Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
silviolorusso
Enthusiast
silviolorusso began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is this e-pub correct?

Hello.

I'm uploading my first ePub.

I tried to validate it nad everything is fine, but when I try it on different readers some problems come up.

For example the font sometime is not supported or the background image is not loaded.

I tried to make an experiment on the cover as well (using a modular structure) what do you think about that?

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: epub inc_publications_overview.epub (1.27 MB, 255 views)
silviolorusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try the epub in ADE. If it looks okay in that, it should probably look okay in all ADE based readers. Font support is kind of hit-and-miss. Some readers support it, some don't. The same applies for background images.
Then again, background images? On most e-ink readers that will leave the text (almost) unreadable. On color screens it would probably be better...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
silviolorusso
Enthusiast

Dear Toxaris,

I tried on ADE. And it looks fine.

I used background images only in the cover and as an experiment. I was struggling to find a way to use the limitations of the epub in a dynamical way.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

It's a great EPUB.

If I may, I am surprised that your images are not reflowable, since it's quite easy to do and "dynamical" too. Is there a reason? I'll join an example, though it's not perfect.

There are various ways to do it. You can open the EPUB with Sigil to see how it is implemented.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test images W2X.epub (1.55 MB, 227 views)

Last edited by roger64; 06-07-2011 at 06:28 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
silviolorusso
Enthusiast

Hi Roger,

thank you.

I made the pictures not reflowable because iBooks for iPad doesn't consider the css function: width: 25% ,for example. It shows the pictures at the original dimension only.

Any suggestion to solve that?

Thank you
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's an iBooks question

That means all your other users (including iPad owners) will have to live with that.

There is an editor who produces EPUB in two versions, one with embedded font and the other without, because of this kind of limitation. Maybe you could do the same?

http://efele.net/ebooks/

If you use W2X, it's just an option to tick when exporting to EPUB (image with relative size or no)

Last edited by roger64; 06-07-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
silviolorusso
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you use W2X, it's just an option to tick when exporting (image with relative size or no)
What's W2K?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
roger64
Wizard

W2X, short for writer2xhtml, is an extension of OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice. Free and multiplatform.

More info -in French I'm sorry- with my signature.

Joint is a photo (click twice) of the option to be selected in the export panel of writer2xhtml (other options are available.. )

Your source file has to be in odt format. You directly export to EPUB without any code tweaking. You can check you EPUB though with Sigil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	336
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	72442  

Last edited by roger64; 06-07-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
roger64
Wizard

mistake

Last edited by roger64; 06-07-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
silviolorusso
Enthusiast

thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
W2X, short for writer2xhtml, is an extension of OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice. Free and multiplatform.

More info -in French I'm sorry- with my signature.

Joint is a photo (click twice) of the option to be selected in the export panel of writer2xhtml (other options are available.. )

Your source file has to be in odt format. You directly export to EPUB without any code tweaking. You can check you EPUB though with Sigil.
This looks very attractive. Where does one get W2X from?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The writer2xhtml link is in the second post of the thread in his sig:

http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/index.html

It's good that roger64 only uses simple French The sourceforge page is in English, fortunately...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
roger64
Wizard

Hi

Sorry for this careless info about W2X. Thanks for correcting me Pholy!!

The complete name for the extension is writer2xhtml.oxt. You'll find it in a folder containing other very interesting items but that you do not need to install if you just intend to produce EPUBs. Just unzip this folder and look for it.

Current version is 1.1.7. The 1.1.8 will probably be published end of July.

The main idea is to use LibreOffice with styles (and style too !!) and then you just export to EPUB. I'll be happy to give you any info about it.

Last edited by roger64; 06-09-2011 at 03:48 AM.