Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Insdream SX601 - new ebook reader

I came across another e-reader yesterday, and I have to say that it intrigues me. The Insdream SX601 was developed by Sanxo Technology,which is located in Shenzhen, China's Silicon Valley.

The SX601 has rather unique screen in the ereader market. Instead of the expected Vizplex, it has a gray scale DSTN screen. According to the manufacturer, it's as energy efficient as an epaper screen and its only disadvantage (weaker contrast) is balanced by a faster refresh.

Specs:
  • 6" screen, 16 grayscale level
  • MP3 support
  • MicroSD slot (up to 4GB)
  • speaker
  • headphone port
  • portrait & landscape mode
  • FBReader

The manufacturer has a photo gallery here. Yes, it does look like a Kindle clone. I also think it looks like the screen image was photoshopped. Yes/No?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EN601B3.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	42097  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Damnation, that could've been a good kindle 3 design, but the designers already own this... shoot!
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I came across another e-reader yesterday, and I have to say that it intrigues me. The Insdream SX601 was developed by Sanxo Technology,which is located in Shenzhen, China's Silicon Valley.

The SX601 has rather unique screen in the ereader market. Instead of the expected Vizplex, it has a gray scale DSTN screen. According to the manufacturer, it's as energy efficient as an epaper screen and its only disadvantage (weaker contrast) is balanced by a faster refresh.

Specs:
  • 6" screen, 16 grayscale level
  • MP3 support
  • MicroSD slot (up to 4GB)
  • speaker
  • headphone port
  • portrait & landscape mode
  • FBReader

The manufacturer has a photo gallery here. Yes, it does look like a Kindle clone. I also think it looks like the screen image was photoshopped. Yes/No?
Is it Linux OS?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
What crooks!
As if weaker contrast could be balanced by anything. Their screen looks awfully dark.
The most needed improvement for readers is far better contrast, to be able to read comfortably in far from perfect conditions, and preserve our eyes.
Right now our readers need more ambient light than paper books. That is neither ecological nor convenient. And that can make our eyes sore.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
my question is: why didn't they invent a new design? Why they must made it looks like other products? =__=
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassle View Post
my question is: why didn't they invent a new design? Why they must made it looks like other products? =__=
but really where else would you put the keyboard? its a pretty basic design of keyboard under screen, take a photo of your desktop PC its a keyboard under a screen, look at your phone etc.

it is what it is.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Exactly. "Form follows function", etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Faster refresh is good...but with my eye problems, I've GOT to have contrast--the darker the text the better...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
SILen(e
SILen(e began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Int.
Yes, but the grey plastic on it's upper back isn't "function" but just "Hey look, i'm a Kindle 2", kinda like those Playstation Portable-clones called Popstation etc.
SILen(e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Yes, but the grey plastic on it's upper back isn't "function" but just "Hey look, i'm a Kindle 2", kinda like those Playstation Portable-clones called Popstation etc.
surely thats the lower back?? anyway my original iphone has a grey top 2 thirds on the back! did the kindle copy it from that?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very interesting!

and a built-in calculator too! Bonus!

Last edited by kennyc; 12-29-2009 at 11:13 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
OR... get an Astak Pocket PRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Faster refresh is good...but with my eye problems, I've GOT to have contrast--the darker the text the better...
Dear BearMountain:

I work for Astak so I am likely biased. But, we have helped a lot of people with eye problems.

You could get an Astak Pocket PRO (www.theEZreader.com). While it is a 5 inch size, they took all the pixels of a 6 inch and put them in the 5 inch. The result is a very easy to read screen with 9 font sizes.

It also has Text-to-Speech so it can read to you. At $199 it is a bargain!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear BearMountain:

I work for Astak so I am likely biased. But, we have helped a lot of people with eye problems.

You could get an Astak Pocket PRO (www.theEZreader.com). While it is a 5 inch size, they took all the pixels of a 6 inch and put them in the 5 inch. The result is a very easy to read screen with 9 font sizes.

But the contrast is lower than on a Sony 505. The 5" screens have lower contrast than the bigger screens -- from my comparisons. I've yet to see anyone come up with objective measurements stating one way or the other. The black is the same on both the 505 and the PP but the background is darker on the PP than on the 505.

Font size if bigger might be useful but I'm not seeing bigger fonts on the PP than on the 505 (but it does have smaller ones).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
The first thought that came to my mind when I saw that picture was "it's a bit 'Kindlish'."
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear BearMountain:

I don't mind the suggestion--thanks! The ability to create larger font sizes is definitely a plus (Kindle didn't go all that large to start with, but have added some now--I'm not THAT bad yet, but I definitely want the ability to size way up!)

The text to speech is Very important as well.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote