Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
djeaton
djeaton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Question Author sort question

I have about 200 books in my library where the author and author sort are both in the Lname, Fname format. What is the easiest way to convert author to Fname Lname format? I *imagine* I could do the same thing stripping out publication dates or series names/numbers from titles. If possible, I'd love to be able to do this without writing out the data and re-importing, but would ultimately like to learn how to do this both with metadata manipulation when saving to disk AND some "internal" process. I just can't wrap my head around the coding for parsing out pieces of text and re-ordering them.
djeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeaton View Post
I have about 200 books in my library where the author and author sort are both in the Lname, Fname format. What is the easiest way to convert author to Fname Lname format? I *imagine* I could do the same thing stripping out publication dates or series names/numbers from titles. If possible, I'd love to be able to do this without writing out the data and re-importing, but would ultimately like to learn how to do this both with metadata manipulation when saving to disk AND some "internal" process. I just can't wrap my head around the coding for parsing out pieces of text and re-ordering them.
Install and Use the Quality Check Plugin
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
djeaton

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Install and Use the Quality Check Plugin
I'll have to check that out. Thanks! That is probably the easiest thing. I'd still like to understand the coding syntax though. I think I'm going to need to know this to clean up some of the series that I have that have a ton of extra stuff added to the title.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll have to check that out. Thanks! That is probably the easiest thing. I'd still like to understand the coding syntax though. I think I'm going to need to know this to clean up some of the series that I have that have a ton of extra stuff added to the title.
The QC PI will help identify those.
Bulk Metadata edit has a powerful Search and Replace (can be with nothing ) .Look for the Tab at the top of the Edit form dialog box
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
djeaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The QC PI will help identify those.
Bulk Metadata edit has a powerful Search and Replace (can be with nothing ) .Look for the Tab at the top of the Edit form dialog box
That tells me WHERE to put in the code, but I don't know what code to put in.

BTW, LOVE your cat. We have a new rescue kitty that looks just like that!
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

BTW, LOVE your cat. We have a new rescue kitty that looks just like that!
Ellie (the cali-meese) and her brother is from one of the local Adopt a cat shelters, Carmella (AKA Bounce) was adopted from the Animal Services shelter. Noni (and Fanci RIP) was Adopted from our old Vet. Meaghan our Corgi is also a Rescue animal.

Back on topic
There is No magic entry.
This is very powerful and as you will note in The red NOTE: can do great harm, very quickly

Each needs to be hand crafted. If you have done it right, you will see your desired results in the test area.

Learn REGEX., it can pick apart just about anything.
There was a REGEX thread over a Year ago by Manichean that should help get you going
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
djeaton

I read the regex stuff in the calibre manual, but it didn't do much for me. I don't know what the different parts of the expression mean or do. So I can copy examples from here or there to do things like add series and sort order to title when I send books to my reader, but knowing that X expression does something doesn't help me understand all the parts of the expression in case I want to change it much more than to have my series order a 2-digit number versus a 3-digit one. I'll see what I can find though.

And just for grins, here's "Rambo". He's about 10 weeks old or so.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

There is different forms of REGEX used in different places.
The Add books template is (almost) nothing like the REGEX used in the Metadata S&R Which is nothing like the Save/Send to template
BTW Calibre stores series_index as Real numbers internally, not as a string.

This is the one I suggested https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=REGEX
It is useful in S&R (and the Sigil EPUB editor)

Neat cat (A meese, the best kind )
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
For swapping LN, FN or FN LN in Authors, see Regex "FN LN" to "LN, FN" & reverse, posts #4 and #5.

Using Quality Check plugin as theducks said is easier and faster.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-19-2012 at 11:06 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote