Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #76
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
With paper books I tended to remember the page I was on. Even if I was reading more than one book at a time. I don't seem to remember them with my e-reader since I don't have to.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #77
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
With paper books I tended to remember the page I was on. Even if I was reading more than one book at a time. <snip>
My husband is the same way.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #78
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I used to have this nice metal bookmark with embroidery of some kind which I used on my print books. I don't know where it is anymore.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #79
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
The single thing I miss because of my ebook reader is the excuse to buy and use pretty bookmarks.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #80
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I have a myriad of bookmarks that are now wallowing nakedly in self-pity.

Should I restore their dignity by just putting them in any old book so that they feel useful?
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #81
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
I have a myriad of bookmarks that are now wallowing nakedly in self-pity.

Should I restore their dignity by just putting them in any old book so that they feel useful?
I do that, actually!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #82
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Always..

I've always used bookmarks. I expect anyone I lend a book to, to do the same. What you do to your own book is up to you I suppose; but don't let me catch you reading one of mine opened facedown, holding your place.
I've finished pocketbooks that you'd be hard pressed to prove they were even opened at all.
Recently I lent a 'must read' (for me anyway) book of mine to a friend. Part way through his read I saw it absolutely destroyed. I kept my lip zipped.
When he was finished reading it, he presented me with a pristine new copy. He also bought himself a new copy, and one more for another friend because he enjoyed it so much.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #83
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
The beta version of the Mobipocket app for Blackberry's Storm2 has been annoying me recently because, under some conditions, when I re-open the application I find that it has opened my book to a location a few pages back from where I left off reading.

This led me to think of how things used to be years ago when I still read paper books. I never used bookmarks because it was a hassle to either move the bookmark once or twice every time I flipped the page, or else remember without fail to insert the bookmark before closing the book. I just had a sense of the thickness of remaining pages and opened up close to where I left off and flipped around a few pages.

However, nowadays, I've usually got between five to ten books in progress at once (on Blackberry and Sony Reader) and there is no way I could possibly remember where I was in so many books at the same time. I would be completely lost without the automatic "resume from where you left off" feature.

So for you guys who still read paper books, do you use bookmarks? How many books do you have active at once?
Book markers are one of my favorite things. I've been collecting and using them forever!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #84
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
ATTENTION!: Those who get heart attacks from seeing people dog-ear books - stop reading NOW!

When reading on my Sony, I always used the bookmark function as I'm usually in the middle of several books at the same time. When reading a 'borrowed book' from the library or from a friend I use an ornate thin metal bookmark to hold my place.

But... when reading a junk paperback (and ONLY with junk paperbacks) I follow two different methods. If at or near home, I ALWAYS dog-ear the page to mark it. If traveling for business or vacation... I tear off the already-read pages to make the book thinner and lighter to carry. These are not holy bibles. They are tools to help pass the time, and are discarded with finished. Yes... I sometimes even tear off the 'do not remove' tags on the bottoms of mattresses too... I have been seeking help for this problem, but to date, there are no support groups available.

Stitchawl
I could never do that to a poor defenseless book!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #85
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArenson View Post
I confess that, back when I'd read DTBs, I'd sometimes use tissue papers as bookmarks. Luckily, they were always clean.
I often find myself on the toilet with no bookmark so....

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #86
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I often find myself on the toilet with no bookmark so....

I trust you mean you use toilet paper to mark your place.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #87
C. R. Hindmarsh
Wordslinger
C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPod
I'll use whatever I can get my hands on as a bookmark. Often it's a receipt or tissue paper. I'm doomed without something to mark my place. Curse my pathetic memory!

On the other hand, my girlfriend absolutely refuses to use bookmarks. I don't know what sort of weird moral high ground thing it is, but she's determined to stick with it
C. R. Hindmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #88
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I could never do that to a poor defenseless book!
Nor I! Sacrilege!

Taught our kids the same, never dog ear a book! Even a dried up gum leaf is preferable to that
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #89
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
to the OP, yes, when i'm at home. however, when i'm out i use any paper as my bookmarks are expensive
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #90
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rePete View Post
At Bas Bleu they have page points that are indespensible. For two column books I put one at the top to indicate column and one on the side to show the line I left off with.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|PageID=6917

I don't like these as much as the ones I have but Bas Bleu only has gaudy looking ones right now

http://www.basbleu.com/cgi-bin/hazel...il&item=UD0992

The last time I bought, I got 6 tins with 75 points per container; three different metal finishes - gold, silver, and bronze

P.S. my eReader has a small flag in the upper right corner that I can tap to bookmark the page I'm on. Now the only trouble is, one print page can equal two or three epages so I still end up re-reading some material to find where I left off.
You know, necro'ing a thread is 7 years back luck per each year the thread has been dead.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote