Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here's a headline from AppleInsider:

Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less

Take a look at the comments from the fan boys
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

I like the guy who claims the "old one" slows down and falls apart after a few months, then backs it up with a forum link about a guy having issues with his Nexus S phone running GB 2.3 with 400 apps on it in 2011.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I like the guy who claims the "old one" slows down and falls apart after a few months, then backs it up with a forum link about a guy having issues with his Nexus S phone running GB 2.3 with 400 apps on it in 2011.
The arguments against having separate user accounts on your tablet are even more amusing!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Since the author of the article can't get his facts straight...

"The new device is also 6mm narrower and 60g lighter than its predecessor. Its larger battery adds an additional hour of video playback, as well as two more hours of web surfing."

I can't expect the fanboys to get their facts straight either.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Well, I'm excited! I've been wanting a good, eye-friendly tablet display for a couple years now. I played with my husband's 1st Gen Nexus 7, but quickly realized it would bother my eyes since pixels were still visible. The same of course was true for all the other 7" tablets on the market. I can use the Nook HD+ I got on sale as an interim device, but it's not great to read on because I can still see pixels in all the text. Good enough for browsing, nice size for magazines, but I also wanted a more on-the-go size tablet. Was not willing to buy one I couldn't also read occasionally on though. So this floats my boat!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I can't expect the fanboys to get their facts straight either.
That applies equally to Apple and Google/Android fanboys, and pretty much any other fan group.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
"720"
"Amazon ? 1080p screen"

What do these (TV) terms mean on a 7 inch tablet?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #23
coolhardware
coolhardware began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thumbs up Nexus 7 (2nd gen) pixel density vs iPad Mini (1st gen)

I am very excited as the Nexus 7 seems to be a very nice high resolution device with excellent pixel density (315 PPI).

Poor display was my big disappointment with the iPad mini and I ended up returning it after struggling with pixelation when displaying small content (small fonts etc.). the iPad mini has a much lower pixel density (163 PPI) though I do like it's aspect ratio of 4:3 better than the nexus 7's 16:9 mainly because I read more on a tablet than I watch movies on a tablet!

PPI source info is from the list here: http://pixensity.com/list/tablet/

Here's hoping Apple actually makes a nice upgrade when they release their new iPad Mini sometime!!!

Anyone else have any thoughts/comparisons between those two tablets?

Last edited by coolhardware; 07-24-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Typos!
coolhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
From AndroidCentral: "The new Nexus 7: Hands-on pictures and video"

Quote:
Lighter, thinner, better built and with refreshed internals

....A worthy successor to the original 7-inch tablet that really kicked off Android for the larger form factor, this ASUS-made unit has been improved in nearly every aspect. Starting with the build, the new Nexus 7 is thinner, narrower and about 50g lighter than the original. Bezels on the top and bottom remain large to help with usability, but the width has been reduced by over 6mm in total -- and you can tell instantly when wrapping your hand around it.

Around the front, Google has upped the screen both in terms of resolution -- 1920x1200 now -- and overall quality. On the back, we're looking at a dual speaker setup with synthetic surround sound software to provide a more immersive experience. Up in the top left corner you'll find a 5-megapixel camera (nothing fancy here, just a camera) and a new, larger "Nexus" logo that runs vertically rather than horizontally when holding the tablet in portrait mode. The back plate is harder, with a soft touch coating that is a bit different than the fake "leather" feel of the original.

The internals have all been upgraded as well, with a new quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro 1.5GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, 16 or 32GB of storage and optional LTE connectivity. All together we should be looking at a snappy and enjoyable experience with internals that are very similar to the Nexus 4.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Wayoutwilly
Enthusiast
Wayoutwilly doesn't litterWayoutwilly doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen Gen3
There is a nice comparison of old and new Nexus 7 if anybody is interested:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/n...whats-changed/
Wayoutwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
coolhardware
coolhardware began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the video and Engadget link I think I am going to pick one of these up when they come out Hopefully Amazon will get some pre-order options up soon!!!
coolhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I was hoping any company but Asus would get the new Nexus 7, despite me having the original 32gb Nexus 7 I've read about way to many issues from other 7 user and Transformer users off slowdown from what I've picked up it's related to the cheap flash storage used by Asus.

Now my Nexus 7 is still fast as when I bought it but it hasn't been that long to know for sure I definitely look at Asus as taking a big gamble now and next tablet I buy will probably be from Samsung who I now trust a lot more.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That applies equally to Apple and Google/Android fanboys, and pretty much any other fan group.
Did you read the comments from that article? Android fanboys may be pretty bad, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many on par with thise Apple fanboys.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I was hoping any company but Asus would get the new Nexus 7, despite me having the original 32gb Nexus 7 I've read about way to many issues from other 7 user and Transformer users off slowdown from what I've picked up it's related to the cheap flash storage used by Asus.

Now my Nexus 7 is still fast as when I bought it but it hasn't been that long to know for sure I definitely look at Asus as taking a big gamble now and next tablet I buy will probably be from Samsung who I now trust a lot more.
It is perfectly normal for android to slow down over time, as applications are added, and cache get bigger. Having used low ram devices, the effect was striking.

Fix is to clean up the cache every now and then, watch out for apps using ram (hello facebook !!)

One person started a rumor, then everyone goes "oh bad memory"... No, just normal software issue.

And chrome used to cause serious mess, but again, no hardware issue, chrome issue...

I also advice reading this :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1971852

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-25-2013 at 04:41 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #30
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Kudos to Google for taking the lead in screen resolution for 7-8" devices. If you read on a color lcd screen as I do, then resolution really does make a big difference. The new 7" Nexus should make for a marvelous e-reader.

And shame on both Apple and Samsung for lagging so far behind in this size category. I'm really surprised at Samsung since they are a major manufacturer of LCD screens. So they should have no problems getting their hands on any high-res screen they wanted. They have no excuse.

The only knock on Google is the continuing lack of a card slot. But since they are keeping their prices low, then that somewhat mitigates the oversight.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote