. And keeping track.

I have a Sony T1 with around 8000 books on SD card and it is not slower than with 4000 in main memory.

I have Kobo Aura with about 1500 books on SD card and it is only slow when opening shelf menu. I had 2500 books on it and it was slower on opening shelf menu, but this is a function of the number of shelves not the number of books.

Both readers will hold quite a few books in main memory, so I would suggest removing SD card and loading books to main memory. If it is the same there then probably both ereaders are defective. Not likely but possible.

-OR-

Buy another SD card and try it.

Loading 100 books on my T1 takes maybe 20 minutes tops, same with Aura so I think your card may be the problem. The 8G card in my T1 cost $4.99 at Walmart and I really couldn't see a performance difference between it and main memory, Same with the 32G in the Aura although it cost more.

Sorry you are having these problems, makes my head hurt imagining what you are going through.

I would try if I was you, to get to the root of the problem before buying another reader, as they are not free even these days.

Hope whatever you do it all works out.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My suggestion is putting on so many at a time and taking note of the ones put on. Then if it slows down, you can remove the ePub put on and try different ones. Maybe there's a problem with some of them.

You could run them all past epubcheck 3.0.1 to make sure they have no technical errors that could cause a problem.

My suggestion is ePub-Checker.

http://download.pagina-online.de/epu..._Win-1.2.0.zip <--- Windows version
Thanks for the link. I used it on 30 books and they all had tons of errors. I have no idea how to fix this. Do you have any suggestions?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Thanks for the link. I used it on 30 books and they all had tons of errors. I have no idea how to fix this. Do you have any suggestions?
Sigil is easiest BUT, you will need to:

1)Get familiar with what each error message means
2)Work mainly in Code View to correct these

Which leads to the biggies

3)Learn some HTML (+ CSS: That tool you used does not show the CSS errors)

4) In rarer cases, how to edit the OPF (There are cases where Sigil leaves/misses fixing errors in the OPF)

5)Learn how to edit the NCX if your document does not use H# tags for those TOC key points., which allows Sigil to generate a usable NCX

You can always use 'Tweak EPUB' (Tap T key: explode) and your favorite Text Editor (eg Notepad++ )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is that the software on your Reader expects things the way it wants them and if there are errors, they aren't the way the software wants. Weather the software can deal with the errors or not is unknown until you try. But it's quite possible these errors are causing thins to slow down.
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well since there is no way I could figure out how to fix it let alone go though all 5000 books to fix it I guess I'll stick to the slow, buggy Kobo.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well since there is no way I could figure out how to fix it let alone go though all 5000 books to fix it I guess I'll stick to the slow, buggy Kobo.
You are blaming Kobo for behaving slowly because of BAD Books?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No I'm not blaming Kobo, I'm just saying that I'll have to put up with it since at least it can have books transferred to it in less than a few hours.

Last edited by Bittybye; 06-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Have you tried deleting the books.db file on the T2 (and the one on the SD card too if you are using a card) in case there is a database corruption issue impeding the loading of books? You will not lose the books on the reader, but things such as last page read will be lost.

In case method is not known - connect to PC via USB cable, search for books.db, delete it (one on the card as well, if applicable), disconnect from PC and turn the reader off (right off, not sleep). Turn the reader on again and leave it to automatically rebuild the books.db file.

If that doesn't work, have you tried a full hard reset https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36559 ? You will lose everything on the reader when this is performed.

If none of that works have you tried reformatting the readers memory (use the method in the reader's menu)? You will lose all books, etc on the reader when doing so.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Maybe the tons of errors conform to a pattern - if you were able to post the errors from a couple of books then those that understand the inner workings of the EPUB format might be able to suggest how to correct the errors in bulk - without having to crawl through 5000xN files of HTML and CSS gobbledygook and probably making things worse.

Just a thought

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Where did these ePub come from that have tons of errors?

One suggestion to try is to do an ePub > ePub conversion on them using Calibre and see what happens. I know this is not the optimal solution, but it may be the easiest solution that might work well enough in this case.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't think she was blaming Kobo for behaving slowly because of bad books per se, just for being exceptionally buggy. Can't fault her for that.

In my experience a book does not have to be bad for a Kobo reader to display it incorrectly, Kobo readers have problems with some of the books sold by Kobo

Helen
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But given that her T2 is also seeming to misbehave, I'd attribute it to the eBooks that are riddled with errors.

There is one other thing that's not yet been tried that in this case might work. Try converting all of these fan fiction to ePub using Calibre. I know given how many of them there are, this is going to be very slow. But it might help fix some or all of the errors and make them work better on the T2 or Kobo.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-02-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
A possible solution to your books that failed the check is to convert them to mobi and then convert them back to epub. This will take a few hours, probably 8-12 for 5000 books, but can be done while you are sleeping

Mobi is a simpler format than epub, but retains most of the formatting except for embedded fonts. I had big problems with the Kobo not displaying converted .lit and .lrf books properly. Very ugly. Converting them to mobi and converting the resulting mobi to epub did the trick.

I don't see this as helping the slowness problem.

I just uploaded to my T1 SD card:
1 book 5 seconds
60 books 58 seconds
552 books 1 minute and 58 seconds
(3 minutes extra to send metadata as I already have more than 8000 books on 8G SD card)
I think you must have a very bad SD card or a poorly formatted one.

Helen
Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think you must have a very bad SD card or a poorly formatted one.

Helen
Or a faulty USB port / drivers / cable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote