Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #106
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I bought my 32 GB HD+ because of the excellent price and screen, but was a bit disappointed by how badly B&N had crippled it. I knew up front about the hardware limitations, but for an at home only, primarily for reading tab, I don’t need or even want GPS or cameras or 3G/4G connectivity. What I wanted was an excellent screen and a good price.

So last weekend I installed CM 10.1 IAW this , and wallah! Now I have a full blown 9” Android Jelly Bean tablet, and am wishing I had cameras, GPS, and 3G/4G!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #107
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Courtesy of CNET Marketplace: new low in on-line price for a new 16GB HD+: $140 shipped.

http://nls.cnet.com/pageservices/vie...ate=07/19/2013
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #108
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I bought an HD+ during the pre-Mothers' Day sale and one for my wife when B&N sent out discount cards. I rooted both with Verygreen's instructions on XDA Forums ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=nook+hd+plus )via microSD cards.
Except for an occasional spontaneous reboot into the B&N Nook unrooted screen both are running fine. Does anyone have an easier way to root with a microSD card?

Last edited by fredlave; 07-26-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #109
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
I bought an HD+ during the pre-Mothers' Day sale and one for my wife when B&N sent out discount cards. I rooted both with Verygreen's instructions on XDA Forums ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=nook+hd+plus )via microSD cards.
Except for an occasional spontaneous reboot into the B&N Nook unrooted screen both are running fine. Does anyone have an easier way to root with a microSD card?
For SD-based ROM builds that are freely distributed by their developers, AFAIK the choice boils down to Verygreen's and Bokbokan's (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2300132). I've tried them both, they are equally reliable and equally easy to install/update.

Last edited by livramax; 07-26-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #110
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only problem I had was with my wife's HD+. It would not boot from a 16GB Sandisk class 4 microSD card. I checked the XDA Forums and a few posters commented on this and recommended persistence and a use of a different Sandisk class 4 microSD card. I had an 8GB card that worked and is still in use. One problem I did have was in trying to upgrade the ROM in my HD+ to the latest one, cm-10.1-20130719-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip. I download the file to my "internal SD card" (the EMMC memory) but I got a "Bad File" error when I tried to install it. I've never had that happen before. My installed ROM ( cm-10.1-20130710-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip)was intact so I'm still using it. I'll wait a bit before trying again but getting rid of the random reboots would be nice.

Last edited by fredlave; 07-26-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #111
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
One problem I did have was in trying to upgrade the ROM in my HD+ to the latest one, cm-10.1-20130719-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip. I download the file to my "internal SD card" (the EMMC memory) but I got a "Bad File" error when I tried to install it. I've never had that happen before. My installed ROM ( cm-10.1-20130710-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip)was intact so I'm still using it. I'll wait a bit before trying again but getting rid of the random reboots would be nice.
I am currently using Verygreen's ROM which I recently updated to version dated 0719 without any problem. I'd suggest you try downloading v0719 again.

Also I have not so far encountered the random reboot issue (knocks on wood!!!) with either Verygreen's or Bokbokan's ROM as it's been reported on XDA, but it could be that I have not used my HD+ as extensive as others have done.

Last edited by livramax; 07-26-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #112
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I took advantage of Staples' $30 off and got myself a Nook HD 7 for $99. I have been reading on it, inside and out, and it is absolutely fantastic, even outside! I LOVE it for reading. I haven't even used my Kindle lately. Haven't used my Kobos since I got the Nook. Maybe I'll sell a few of them. The Nook is awesome!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #113
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
I'm going stateside next month. Those of you who picked up the HD instore at Office Max for $79 (wow), was that advertised (or was it the $129 price advertised/price tag, but rang up at that price at the register)?

Am I understanding correctly that any app from google play can be used on it now?

And would you recommend it for someone who has no intention of reading? Video, music play/playlists (specifically with Jet Audio Basic app), surfing/email use. Thanks.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #114
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
I'm going stateside next month. Those of you who picked up the HD instore at Office Max for $79 (wow), was that advertised (or was it the $129 price advertised/price tag, but rang up at that price at the register)?
The OfficeMax deal was a free $50 gift card with the purchase of one of the Nook HD models (4 total). As usual with offers such as this, company policy seems to be at the whim of the store manager and customers get all sorts of results depending on which store they go to.

Using the Nook HD 7 (8GB) as an example, some paid $129 and got a $50 GC as advertised, and some paid $79 and got no GC, while others paid $79 and still got a gift card. Go figure.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote