Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
The known universe: A beautiful video

Here's a beautiful video about the known (to us) universe.

Click through and watch it full screen, preferably with headphones on!

I just thought I'd share this gold nugget
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
Here's a beautiful video about the known (to us) universe.

Click through and watch it full screen, preferably with headphones on!

I just thought I'd share this gold nugget
That was incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
You're welcome!

I found it (literally) awe-inspiring. Very well made, and the size and distances of things becomes (somewhat) fathomable. I wish they'd make an even higher resolution version of it. It really is beautiful, imo.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
I found it (literally) awe-inspiring.
+1.
Superb video. A bit of actual vertigo at the end o.O (don't they enforce re-entry speed limits anymore? ). Stuff like this always reminds me of Sagan's Pale blue dot video.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
+1.
Superb video. A bit of actual vertigo at the end o.O (don't they enforce re-entry speed limits anymore? ). Stuff like this always reminds me of Sagan's Pale blue dot video.
What a marvellous way with words that Carl Sagan had.

Since watching 'Contact' the movie, I have often wondered whether we would ever find another species to make 'contact' with?

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Ooh, here's a nice interactive night sky. Might not sound like much (gotta see it) but if you use your arrow keys to move and "a" and "z" to zoom in and out - well, I don't know how to end that sentence - let's just say it's really beautiful .

The guy who made the panorama (Nick Risinger) traveled the equivalent of 2.5 times around the equator to get all the imagery for it. I don't believe I've ever seen the Milky Way in all its grandeur the way it's presented here . More information about how it was made.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
it's all about the size :gulp:

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
That was fascinating! Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've seen the video before but I agree the sheer scale of the universe does get you every time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
it's all about the size :gulp:

Interesting scale comparison. Hypergigantic!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote