Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
rainsux
rainsux began at the beginning.

Device: BB Curve
Iliad vs eFlybook

I like the concept of the eFlybook, but the annual subscription is
kind'a pricey for the pleasure flying that I do ... especially when
the PDFs are free to download from the FAA/NACO website.

I am wondering if the FAA/NACO PDFs are truly usable using the
Iliad's *standard* PDFviewer? Here is a link to a small bundle:

http://rainsux.dyndns.org/approach/MD.pdf

- Are all the small fonts truly readable?
- Does the PDFviewer display the bookmarks?

-doug
rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
abluesheep
abluesheep began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi Rainsux,

Greetings from the other side of the world, where hazesux is more the problem!

Unfortunately, I am a VFR PPL only, so am not too familiar with the conditions you would expect when using the approach plates you included in your PDF. In a static test at about yoke distance for a C182, I would say that the text is just about readable - however, in turbulent conditions, I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Why don't you try printing out a scale replica? The contrast of the device is really pretty good, so would be comparable to trying to read off a laser printout. For your reference, the box on the first approach plate ends up being 2.5" wide, and about 5" 1/16 long.

Happy flying!
abluesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I loaded your file. At first the margins took up a fair amount of screen real estate and made readability not all that great. I cropped the file in Acrobat by just removing blank margins. This made it slightly better - but not that good.

You can zoom in and the detail is there with no smearing of the text. The thing is then you can't see some of the details of the plate.

I would not say that it would be all that usable. It's going to be pretty hard to beat the paper plate. It's just carrying them all around that's a hassle and that's where the idea of the iLiad/eFlybook is appealing, unfortunately the implementation is just not up to the task just yet. I have an iLiad so I don't know how good the presentation or display is on the eFlybook. Go to their website and peruse their forums. The last time I looked there were not a lot of happy campers.

The bookmarks are not supported. This is one of my biggest complaints as it makes navigation of large PDF files cumbersome at best.

IMHO the iLiad/eFlybook would/could be a major distraction in the cockpit if you are flying any approaches at 120 knots or greater. Stick with the KISS school in this situation.

If you are willing you could always check out EFB solutions. The prices seem to be coming down on systems that are much more capable than the iLiad/eFlybook.

Take Care, Good Luck & Fly Safe!

Last edited by firekat; 11-29-2007 at 07:21 AM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
rainsux
rainsux began at the beginning.

Device: BB Curve
Iliad vs eFlybook

Thank you for the replies ... I'll pass on the Iliad.

For any other pilots here; I republish the FAA NACO plates & the A/FD
in easy-to-download bundles. (FAA NACO requires that you download
each page individually.)

http://www.NACOmatic.com

-doug
rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

rainsux,

Thanks for the linky. I have a friend that would probably like your download site a lot. He is constantly whining to me how much he has to spend on plates. He has a Mooney that he commutes with and uses for occasional trips. He is a gadget hound and has more stuff loaded in that aircraft than he would ever need.

Here's where I use my iLiad. This was posted in the picture thread a while ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...0&d=1155705964

Have fun with that C-205.

Fly Safe!

Last edited by firekat; 11-30-2007 at 12:06 PM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
triq200
triq200 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad IRex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsux View Post
I like the concept of the eFlybook, but the annual subscription is
kind'a pricey for the pleasure flying that I do ... especially when
the PDFs are free to download from the FAA/NACO website.

I am wondering if the FAA/NACO PDFs are truly usable using the
Iliad's *standard* PDFviewer? Here is a link to a small bundle:

http://rainsux.dyndns.org/approach/MD.pdf

- Are all the small fonts truly readable?
- Does the PDFviewer display the bookmarks?

-doug
I have an Iliad and was disappointed with the EFlyBook software. I experimented with the native PDF viewer and found it works great. The Iliad content lister and PDF viewer are completely reliable in my experience. I spent some time massaging the NACO pdfs so they look good on the Iliad and now publish them as a package. Check out http://www.flypaperless.com You can see screenshots at http://www.flypaperless.com/screenshots.htm

If you have an Iliad and want to give them a try we offer a single chart cycle option so you can see if you like them.

Oh, and are the small fonts truly readable? Yes, you can read every piece of text on the charts.

David Chalmers
David@FlyPaperless.com
triq200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
All very well, but the iliad is a pain in the arse to fly with. I've had it turn on in my flight case and drain it's battery twice and it's about to go back for repair for the second time this time due to a problem with the power connector.

If you're going to fly IFR with it I'd still recommend taking some form of hard copy with you.

Happy landings
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
triq200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
All very well, but the iliad is a pain in the arse to fly with. I've had it turn on in my flight case and drain it's battery twice and it's about to go back for repair for the second time this time due to a problem with the power connector.

If you're going to fly IFR with it I'd still recommend taking some form of hard copy with you.

Happy landings
Wow, I've never heard anyone complain about accidentally turning it on before. With the recessed sliding power switch most people say it's too difficult to turn on. You do have to be careful with the power connector. I slide mine into it's storage bag when not in use and have never had that problem.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Boris
Enthusiast

A rare event certainly, only started after it went away for repair. Nothing worse than opening up the cover to see the screen has turned black and the thing won't startup. Just have to see if it comes back with this annoying habit
Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Check out this thread.

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
Boris
Enthusiast

Cheers for the link Dirk, the Iliad isn't trying to connect to IDS. It only does it when I'm flying, so it's either pressure changes, 'firm' landings or something completely different. I think I may just have a dodgy iliad and it may not be a normal issue. The only point I was trying to make was, do you want to be above or in the clouds with no instrument plates to hand?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #12
triq200

I don't think you need hard copy necessarily but you do need a backup. I carry a laptop with a copy of all the charts on it.