Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Janey-M
Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo desktop app failure

Hi Everyone I'm new to this site, so please forgive me if my question has been asked before.

Six weeks ago I purchased a new book through Kobo for my Kobo Touch, but no matter what I did, I could not get the book downloaded into my desktop app library or my e-reader. I also could not sync my e-reader.

When I contacted Kobo helpline, they told me to sign out of the desktop app, uninstall it and then re-install it.

But the desktop app that has re-installed won't let me sign in, and therefore I can't get any further with my e-reader.

Endless emails to Kobo help has just sent me round in circles, sending them screenshots of various things they've requested, but they always come back with the same instruction ..... attach the e-reader to the desktop app, sign in and sync. I can't get through to them that it won't let me sign in.....

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, any advice how to overcome it would be gratefully - very gratefully - received.

Thank you.
Janey-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
When you say the Desktop App won't let you sign in, does it give you any error message?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As moffatm asks, any error message displayed would be useful.

I can think of two things to try.

The app stores books and a database on the computer. It might not have removed or handled these properly during the uninstall/reinstall process. I would unsinstall again, completely remove these files and directories and then do another install. But, Kobo support should have suggested this. If you have a Windows Vista or 7 machine, the directory can be found with:

Code:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Kobo
If you open an explorer window and type that in the location at the top and press enter, the correct directory will open. Delete the directory and everything in it.

The other possibility is the firewall. It might be blocking access from the app to the Kobo server. The simple test is to turn the firewall of for a few minutes and try to login. If that works, then you will need to configure the firewall to allow the app to talk to the server. How to do that depends on the firewall you have.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
Janey-M
Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
When you say the Desktop App won't let you sign in, does it give you any error message?
No, it doesn't come up with anything
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Janey-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As moffatm asks, any error message displayed would be useful.

I can think of two things to try.

The app stores books and a database on the computer. It might not have removed or handled these properly during the uninstall/reinstall process. I would unsinstall again, completely remove these files and directories and then do another install. But, Kobo support should have suggested this. If you have a Windows Vista or 7 machine, the directory can be found with:

Code:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Kobo
If you open an explorer window and type that in the location at the top and press enter, the correct directory will open. Delete the directory and everything in it.

The other possibility is the firewall. It might be blocking access from the app to the Kobo server. The simple test is to turn the firewall of for a few minutes and try to login. If that works, then you will need to configure the firewall to allow the app to talk to the server. How to do that depends on the firewall you have.
Yes, Kobo told me to uninstall all the files using %localappdata% etc., but it made no difference.

The firewall idea is definitely something different. Trouble is, I'm a self-taught "Silver Surfer" so my knowledge is limited. I understand about turning the firewall off/on, but no idea how to configure it.
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Janey-M

Sorry, should have add "Thank you" for the replies.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Janey-M

Quote:

I tried this - turning off the firewall - but it made no difference.

It was said - on another thread - that the desktop app isn't essential. Does that mean I could download books onto my Kobo Touch directly?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janey-M View Post
I tried this - turning off the firewall - but it made no difference.
Drats.
Quote:
It was said - on another thread - that the desktop app isn't essential. Does that mean I could download books onto my Kobo Touch directly?
If you buy books from Kobo, they can be downloaded directly to the device by WiFi. If you get them from some other source, then they can be directly copied to the device when connected by USB or you can use calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Janey-M

Quote:
Drats.

If you buy books from Kobo, they can be downloaded directly to the device by WiFi. If you get them from some other source, then they can be directly copied to the device when connected by USB or you can use calibre.
I didn't realise that until I saw it mentioned yesterday. Pity the kobo helpline didn't suggest it!!! Now I just need to work out how to do it (yes, I'm first to admit I'm pathetic with technology}.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janey-M View Post
I didn't realise that until I saw it mentioned yesterday. Pity the kobo helpline didn't suggest it!!! Now I just need to work out how to do it (yes, I'm first to admit I'm pathetic with technology}.

Try this:
1. Tap three line icon in top right, then tap Settings in the box that appears

2. Tap "Account" in the settings list, it should tell you if you're signed in, which you likely will be

3. Tap the left facing arrow in the top of the box to return to the settings list

4. Tap "WiFi" connection from the menu.

5. Tap the "On" box to turn it on (if it's not on already)

6. Tap "Connect" (if turning on WiFi does not ask you to connect to a network

7. Pick your WiFi network and connect to it.

8. Close the Settings window if it does not close.

9. Tap the "Sync" option and it will sync your Library against the server.

I'd then suggest turning off WiFi (Tap three line icon, then tap the "ON" item to turn WiFi off) to save battery power, unless you want to stay connected all the time, I usually don't as I sync fairly rarely.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
Just to add to what Sharkus explained so well. I have found that sometimes my kobo will not sync properly after it has been in sleep mode and often requires a proper turn-off/turn-on (power recycle) before it will sync properly (even though the screen messages would have you believe that it's updating).

Also if you have not actually set up your wi-fi connection on your Kobo and your wi-fi has any security settings such as a WPA password you will need to find and enter that upon first connection.
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Janey-M

Thank you so much - I now, at last, have the books I paid for at the beginning of January onto my Kobo Touch. So frustrating when things don't work in the way you're used to them working, and you don't know what to do about it.

I will remember to turn the WiFi off when I'm not using it; also a proper turn-off/turn-on before syncing. That could be why the other day, after I downloaded a book from my (website) library, the K-Touch carried on syncing almost indefinitely!

As said before - THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.