Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
toddmp
toddmp doesn't littertoddmp doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just contacted them. I really don't expect that they can help me. No other Kindle Active Content works on the Kindle Paperwhite.

I just uninstalled it. Oh well. I'll know better the next time Active Content is offered.

PS: I was able to get a credit for the defective software. This is on their site: "You can request a refund for items purchased from the Kindle Store within seven days of purchase."
Just purchased it myself and had no problems running it on my paperwhite. Are you on the latest firmware sirmaru? jailbroken? This active content style Bible really sets the bar for all other Bibles. There is no better way to navigate in such a unique book than to build it as an app.

There are some peculiarities though. It does not seem to be able to access the systems fonts or dictionaries. The main Kindle navigation bar remains at the top of the screen. This is my first experience with active content so i am not sure how much is specific to this Bible and how much is just how Active content displays on the paperwhite OS.

Very happy with the purchase overall and look forward to updates and new content from these guys. Being able to click book, chapter, GO is infinitely easier than shorthand/code to get where you want. todd

Last edited by toddmp; 11-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
toddmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
draytonbenner
draytonbenner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, nook
KJV Bible app

toddmp,

Thanks for checking our our KJV Bible app and for your kind words about its setting the bar for Bible-reading on e-ink Kindles.

To answer some of the issues you mention:

The top bar is always present on all Active Content. The only part of it that is specific to an app is part of the menu. That is, everything up there has nothing to do with the app. In particular, the back button is not for navigation within the app; that's the one that might be the most confusing. In the menu, Amazon puts its own item(s) at the top of the menu (e.g. "Shop Kindle Store") and then the app's items (e.g. "Go to") are placed below that.

Kindle Active Content indeed has no access to the onboard dictionaries.

As for fonts, the app gives the option of serif or sans serif, like older e-ink Kindles. The Paperwhite, with its greater array of font options, had not yet been announced when we submitted this app to Amazon. (We find that it works fine on Paperwhite despite this, though there are a few tweaks we would have made for the Paperwhite [e.g. the size of the margin].) We will keep your suggestion of allowing all onboard fonts in mind as a feature request for the future.

~Drayton
draytonbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
toddmp
toddmp doesn't littertoddmp doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW
thanks for the additional info Drayton. I hope we see an update in the future that can take advantage of the paperwhite fonts and margins. Hopefully amazon allows you to remove the top bar as well in future updates. Keep up the great work. todd
toddmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Two Dictionaries - possible cause of active conent problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmp View Post
Just purchased it myself and had no problems running it on my paperwhite. Are you on the latest firmware sirmaru? jailbroken?
I have the Bible Encyclopedia installed as my Primary Dictionary which kicks in after the main dictionary (the New Oxford American Dictionary) is accessed. I use it when reading my NIV Bible from Zondervan on the PW.

Its possible that usage of two dictionaries blocks Active Content.

Even if that is the cause of the problem, I won't give it up. The Bible Encyclopedia is essential when reading the Zondervan NIV Bible.

I also have three Personal Documents installed related to Bible Study. Perhaps one of them also interferes with Active Content.

I use the latest firmware, version 5.3.0.

Frankly, my main Bible is the AcroBible on my KFHD7-32. I also have the Tecarta Bible, the Zondervan NIV Study Bible and the Logos Bibles Software also installed there. My PW is merely a supplement for Bible Study to the AcroBible there.

Its still possible that an upgrade of the KJV Bible for the PW will overcome the problems or that a future firmware upgrade from Amazon will also fix it.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I used to buy lots of Osnova DVJ Bibles for my KK. However, they don't work with the PW or the KF.
Hmm. On my Paperwhite, I use DVJ-2 (as described below). No indexing is required for DVJ-2.

DVJ-2 on Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite

1. With the Bible open, tap at the top of the screen.
2. Type in the search window the abbreviation for the desired Bible book (use only the ones from the Table of Contents), followed by a space. Then type the chapter number, followed by a space, and the verse number. For example, jn 3 16.
3. Change the search from "This Book" to "Index Items." Press Enter and tap on the search result.

• Some Kindles (e.g. Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD) include two types of Table of Contents ("TOC"). To open one of them, tap at the top of the page and then on "Go to" (it make take some time to open), you will see the TOC that you can scroll up and down, you may also collapse or open TOC levels by pressing on the small triangles to the left of some TOC entries, and move to any section in the publication by choosing it in the list. To open the other TOC, select "Go to" as above, and then select "Beginning", then "Go to" again, and finally choose "Table of Contents" (or "Old Testament TOC"/"New Testament TOC").

Let me know if this works for you.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #21
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Hi all, I use the KJV bible and have a few installed at the moment. Apart from those frequently mentioned that are available on Amazon, I also use the free one from this website. It works well on both the K3 and PW: http://believingthomas.org/uncategor...rmat-for-free/.

Edited to add: it works well except that when browsing from the table of contents. I keep choosing the wrong book! And I thought Ihave slim fingers! Perhaps a trip to Sigil is in order.

Last edited by holgalee; 12-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Using my Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb on AcroBible from the Main Screen, the first letter of every book in the Bible shows in the Left or Top. Tap the letter and LARGE icons with pictures of every Book starting with that letter shows. Tap the Book and LARGE numbers of every chapter shows. Tap a number and all the verse numbers show on the right. Tap the verse and you are there.

I can reach a verse in under two seconds without any typing.

Tap the Book/Chapter shown in the left corner and all Chapters for that Book are shown LARGE. Tap the Chapter and then the verse and you are there.

Tap the Bible abbreviation in the upper right corner and seven Bibles including the NIV are available. Tap the Menu and two Commentaries and one Dictionary are available.

One can locate any 4 word phrase from the search screen in the NT, OT or any specific Book.

Notes and highlights can be added to any verse or pasted into the AcroBible web site and synced to and from there.

One can set up the M'Cheyne Reading Plan and one can go through the entire Bible one chapter at a time at one own's speed alternating with random NT chapters and OT chapters. One gets a choice of a Daily Devotion with Spurgeon's"Morning and Evening" and "Daily Light on the Daily Path."

All of this is available in BRILLIANT COLORS - verse numbers in blue, Christ's words in Red, multiple background colors different for every function. All this can be done without WiFi or 3G or 4G available. Its all done locally on the KFHD7-32.

There is NO PW or KF Bible which can compete with that color, ease and coverage. Thus, its the only Bible App I use now. The others just Rest in Peace for me.

Finally, their Tech Support is great implementing every suggestion I've made in the past within a year of my input. I used it on the KF1G but had to wait 30 days when the KFHD7-32 was first introduced.

If I want to hear the Bible read to me, the Tecarta Bible does that in either of two selectable voices. It also can scroll at the speed of a Church reader if one wants to follow along with the spoken voice without turning pages.

Somehow all my Kindle Keyboard and Paperwhite Bibles are now obsolete and all my other Kindle Fire Bibles have also gone obsolete.

The AcroBible web site is here:

http://www.ibiblespace.org/fcgi-bin/...action=reading

The AcroBible for the Fire can be purchased here for $ 9.95:

http://www.amazon.com/AcroDesign-Tec...ords=acrobible

The Tecarta Bible can be purchased here for $ 5.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Tecarta-Inc-NI...or+kindle+fire

I'm always open to new Bibles, if any are introduced, however.

While I only owned the Kindle Keyboard, I only used the Osnova Bibles.

Before eReaders were introduced, I only used the Logos Bibles. By the way, today those Logos Bible Resources for the PC range from $ 295 to $ 4,980 at this site:

http://www.logos.com/basepackages

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-31-2012 at 01:51 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote