Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #151
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinon and have their own needs and wants. I just not seeing it. to be honest

but oh well that's why you can have to option to root it. I stayed with the stock UI, I do really love it. but As you know I'm going after a full feldge 10 inch Honeycomb goodness. So far the Asus Eee pad I think has nudged ahead of the Xoom

so I'll a nook classic for outdoor reading, the nook color for Primary reading and hopefully soon a Honeycomb tablet for all the rest of the fun stuff.
What's that old sayin' "Different strokes for different folks".

Yes rooting/ROMing was what put the nook on top of my Kindle. Being able to install excellent eReaders and PDF readers made the nook Color go from being the worst reader on the market to the best eReader for me.... Well maybe second only to the Galaxy Tab, but for for $250 I'll take the nook.

Good luck on your tablet, the choices are are real tough there is a lot of good tablets coming out this summer. Looking forward to hearing some of your reviews.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #152
WzeroMN
WzeroMN began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Well, I don't have mine rooted yet, so we'll see!
The new software requuired re register since it rebooted the Nook. The server was down for many hours. I also had to download all my 118 books again. Do they ever test this stuff?
WzeroMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #153
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Rest book option... I really think that when I get all the way to the end of a book; the next time I or someone on my device opens the book it restarts at the beginning without doing anything.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #154
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
The new software requuired re register since it rebooted the Nook. The server was down for many hours. I also had to download all my 118 books again. Do they ever test this stuff?
My NC updated saving all data, books and settings.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #155
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
My NC updated saving all data, books and settings.
Mine, too - I updated a couple of days ago. I've kept wifi off, just in case - and it is still off. However, having read a lot yesterday - when it would have told me my battery was low, it just cut off (at about 22%). It wouldn't restart until it had been plugged in for 15 minutes.

Then it restarted - with the date of Jan 1, 2011. It will not reset to correct date or time. I know if I connect to wifi it will correct the time, but at what cost?

I'm currently learning everything I can about rooting. I'm not going through their buggy updates again!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #156
eric50
eric50 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I updated to 1.2 by downloading the update and putting it on my Nook Color. I had no major issues with the update and purchased Angry Birds, ezPDF Reader and Drawing Pad. ezPDF Reader seems to render my pdf files much better then the stock reader such as pdf''s from Benjamin Crowell at http://www.lightandmatter.com. It was well worth the $0.99 My granddaughter loves the Drawing Pad but it has a tendency to lock up the Nook and I have to reboot it. I also have spent to much time with Angry Birds and am now stuck on level 15.

I did notice that sometimes when I push the power button to shut down, the power down menu shows up to power off or cancel and when I push power down, the nook just reverts back to normal operation instead of shutting off. I have to hold the power button until the unit shuts off instead of using the menu.

I am still happy with my Nook Color and though I have not rooted it yet, I did try putting CM7 on an SD card using the procedure at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957. This allowes me to boot in Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) without modifying the NC firmware in any way. I put in the SD card and power up the NC and there is Android. If I take the card out and boot up, I have the stock NC operating system. It is a little slower running off the card but it does work and if I find that I want to use an app that Barnes and Noble does not offer, I can boot into CM7 and get it from the Android Marketplace.

Eric
eric50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #157
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
@Anamardoll - did you see where they released an Android version of the Goodreads app?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #158
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
@Anamardoll - did you see where they released an Android version of the Goodreads app?
I did, thank you!! Looks like they released it about a day after the Nook Color update.... which makes me think they were holding it back until the update came out.... but I'm just happy it's finally here. Thanks!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #159
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Staying Put

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was hesitant to leave the fold because of the magazine viewer. Now that Zinio for Android is finally coming to fruition, I can say farewell. Guess I'll sell mine for $175 on craigslist. Should be gone within a couple of weeks.
I decided to keep the NOOKcolor. Concerned about apps crashing on Honeycomb tablets (particularly my favorite reading apps) plus lack of tablet apps at this time. Guess I'll stick to my original plan of waiting until November/December holiday season to see what's available.

Also considered getting a 7" Android tablet in the mean time, but the only thing around is the Galaxy Tab WiFi ($349). I played with it a few times, just doesn't appeal to me visually. Spoiled by the attractiveness of the NC.

Last edited by SCION; 05-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #160
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I decided to keep the NOOKcolor. Concerned about apps crashing on Honeycomb tablets (particularly my favorite reading apps) plus lack of tablet apps at this time. Guess I'll stick to my original plan of waiting until November/December holiday season to see what's available.

Also considered getting a 7" Android tablet in the mean time, but the only thing around is the Galaxy Tab. I played with it a few times, just doesn't appeal to me visually. Spoiled by the attractiveness of the NC.
It's good to still have you as a Nook owner! I can understand looking at tablets. I am surrounded at work by my colleagues who have purchased them, but, after a few months, none of them are using them nearly as much as they did when they first purchased them. They are always in the market for a newer tablet. I think that can get awfully expensive if you don't get one that you really like at first.

Take your time! Enjoy our company!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #161
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I don't seem to be able to find a Zinio app in the marketplace. Google showed me a PC Magazine article from last year where it says one was released. Am I missing something?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #162
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I don't seem to be able to find a Zinio app in the marketplace. Google showed me a PC Magazine article from last year where it says one was released. Am I missing something?
All I can find is a "Coming Soon" announcement:

http://www.zinio.com/splash.jsp?code=android
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote