Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Thumbs down Outrageous Pricing

I have long been a lurker eagerly anticipating the gen3 but one look at the ordering page has totally turned me off. I live in Australia and the website forces me to buy in euros. 295 euros is $463 australian dollars while $350US is only $381 australian dollars. That means I am being charged an extra $75US or 52 euros NOT including shipping.

I won't be buying direct from bookeen while that policy is in place.

I also don't understand their pricing policy which states:

We decided to keep a constant price for all the countries without calculating the price from money currencies. On top of that some countries will pay a 19,6% VAT like all European countries, others won't. At last, we also considered the shipment price in mind, to keep an average cost more or less the same.

How is paying an additional $US75 keeping the price constant????
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
I have long been a lurker eagerly anticipating the gen3
How is paying an additional $US75 keeping the price constant????
Because it is the law in Europe to quote prices including VAT. That is not the case in the US. If something is exported outside the EU you can get a VAT refund. That is why it is cheaper in the US.

I live in the EU and I did the math. If I buy the Sony in the VS, the price, including transport, customs tax, and VAT (Over the sum of those numbers) will be something like 20-30$ lower. Buth then I will have no warranty at all.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's worth it to you, then buy it; if it's not, don't. Nobody's going to force you.

I've just placed my order for the "Deluxe" pack.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Adam
Enthusiast
Adam began at the beginning.

Write them

You might want to try e-mailing them. You are not in the EU so you might get away with sending a money order that is in US dollars. Couldn't hurt right? Though It would take longer to clear the bank check. I doubt the fees would be anywhere near the $75 for paying EU price.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Because it is the law in Europe to quote prices including VAT.
Australia's in Europe? Who knew?
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Australia's in Europe? Who knew?
No, of course it's not.

But France is, and Bookeen is in France. Therefore (by EU law, apparently), they have to quote their prices including the VAT, even to those who are in non-EU countries, and will therefore be able to get the VAT refunded.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
how do I get the VAT refunded? (I'm from outside the EU)
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does the $350 (US dollars) price include VAT?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a delivery address outside the EU, VAT will not be charged on your order.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So the prices then are not with VAT and VAT just gets added on based on where you live. That sounds reasonable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the prices then are not with VAT and VAT just gets added on based on where you live. That sounds reasonable.
The web site is "smart". If it detects that you're in the EU, the displayed price includes VAT (eg it quotes £245 for me, which a price that includes the 19.6% French VAT). If it detects that you're outside the EU, you get quoted a price exclusive of VAT.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I am in Sweden but I got the price in Euro. We are probably in the same situation as UK with regard to Euro (we do not have it unfortunately).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
mrsp
Connoisseur

I emailed them at 7.46pm on Sunday night local time and its now Tuesday 10.46am local time and as yet there is no reply.

The web might be smart or it might not be but Australia is NOT in the EU so if the 295 euro price quoted to me does happen to be exclusive of VAT then I still need an explanation as to why the price for Australia is US$75 or 52 euros MORE than the price for US customers not including shipping.

The logical supposition is that their website is not smart at all and is quoting me a price in euros that includes VAT despite the fact that Australian customers don't have to pay VAT which would explain the discrepancy.

I am not prepared to be gouged on price because I want the product - that would be silly. Uness there is an explanation that makes the pricing policy fair, such as the VAT thing, then there is a massive arbitrage opportunityfor someone in the states to buy these things from bookeen and then sell them on ebay to people like me and I will just wait to get a fair price.

Of course a prompt response to my email enquiry would help a lot...
Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The logical things is that 295 is without the 19% or so VAT added. And that you get the price in Euro is probably because only US will get the US price.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
mrsp
Connoisseur

and that's my point - if its 295 euro without VAT added then I am paying US$75 MORE than US customers which is not a fair pricing policy.