Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
Huh. I've never heard that. Care to detail?
Too many threads on Stanza to bother to rehash.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon recently released a new version of Kindle and the margins are still stupid on an iPhone. I don't expect Apple to be any smarter with iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #33
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Only those who pass a basic reading comprehension exam are encouraged to participate.
there is trouble enough on streets
so you must go online to make a difference?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #34
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
there is trouble enough on streets
so you must go online to make a difference?
Some places I toured in my younger days, when the trouble makers seemed to be jumping out from behind every bush, we would say:

"Keep your head down. The natives are restless tonight!"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #35
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon recently released a new version of Kindle and the margins are still stupid on an iPhone. I don't expect Apple to be any smarter with iBooks.
One could always hope that if they get rid of that ridiculous pseudo-book UI, they might make more sensible use of the screen real estate. In the meantime I wait for an iPhone version of Marvin and continue with Stanza.

I've reupdated to iOS7 and explored the options further. Mine is looking fairly decent at the moment, I've chosen a wallpaper which actually makes the screens look good, unlike the Apple offerings which are just hideous. Also managed to find a way to stop a lot of background app activity which combined with judicious swipe to terminate is saving my battery. I'll get used to it.

[edit] No I won't. I tried to like the new UI, really I did. But I don't, and thats that. I'll stick with the older firmware until I absolutely have to upgrade... Same with OSX 10.9... I'm part of the beta test but I don't plan to continue and have already restored my system to 10.8.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 06-18-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: ffurther to that....
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #36
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
It could make a difference on iPad if it allowed for "two apps on screen simultaneously option" (taking notes or writing and copying while reading etc.) which I doubt it will which is why it wont make much of a difference... UI design is mostly absent in most reading apps and this is what iOS mostly is...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #37
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yes. There are new settings that may make a few differences. I posted another thread to point them out.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #38
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
The next beta is out now, I may try it again. Its also out for iPad, I'll probably try it on the Mini first.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #39
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
The next beta is out now, I may try it again. Its also out for iPad, I'll probably try it on the Mini first.
FYI: I had my touchscreen die on me on the Mini. That was a pretty big bug. It freaked me out even.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #40
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyReader View Post
If Jobs was still kicking the size of the iPhone screen would be more current.
I'm not so sure.

Quote:
That's an idea that was repeated many times by Steve Jobs. He—and Tim Cook, for that matter—expressed his disgust with the 16:9 format one the iPad and the iPhone, saying that it doesn't make much sense from a design point of view. Except for movies, it's a format that doesn't bring much benefit. And it's actively bad for things like books and magazines.
Source

That said, Jobs was known for doing an about face every now and then.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote