Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
heyneman
heyneman began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800SG
Getting started developing for the DR800

Hi,

I'm trying to play around with developing for my DR800. Unfortunately it seems I came to the party late, now that the iREX forums are down. I'm sure that a good tutorial exists somewhere, but I haven't found it yet (it may have been on the iREX forums...) If anyone can point me to a good tutorial, I'd appreciate it.

If people want to answer questions here, that'd be great too I am using a 64-bit ubuntu, but I installed the 32-bit libs. I originally had issues as a result of running 64-bit, but the 32-bit libs fixed those.

I've downloaded all the latest files from the iOn directory at developer.irexnet.com, and have been starting with the hello-world app. I've been trying to use Anjuta, since that's what's recommended in the iOn guide and I'm not super-comfortable just using the command line.

So far I can get everything to compile, with the caveat that I can't use Build->Configure Project... from within Anjuta; it says "/media/Data/DR800/projects/hello-world/(anjuta:19665): libanjuta-WARNING **: Cannot execute command: "/media/Data/DR800/projects/hello-world/./configure --host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi""
However, I can execute it myself from the terminal.

If I configure manually from the terminal and then compile everything is fine. I can start QEMU, but when I try to deploy to root@192.168.7.2 the connection is denied. I can't find any info (yet) on why that's where I'm supposed to be copying the compiled project, or how to change it (if that's what I'll need to do).

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

-Barrett
heyneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Welcome to the party, friends are never late

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyneman View Post
I'm sure that a good tutorial exists somewhere, but I haven't found it yet (it may have been on the iREX forums...) If anyone can point me to a good tutorial, I'd appreciate it.
The only official documentation is here, but I guess you found that already:
http://developer.irexnet.com/iOn/SDK...nvironment.pdf

Quote:
I am using a 64-bit ubuntu, but I installed the 32-bit libs. I originally had issues as a result of running 64-bit, but the 32-bit libs fixed those.
We use the 64-bit too, it should work fine.

Quote:
So far I can get everything to compile, with the caveat that I can't use Build->Configure Project... from within Anjuta; it says "/media/Data/DR800/projects/hello-world/(anjuta:19665): libanjuta-WARNING **: Cannot execute command: "/media/Data/DR800/projects/hello-world/./configure --host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi""
However, I can execute it myself from the terminal.
You hit an Anjuta Poky plugin bug. Patch is here http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/an...af7b1ae40fc331

Quote:
If I configure manually from the terminal and then compile everything is fine. I can start QEMU, but when I try to deploy to root@192.168.7.2 the connection is denied.
Be aware that you cannot deploy before QEMU is fully up and running. Can you ssh to root@192.168.7.2 manually?

Quote:
I can't find any info (yet) on why that's where I'm supposed to be copying the compiled project, or how to change it (if that's what I'll need to do).
The provided QEMU has 'hello-world' in /usr/bin/. By default, Anjuta installs to /usr/local/bin. To override it, add "--prefix=/usr" to the Configure Options.

Regards,
Gertjan
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
heyneman

Thanks for the help so far Gertjan.

Quote:
The only official documentation is here, but I guess you found that already:
http://developer.irexnet.com/iOn/SDK...nvironment.pdf
Yep, I've been going through that, but it seems so out of date that I was worried if it all still applied.

Quote:
You hit an Anjuta Poky plugin bug. Patch is here http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/an...af7b1ae40fc331
Thanks for the tip. Its odd, it seems the newest version of the poky plugin source has the patch applied to one of the two files, but not the other. I guess I should point that out to them.

I can get QEMU up and running, but not with the command generated by Anjuta. It seems it's an issue with the -net options which try to use TUN/TAP virtual networking to create the connection. I haven't seen anything in the documentation mentioning TUN/TAP packages or making sure to create a tap0 network interface. Do I need to do something like step 3 here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179472, or have I missed something in the documented setup that will fix the issue.

Thanks again for the prompt help

-Barrett
Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer

I've recently set up a machine with Ubuntu Lucid (10.04 LTS, 64-bit) and I was never bothered with TUN/TAP or NAT issues. It all 'magically' works out of the box.

Which Ubuntu are you running? Something special about your networking setup?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
heyneman

Quote:
Which Ubuntu are you running? Something special about your networking setup?
Same as you, 10.04 64-bit. I haven't done anything special with my networking setup that I know of (I'm also somewhat new to Ubuntu...)

I went ahead and tried the steps in that other forum post to get rid of the TUN/TAP errors, which seems to have worked. I can now ping 192.168.7.2 when the DR800 Qemu is up and running. However, when I try to ssh I get a "connection refused" error.

My assumption is this is an issue in the kernel image I'm loading for the DR800, since I can communicate with it via ping and it is actively refusing my connection. However, I'm at a loss as to how I could mess with the network settings of that kernel...

Anyway, time to get back to work, so I'll probably be playing with this again tonight.

-Barrett
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer

The most recent Qemu kernel and rootfs (2.0rc3) is below. I don't have problems using Deploy or ssh with this one. I just noticed it has an issue with accepting mouse input though.

http://developer.irexnet.com/iOn/SDK/4.0/
Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
heyneman

Well, that's what I'm using too...

Spoiler:
I guess I'll set everything up all over again tonight and maybe post again with anything I do that deviates from what's in the iOn development official document or anything interesting that comes up.

If I'm still having weird issues I'll start another thread specifically about it.

Edit: I don't know what I did differently this time, but everything seems to be working correctly now. Thanks again for all the help.

Is there a good, centralized place with apps people have already created (or are currently working on) for the DR800? or do I just need to sift through this and maybe other forums? I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

Hopefully I'll have something to contribute in the near future

-Barrett

Last edited by heyneman; 11-12-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyneman View Post
Well, that's what I'm using too...

Spoiler:
I guess I'll set everything up all over again tonight and maybe post again with anything I do that deviates from what's in the iOn development official document or anything interesting that comes up.

If I'm still having weird issues I'll start another thread specifically about it.

Edit: I don't know what I did differently this time, but everything seems to be working correctly now. Thanks again for all the help.

Is there a good, centralized place with apps people have already created (or are currently working on) for the DR800? or do I just need to sift through this and maybe other forums? I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

Hopefully I'll have something to contribute in the near future

-Barrett
Hi Heyneman,

you have https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Digital_Reader_Software

Anyway, you can always post to this devel subforum, we are a few people there with no much time but that we will answer eventually.

Welcome,
Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Personally I prefer "Anjuta free" environment. I've made a script to launch DR QEMU, and another one to mount DR ext2 disk so file copying is easy to handle. Midnight Commander helps doing search/view/edit sources and launching *.sh scripts as well as Makefiles. For the scripts see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=11.

There's no StarDict and xmahjongg mentioned on wiki ... sad

Last edited by dima_tr; 11-12-2010 at 04:31 AM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
There's no StarDict and xmahjongg mentioned on wiki ... sad
The good thing is that you can add it yourself !!

Edit: I just added xmahjongg and StarDict to the wiki.

Last edited by Mackx; 11-13-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote