Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Newbie from Germany

Hi there,
I live in Munich, Germany, and found this site some days ago while I was seeking information about the Amazon Kindle and the Sony PRS.

I love reading and my bookshelves are filled with more than a thousand books. An eBook Reader would probably save me from buying more shelves ;-)

I think there are certainly books you want as "real stuff" - hardcovers, real ink, real pages, a real thing standing there and being part of your personal library. On the other hand there are a lot of books I buy as paperbacks. Quick and easy reads you take with you when you travel. And I really would prefer to have those books as eBooks.

As far as I can see, the market for eBooks and readers is almost not developed in Germany. We can bring a kindle from the US, but won´t be able to purchase books for it. And the Sony PRS 505 will be available here springtime 2009. I´m thinking about buying the US- or UK-version, because I might not be patient enough to wait that long.

Regards from Germany
Ravenne
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey There! Welcome!

It sounds like you will be a perfect match to any device you choose. They are all good. There's are German forums here at Mobile Read (click "forums" at the top of the page), so maybe your neighbors can tell you what sort of experiences they have with their devices and content in Germany.

I want to visit Munich and Bavaria, probably in another 2 yrs. Should a first-timer to Munich plan to be there for Oktoberfest, or would we be overwhelmed? In my mind, it is sort of like Mardi Gras in New Orleans - best experienced for the first time with the help of a local.

Welcome aboard, and Happy Reading!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Hi there,
Ravenne
Hi Ravenne and welcome--hope you have lots of fun here!!

I think there are others here who migrated to ebooks because they didn't have room for more shelves

Tschuss,
R.L.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ravenne and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

I want to visit Munich and Bavaria, probably in another 2 yrs. Should a first-timer to Munich plan to be there for Oktoberfest, or would we be overwhelmed? In my mind, it is sort of like Mardi Gras in New Orleans - best experienced for the first time with the help of a local.
I've been to Munich numerous times, including during OctoberFest. It's a great time and I don't think you'd feel overwhelmed. OctoberFest occurs largely in one area of the city (think very large fairgrounds) and, although that gets understandably crowded, the rest of the city seems fairly normal. More tourists around of course, but not overwhelming.

OTOH, Munich is such a great city that going outside of OctoberFest would still be a great time. Be sure and get to the old part of the city (AltenStadt) as there are some very nice restaurants and beer halls there. And plan on spending at least one night in the Haufbrau Hause.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the advice!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:39 AM   #7
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hey There! Welcome!

Sure you should! As Cassidym wrote the Oktoberfest is only in one part of the city. Still Munich´s quite crowded during those 16 days, because there are a lot of tourists, but it´s not too bad. Despites its name the Oktoberfest -or "Wiesn" as we Bavarian call it - already starts on the last weekend in September.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote