Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
OH my, I will contact Kobo help line and see if anyone is at home there. I hate the idea of taking back off. Many thanks for help to date - Happy New Year
No big deal taking the back off, unless you also never open the hood of your car. You can pull it off with your fingernails. The reset button is used just like the one on the front of your computer. Others have also suggested unplugging the battery for a while, then plugging it back in.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Hold for 20, 30 seconds or as long as it takes until it turns off. Failing that, unplug it and leave it and it will probably drain the battery in a matter of hours. Then plug it in and turn it on. And make the wifi sleep policy NEVER.
OK, here I am a day later. As you said the Vox would lose its battery power over night and it did. The orange light is on so I have plugged it into the charger. When the green light comes on I will then again do the long hold on the on/off switch and I assume the three lights below the screen should go out when the Vox is turned off. So far nothing has had this happen, these lights are on all the time. If I cannot turn off the Vox I will do the factory reset in accordance with the instructions on the Kobo site, which includes holding the + side of the volume control. This will wipe out all my installed apps, files I put in, etc. Then I go back on the WiFi and reload the software updates etc. I go to Kobo bookstore and recover my lost books, re-install my lost apps, and turn off the sleep function in setup so I never go down this road again. Do I have this about right?
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Finally back and running

I decided to return the Vox to Chapters where it was bought and to my surprise they had a manager trained in dealing with Vox issues. She was very good and took back off and reset so this did not interfere with anything I had installed so I was back and running. It was suggested that I turn off the sleep mode, but for the life of me I see no such place on the Vox setup to do so. Does anyone know how this is supposed to be accomplished as I would love to turn it off so this problem never surfaces again. Otherwise I am extremely happy with this device. Many thanks to all who offered help it was most appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You need to set the wifi sleep policy to "never" and then always leave wifi on:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...cy#post1892184
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
Senior
Zealot

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Hold for 20, 30 seconds or as long as it takes until it turns off. Failing that, unplug it and leave it and it will probably drain the battery in a matter of hours. Then plug it in and turn it on. And make the wifi sleep policy NEVER.
Somehow I sent a reply but it disappeared into another thread I do believe. So I shall repeat as much as I can recall, here. I took my Vox back to the store where I purchased it (or rather my wife did) Chapters, and surprise, they had a manager there trained to deal with Vox fixes. She took off the back and did the thing there and all was well. The only things I lost were my WiFi password, and my date and time. All else was there and A-OK. Many thanks to all of you who helped me through this, I have learned a lot and especially what a great resource this Forum is.
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

You mean the post above my reply to your post?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Glad you got it working.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
Kappafun
Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600, Kobo Vox
I had the same problem, but the last update seems to have solved the problem.
Kappafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Senior
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
You mean the post above my reply to your post?
You must excuse me for being stupid but it is a part of my charm (according to my wife). One last question: when you say turning off the sleep from WiFi, does that automatically mean leaving WiFi on at all times, thus goes the battery quickly??
Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
You must excuse me for being stupid but it is a part of my charm (according to my wife). One last question: when you say turning off the sleep from WiFi, does that automatically mean leaving WiFi on at all times, thus goes the battery quickly??
Indeed it does until kobo gets around to fixing the problem. If you will not be using the vox for a while and it is not on ac power, it is generally worth powering down the unit.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Senior
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Indeed it does until kobo gets around to fixing the problem. If you will not be using the vox for a while and it is not on ac power, it is generally worth powering down the unit.
OK, sound good, so I am best off reading with AC/power leaving WiFi on until I put it to bed at night. That begs me to ask if it is permissible to use an short extension cord to plug the charger in to compensate for the short cable from Kobo?? One annoyance I have been experiencing with my WiFi hookup is although I have a "connected" showing the small WiFi symbol does not always light up & in fact I do not have the said connection. This just started happening so it must be something I screwed up in the setup, but I cannot figure it out, oh well, there always has to be something ...
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
That begs me to ask if it is permissible to use an short extension cord to plug the charger in to compensate for the short cable from Kobo??
Absolutely.