Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #91
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Can someone who's getting the U007 error, try to install again, get the error, then when it starts up again, dump the logs and send me a copy?

To dump logs, type in ";dumpMessages" on the home screen in the search box. You need to press and letter, then backspace, then sym to get the semicolon. The logs will be in the documents folder when you plug the kindle into the computer.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #92
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
K, I was getting the error before and just not paying attention. Log file for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.zip (245.0 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by Tarr; 02-22-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: log file too big submitting zip
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #93
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the log. I found what the error was.

Basically, I used amazon-signed update to jailbreak, but after jailbreaking, it's hack updates. In other words, I was wrong. You do need to uninstall 0.1 jailbreak first before installing 0.3.

Again, I was wrong. You need to uninstall Or disable jailbreak 0.1 before installing 0.3. 0.3 uninstaller can uninstall 0.1.

Last edited by yifanlu; 02-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #94
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
No biggie. Thanks for all the hard work. On a side note though if it reads as an Amazon update could people just change the file to allow Amazon Updates?

Answered my own question. Changed it to AMAZON UPDATES and still got the error. Just one more reboot so no big deal.

Last edited by Tarr; 02-22-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #95
nubreader
Enthusiast
nubreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
just posting another successful update/jailbroken/SShack as well

was on 3.0.3 with SShack
uninstalled SShack
uninstalled jailbreak
updated 3.1
installed yifanlu's jailbreak
installed SShack

all is up and running well again.

thanks for the effort mate!
nubreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #96
dustrise
dustrise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Great job, thank you!
dustrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #97
chal61
chal61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Thanks for the log. I found what the error was.

Again, I was wrong. You need to uninstall Or disable jailbreak 0.1 before installing 0.3. 0.3 uninstaller can uninstall 0.1.
Hi yifanlu, just got up and see you worked overnight (here).

Any chance to get back te 0.1 jailbreak somewhere?
I need to uninstall it before installing th 0.3!

I overwrote with 0.3 (shame on me!) and cannot get it back.

Last edited by chal61; 02-23-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: emphasize help required
chal61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #98
aliar
aliar began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 1
Thanks. Great job!
aliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #99
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
I think Josieb1's question--how to thoroughly unhack a kindle so Amazon engineers can't detect it was ever hacked (which could void its warranty)--hasn't been properly answered.

I'm assuming the kindle's flash memory retains the contents of deleted files and folders until that section of the memory is overwritten with other data. If so, another needed step after "deleting" non-Amazon files & folders is to overwrite the newly available memory with data that will appear innocuous to Amazon's engineers. For example, ebooks that are in the public domain.

I'll also assume the kindle uses a wear-leveling technique to preserve the writability of the flash memory. If so, a way to ensure the freed memory is overwritten is to (temporarily) fill the kindle with ebooks, so that no free space remains.

I don't know much about kindles, so if I'm wrong I hope someone will contradict me.
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #100
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willia4 View Post
Since I didn't want it to auto-update to 3.1, I recently also installed the dsmid update-provider hack and set it to "hack" mode.
Tonight, my Kindle auto-updated anyway.
Did you reboot the Kindle after installing the hack ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #101
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
Thanks for this!!

Just installed it no probs!

Could you please do one thing though?

Could you post a detailed explanation of what ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES actually does?

Does it mean that "Hacked" updates will automatically download onto my device?

And if I delete this file, Amazon could automatically update my Kindle?

Or does it just stop Amazon from updating my device?

Thanks

Stew
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #102
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I think Josieb1's question--how to thoroughly unhack a kindle so Amazon engineers can't detect it was ever hacked (which could void its warranty)--hasn't been properly answered.

I'm assuming the kindle's flash memory retains the contents of deleted files and folders until that section of the memory is overwritten with other data. If so, another needed step after "deleting" non-Amazon files & folders is to overwrite the newly available memory with data that will appear innocuous to Amazon's engineers. For example, ebooks that are in the public domain.

I'll also assume the kindle uses a wear-leveling technique to preserve the writability of the flash memory. If so, a way to ensure the freed memory is overwritten is to (temporarily) fill the kindle with ebooks, so that no free space remains.

I don't know much about kindles, so if I'm wrong I hope someone will contradict me.
Thanks for pointing this out for me Kindle3w_Pdfs, I will load a few audiobooks and some music on it, those files take up a lot of room, fill it to as much capacity as I can and then delete them, better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-23-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #103
willia4
willia4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Did you reboot the Kindle after installing the hack ?
I'd have sworn that I did. But since it didn't work, I must not have. Oops. I guess it's hard to idiot-proof hacks: and I tend to be a rather successful idiots at bypassing such idiot-proofing anyway.

Incidentally, that also explains the errors I was getting:
Amazon's auto-update rebooted the Kindle. So suddenly, updates-provider was in effect. And, of course, I had it set to hack mode.

But this new jailbreak looks like it's been signed by Amazon! So updates-provider wasn't allowing it to install. Changing updates-provider back to amazon mode [and rebooting] allowed the jailbreak to uninstall.

So it failed entirely because of the stupid things I was doing and had done.

So...er...sorry to waste everyone's time! And thanks for putting so much effort into these jailbreaks and hacks!

Last edited by willia4; 02-23-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Noted the reboot necessary after switching back to amazon mode
willia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #104
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
Thanks for this!!

Just installed it no probs!

Could you please do one thing though?

Could you post a detailed explanation of what ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES actually does?

Does it mean that "Hacked" updates will automatically download onto my device?

And if I delete this file, Amazon could automatically update my Kindle?

Or does it just stop Amazon from updating my device?

Thanks

Stew
On startup, my custom script looks for that file. If it finds it, it copies the jailbreak keys to the keys folder, if it doesn't find it, it copies the amazon keys to the keys folder.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #105
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
Works great! The Ultimate jailbreak of jailbreaks indeed!
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak kindle 3.1, yifanlu jailbreak