Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #46
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thank you beppe. I've learned a few interesting things about Italian neorealism having this conversation with you (I suppose if it wins, I'll learn a few more things about it too!)

Regarding The Tibetan Book Of The Dead, it seems best if rescinding a nomination is mostly only done if the nomination is decided to be ineligible. This instance though seems fine, considering that taosaur stated a preference for Montaillou in the original nomination post but didn't realise that it would be eligible, and also considering that no one has seconded the original nomination yet.

So as of now The Tibetan Book Of The Dead is not nominated yet, and Montaillou is.

Personally I am interested in both of them. The Tibetan Book Of The Dead is on my longlist of books to read, and seeing it nominated piqued my interest again. I haven't heard of Montaillou before, but it sounds very interesting.

Because of that, I will second Montaillou.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #47
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a tough choice, even between the two with four votes, but my last nomination will go to fifth "Insurgent Mexico".

There is about a day of voting left. Here's the results so far, updated through post #53:

People Of The Abyss by Jack London - 5

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - 2

Insurgent Mexico by John Reed - 5

Letters by Heloise & Pierre Abelard/Historia Calamitatum by Pierre Abelard - 3

In The Garden Of The Beasts by Erik Larson - 1

Christ Stopped At Eboli by Carlo Levi - 5

The Occult Philosophy In The Elizabethan Age by Frances Yates - 1

Unbroken: A World War II Story Of Survival, Resilience, And Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand - 4

Covering Islam: How The Media And The Experts Determine How We See The Rest Of The World by Edward Said - 2

Montaillou: Promised Land Of Error by ? - 2

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-26-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: updating
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I can happily say that of all the books mentioned so far, the only one I won't read or reread is the Larson, and that's because I read it just six weeks ago. This is a great list.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #49
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
^sun surfer
I am sorry to create troubles or problems.
I would like to retire my nomination of the occult Philisophy. There are no other votes than mine.
I would like to use my recovered vote for fifthing Christ stopped at Eboli.
Would that be possible?
Thank you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #50
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Indeed. Some fresh avatars to provide more endorsements of those on the existing list would be nice. Or to provide a new selection that would catch fire. On the other hand if it ends up as just a head-to-head competition between People Of The Abyss and Insurgent Mexico it would be just a matter of how soon I would read one of the two that will both be read by me before long.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #51
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
^sun surfer
I am sorry to create troubles or problems.
I would like to retire my nomination of the occult Philisophy. There are no other votes than mine.
I would like to use my recovered vote for fifthing Christ stopped at Eboli.
Would that be possible?
Thank you.
It's better not to set a precedent for this sort of thing. It doesn't seem like a good idea to rescind a less popular nomination to support a more popular one.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #52
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It's better not to set a precedent for this sort of thing. It doesn't seem like a good idea to rescind a less popular nomination to support a more popular one.
Fine. Thank you any way
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #53
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will fifth Christ Stopped at Eboli. Sounds interesting. I will also fourth Unbroken.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #54
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Nominations Updated in Post #20

Hello, All.

I've updated the nominations so far. They can be viewed in Post #20.

I have a question, however. Based on what Sun Sufer said about not setting a precedent by recinding a nomination, it would seem to be that "Bardo Thopal" not be recinded and replaced with "Montaillou". Sun Surfer, I need your ruling here.

I will use my first nomination and fifth "Unbroken".

Regards,
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #55
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

We have four fully nominated books so far! One more fully nominated book will put us at five. There's a few more hours left to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
I have a question, however. Based on what Sun Sufer said about not setting a precedent by recinding a nomination, it would seem to be that "Bardo Thopal" not be recinded and replaced with "Montaillou". Sun Surfer, I need your ruling here.
Thanks, Vandy. Mainly I think the change to that nomination is fine because taosaur had said in the nomination post that s/he'd prefer the other one but didn't realise it was eligible. Even so, it still wouldn't have been good to change if it had gotten a second, but it hadn't so I didn't see any harm since that situation was pretty unusual. Montaillou would've been nominated either way since taosaur has one nomination left; the change just seemed like the nice thing to do in case s/he wanted to use that last nomination on something else. The precedent I didn't want to set was for the more general reasons beppe wanted to rescind a nomination.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule here - just for the most part, rescinding a nomination doesn't seem like a good idea unless the nomination turns out to be ineligible. I trust us all to rescind responsibly.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-27-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #56
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are now closed. The poll will be up shortly.

Tags
book club, literary, literature, nominations, non-fiction