Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #61
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Amazon announed ESPN Sportcenter and Hulu Plus Apps for the Fire today. So it's apparant Amazon does'nt mind apps that compete with their content, and thats a good thing.
From the announcement, "Hulu Plus and ESPN ScoreCenter are Amazon-tested on Kindle Fire so they deliver the best possible experience." I'm looking forward to it.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #62
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The news just keeps getting better and better! My hubby so needs to get his rear in gear and put the money on my Card so I can order my Fire. *pouts*
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #63
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Still waiting for DropBox. There's always the web interface for that, but. Also hope Mantano gets a newer version in the Appstore before too long. They've made a lot of improvements since July...

Reading through the thread, some of the posts suggest that there's a way to tell if any given app in Appstore is Fire-compatible. How is that done? I've pre ordered Fire but it does not yet show up as one of my Android devices on amazon.com, though it is listed as one of my Manage Your Kindle devices.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #64
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Pretty sure you can sideload the dropbox app from Google market
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Still waiting for DropBox. There's always the web interface for that, but. Also hope Mantano gets a newer version in the Appstore before too long. They've made a lot of improvements since July...
They updated already. Latest version is 1.6.3 at the app store. You will have to wait a little bit for 1.6.4 to show up there. It just fixes being able to use Calibre library with Mantano. So I can wait on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Pretty sure you can sideload the dropbox app from Google market
You can download the Dropbox app from their site directly. No Market needed.
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #66
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon Announced today 400 New all color Magazines for the Fire
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #67
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'm very curious to know how easy it will be to read magazine text on the Fire. Do they format it in a special way for the 7" screen? The covers do look gorgeous!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #68
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I'm very curious to know how easy it will be to read magazine text on the Fire. Do they format it in a special way for the 7" screen? The covers do look gorgeous!
I imagine that they will be formatted for the 7" screen. I'm eager to try a couple of the Condé Nast magazines, especially The New Yorker.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #69
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I imagine that they will be formatted for the 7" screen. I'm eager to try a couple of the Condé Nast magazines, especially The New Yorker.
Interesting...the magazines are actually apps specifically for the Fire. I see that if you're a print subscriber you can still access digital copies. Nice for those who already committed to print. The 3-month trial is quite generous.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
From the Suntimes

The Fire can only find and download apps from the Amazon Android App Store; the Google Marketplace is completely disconnected. You can tick a checkbox in its Settings to allow the Fire to run apps downloaded from any arbitrary source (such as, downloading from a website or an independent repository) . . . but few users will find that necessary. Amazon is vetting the thousands of apps already in the store and certifying them for Fire. All they seem to be doing is making sure that the app won’t crash the Fire (by expecting it to have a camera or an old-timey row of fixed Android hard buttons, for example) and doesn’t have one of those phone-oriented user interfaces that looks intensely weird when scaled up to a 7-inch screen.

There seems to be nothing sinister or strategic about their app approvals. Thanks to Mantano Reader ($7.49 and well worth it), I now have what I’ve always wanted: a Kindle that can open and read ePUB books. Mantano even supports Adobe DRM . . . so at least in theory, the Kindle Fire can even import the books you might have bought from a competing digital shop, such as the Google eBookstore. The Fire would be much less than it is if Amazon decided to shut out any app that competed with the company’s own products.
Sideloading! Mantano! I am one happy camper!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #71
TimW
Wizard

Quickoffice Pro is free (again) if anyone missed it last time.

Edit: Sorry, OfficeSuite Pro 5 was the free one I remembered. Similar name. This is a new one.

Last edited by TimW; 11-14-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #72
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I will be deleting Quickoffice when I get my Fire. It just looks too ugly. I know function over form, but eugh.

But as a note... If you're not a technical person, be careful!!!! Sideloading can brick your Kindle Fire! Only download from verified sources (maybe even just the developer's websites) and check the permissions.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #73
taoofpu2
Enthusiast
taoofpu2 is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad mini 4, iPad 3
Amazon has pre-ordered some apps for my Kindle Fire. Found them when checking on apps and my devices. They have also assigned a serial number for the Fire.
taoofpu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #74
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That's great. I'll finally have a device with Hulu Plus. It's ridiculous the app is for a few select devices in the Android Market.
Likely because they're making sure the hardware can handle it. There's probably some form of DRM, too. I downloaded the Netflix app for Android on my LG Thrive when it became available and it was unusable. It was like watching a slideshow and after a few seconds, the audio and video goes out of sync.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #75
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Likely because they're making sure the hardware can handle it. There's probably some form of DRM, too. I downloaded the Netflix app for Android on my LG Thrive when it became available and it was unusable. It was like watching a slideshow and after a few seconds, the audio and video goes out of sync.
That seems logical for phones. But doesn't apply to Honeycomb tablet owners. The devices are more than capable. So, I don't know what the real excuse is. If you look at the list of supported devices, there are no Honeycomb tablets. Surely they know folks want to watch video on a tablet when given the preference.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote