Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #616
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Gazella: After a (>= 5.3.x) software update, a factory reset should be enough, yes.
Will my custom fonts be deleted? I mean are they part of the jailbreak?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #617
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Gazella: Which custom fonts?

But anyway, since a factory reset wipes the user partition, the answer is: yes, of course they will be gone (as will everything on your device: books, pictures, whatever, ...). (And, no, this has nothing to do with the JB).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #618
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Gazella: Which custom fonts?

But anyway, since a factory reset wipes the user partition, the answer is: yes, of course they will be gone (as will everything on your device: books, pictures, whatever, ...). (And, no, this has nothing to do with the JB).
I mean, if I were to remove the jailbreak completely, will I be able to add custom fonts after doing that? Or does my device have to be jailbroken for fonts?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #619
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Gazella
If you are referring to USE_ALT_FONTS, then your PW1 does not need to be jailbroken for you to use the already installed (factory) alternate fonts or for you to add your own fonts.

If you are looking for a discussion of how to add custom fonts without a jailbreak (USE_ALT_FONTS), you will find it here along with several fonts that have been provided by other MR members that you can download...some are quite good.

Last edited by GoSharks; 11-15-2013 at 10:09 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #620
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Gazella
If you are referring to USE_ALT_FONTS, then your PW1 does not need to be jailbroken for you to use the already installed (factory) alternate fonts or for you to add your own fonts.

If you are looking for a discussion of how to add custom fonts without a jailbreak (USE_ALT_FONTS), you will find it here along with several fonts that have been provided by other MR members that you can download...some are quite good.
That's exactly what I mean. I do already use USE_ALT_FONTS, but I just wanted to know that if this needs a jailbreak. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #621
Gazella
Wizard

OK so I need some help. I like to organize my books in collections, and that is how I do it on my Paperwhite. If I go to settings and tap on reset device, I'm aware that everything will be erased. Will I then have to sync all my books again and create the collections? Or is there like a backup/restore or something?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #622
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
OK so I need some help. I like to organize my books in collections, and that is how I do it on my Paperwhite. If I go to settings and tap on reset device, I'm aware that everything will be erased. Will I then have to sync all my books again and create the collections? Or is there like a backup/restore or something?
Not "everything" will be erased.

That only resets most of Amazon's settings and enough of our jail break files to prevent that from working.

In general, it does not disturb the user's USB accessible storage.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #623
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@nc1: That's a factory reset, not a reboot/update, so, yeah, it'll wipe the userstore & varlocal .

@Gazella: It will wipe everything. Depending on how deeply encroached in the Amazon ecosystem you are, everything might be backed up on the cloud, but that's a 'might', and, yes, you'll need to sync them back again. (In particular, the collections handling is notably flaky).

On a sidenote, see my numerous comments about using the USE_ALT_FONTS trick 'as-is' (ie. without at the very least a safety net): don't.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-15-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #624
Gazella
Wizard

Aaah. I don't feel like syncing all my books and recreating my collections! I'll just leave it be.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #625
moonster
moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.moonster can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
...deleted...

Last edited by moonster; 12-11-2013 at 07:07 AM.
moonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #626
kindlereader101
kindlereader101 began at the beginning.

I'm having trouble updating to the OS 5.3.5, my kindle paperwhite won't let me press update your kindle. Please HELP ME!!!
kindlereader101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #627
kindlereader101
kindlereader101 began at the beginning.

FOR IXTAB

I know your post for the jailbreak screensaver on the Kindle Paperwhitw was like last year, but please help me because I am having trouble updating/downgrading to the OS 5.3.5 because my OS is 5.4.2 which is way too high. So when I didn't read correctly the thing where you press and hold your thumb in the corner didn't work...... So when I tried updating it never worked!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!
kindlereader101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #628
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
This is the thread with the info you need to downgrade your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlereader101 View Post
I know your post for the jailbreak screensaver on the Kindle Paperwhitw was like last year, but please help me because I am having trouble updating/downgrading to the OS 5.3.5 because my OS is 5.4.2 which is way too high.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #629
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
On a sidenote, see my numerous comments about using the USE_ALT_FONTS trick 'as-is' (ie. without at the very least a safety net): don't.
By safety net, are you referring to jailbreak?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #630
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No, the JB itself doesn't do anything. I meant in part the Fonts Hack, which wraps the process around a tiny bit to soften the blow (and optionally eliminates some, but not all, of the root issues, at the expense of potentially adding others), but mostly USBNetwork (and the Rescue Pack + CRP).