Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #1396
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I agree. That is pretty much how I felt about the ending.
Thank you. Maybe I should not be so unhappy about the end after all, only because you guys appear disapointed a bit. The book was still enjoyable to you a lot? I am still at a point where every book gets better than the last, hopefully that continues until I get to Cold Days.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #1397
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ghoul Goblin #1 Preview
Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Am I the only one that would like to see an original-story comic featuring Strength of a River in His Shoulders?
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #1398
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I was doing a spreadsheet of all the series I've been reading lately. I'm putting the book titles and publication dates on the spread and came across the oddest thing. One, it's ridiculous to find publication dates for Dresden Novels. Two, the link in the first post here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=111 I believe is incorrect. Unless these are some re-release dates for the ebooks or something. Wikipedia has these books publishing all over the place. See below from Alan's post I linked to above:

1 Storm Front [2000 November 6]
2 Fool Moon [2008 July 1]
3 Grave Peril [2008 November 4]
4 Summer Knight [2009 July 7]
5 Death Masks [2009 November 3]
6 Blood Rites [2010 July 5]
7 Dead Beat [2005 May 3]
8 Proven Guilty [2006 May 2]
9 White Night [2007 April 3]
10 Small Favor [2008 April 1]
11 Turn Coat [2009 April 7]
12 Changes [2010 April 6]
13 Ghost Story [2011 July 26]
14 Cold Days [no release date]

How were the 2nd - 6th books published before the 7th - 10th? I searched all over and found most at Amazon, can anyone tell me if the below are correct? Or am I missing something when it comes to the above dates and those are actually true?

Storm Front 2000
Fool Moon 2001
Grave Peril 2001
Summer Knight 2002
Death Masks 2003
Blood Rites 2004
Dead Beat 2006
Proven Guilty 2007
White Night 2008
Small Favor 2009
Turn Coat 2009
Changes 2010
Side Jobs 2011
Ghost Story 2012
Cold Days 2012

Yes I'm bored at work, and this is what I'm doing to kill time
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #1399
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Publication dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I was doing a spreadsheet of all the series I've been reading lately. I'm putting the book titles and publication dates on the spread and came across the oddest thing. One, it's ridiculous to find publication dates for Dresden Novels. Two, the link in the first post here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=111 I believe is incorrect. Unless these are some re-release dates for the ebooks or something. Wikipedia has these books publishing all over the place. See below from Alan's post I linked to above:

1 Storm Front [2000 November 6]
2 Fool Moon [2008 July 1]
3 Grave Peril [2008 November 4]
4 Summer Knight [2009 July 7]
5 Death Masks [2009 November 3]
6 Blood Rites [2010 July 5]
7 Dead Beat [2005 May 3]
8 Proven Guilty [2006 May 2]
9 White Night [2007 April 3]
10 Small Favor [2008 April 1]
11 Turn Coat [2009 April 7]
12 Changes [2010 April 6]
13 Ghost Story [2011 July 26]
14 Cold Days [no release date]

How were the 2nd - 6th books published before the 7th - 10th? I searched all over and found most at Amazon, can anyone tell me if the below are correct? Or am I missing something when it comes to the above dates and those are actually true?

Storm Front 2000
Fool Moon 2001
Grave Peril 2001
Summer Knight 2002
Death Masks 2003
Blood Rites 2004
Dead Beat 2006
Proven Guilty 2007
White Night 2008
Small Favor 2009
Turn Coat 2009
Changes 2010
Side Jobs 2011
Ghost Story 2012
Cold Days 2012

Yes I'm bored at work, and this is what I'm doing to kill time
Those are hardback release dates, not original publication dates. To quote the Beatles, originally Jim Butcher was a 'Paperback Writer'!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-13-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add info
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #1400
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those are hardback release dates, not original publication dates. To quote the Beatles, originally Jim Butcher was a 'Paperback Writer'!

I really need to get a life
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #1401
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

And that tidbit is why you ARE the official Dredenverse Guru!!

Quote:
I really need to get a life
Naw... you're among kindred spirits.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #1402
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

I just bought Cold Days!!!! Merry Christmas to me . Soon I will be able to catch up on all the latest spoilers in this thread
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #1403
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just bought Cold Days!!!! Merry Christmas to me . Soon I will be able to catch up on all the latest spoilers in this thread
Merry Christmas to you. I hope by the time I get to Cold Days the Kindle price will have dropped under $10.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #1404
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool a good reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Merry Christmas to you. I hope by the time I get to Cold Days the Kindle price will have dropped under $10.
Ahhh...a good reason to be 3 months beind on your TBR!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #1405
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
I bought it, too. But, when I told a friend of my plan to read it out of order (I still haven't read Changes yet) he was so horrified that I promised to save it until I'm caught up
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #1406
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I bought it, too. But, when I told a friend of my plan to read it out of order (I still haven't read Changes yet) he was so horrified that I promised to save it until I'm caught up
If I had known of your plans it would have horrified me too! Kudos to your friend for convincing you to not make that rather large mistake!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #1407
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Definitely read both Changes and Ghost Story before Cold Days! I wasn't going to read Ghost Story but everyone here convinced me to do it and I am very thankful .

I'm glad I started Cold Days just before Christmas:

Spoiler:
Santa Claus

Also, my new favourite word: (not really a spoiler, but wrapped it just in case anybody didn't want to see a single word out of the book)

Spoiler:
Vajazzled

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 12-14-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added another spoiler
Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #1408
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I am currently reading Cold Days, but reading goes slowly. Not because of the writing, but of my lack of time. Only about 100 pages to go... I really like the book, although I am not too fond of some things. But, I have the suspicion it is there for a reason...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #1409
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool there for a reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
... I really like the book, although I am not too fond of some things. But, I have the suspicion it is there for a reason...

Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #1410
DuckieTigger
Wizard

confused about Dead Beat

Ok, so i finished Dead Beat yesterday and still can't bring myself to start Proven Guilty. The end again is a complete surprise, as it was with all books so far. But I can't stop thinking of why some things were said. Rest of the post going to be a spoiler, actually a pretty big one of you have not finished Dead Beat.

WARNING: DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED DEAD BEAT
Spoiler:
This is the threat that Harry makes to Mavra. Part of me wants to actually see it happen, all of it, at the same time, just to see / read it. But then, this cannot be. If all that happens it would be the end of Harry as we know him up to this point.

Bold is mine, which I believe to be wrong if Harry freewilly chooses to do so.
Quote:
I stared at her for a full ten seconds before I said, in a very quiet voice, "I've got a fallen angel tripping all over herself to give me more power. Queen Mab has asked me to take the mantle of Winter Knight twice now. I've read Kemmler's book. I know how the Darkhallow works. And I know how to turn necromancy against the Black Court."

Mavra's filmed eyes flashed with anger.

I continued to speak quietly, never raising my voice. "So once again, let me be perfectly clear. If anything happens to Murphy and I even think you had a hand in it, fuck right and wrong. If you touch her, I'm declaring war on you. Personally. I'm picking up every weapon I can get. And I'm using them to kill you. Horribly."
I suspect some of that to happen later in the series (in fact I know of one thing that will happen). That does not bother me so much. What bothers me: Why did Harry make the threat if deep down he knows it is against his beliefs to actually do it? At least all at once, on purpose.

It is very dramatic, and I loved reading it. So much that I re-read the whole scene imediately after again for effect. But it is so wrong. Am I evil? Or is Harry's evil at this point?

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy