Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
iRex Blog: A look inside the iLiad and prospect of Vizplex

On the iRex Blog there is an interesting article about the internal workings of the iLiad, a bit of information about where and how it is produced, and what differentiates the iLiad electronics from other E Ink devices.

It also mentions that iRex is looking into E Ink's latest Vizplex technology; in fact, they are testing it right now.

Related: iRex iLiad Internals (photos)
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That sounds promising. But they left one important think out... Vizplex has more contrast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Actually, vizplex has less contrast
It has a contrast ratio of 7:1 whereas the previous material has about 8:1.
But the refectivity of vizplex is about 40% while previous e-ink material had around 32-35%.

So all in all, its not "that much" of a difference. But its a step. Since its brighter, it might seem more contratsy to some people. I like that ist faster though.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'd like to see a Vizplex screen compared to a recent iLiad. I doubt the contrast is that much better. When comparing a new prs-500 to my new iLiad screen, I was highly disappointed at the screen quality of the Sony.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Dont forget, that the e-ink screen seem to loose a bit contrast over time. So the comparison could be unfair, although i have to admit, that i am quite astonished at how bright the newer iLiad screens look. I hope i can compare it to my CyBook Vizplex screen soon.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
PhilT
Enthusiast
PhilT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
... i am quite astonished at how bright the newer iLiad screens look. ...
What do you mean by this? Newer as in new model or because it's not been used before (brand new). If you know what I mean!
PhilT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac

newer as in newer iLiads. The new ones seem to be brighter than the earlier iLiads. But since i do not have a direct comparison, it might just be me beeing astoished about e-ink in general all over again

It seems though, that iRex has developed a way to generate waveforms for specific batches of e-ink material, which results in better contrast, than using a standard waveform for all.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Look at this video comparing a PRS 500 vs. 505.

And here another one...

I'd really like to see vizplex in real. Looks promising...
Gogol
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
alanine
Connoisseur
alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad v2
I did a side by side comparison of my iliad and prs-505 at display in Borders, though I can certainly feel that 505 improved over 500, but the screen isn't as white as iliad, and I can't tell the difference of the contrast. But the text of similar size on iliad is definitely more readable.
alanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac

I got my CyBook today, and i have to say, the iLiads screen looks better.
The Cybooks screen is a bit brighter, but the black of the iLiad is darker and the characters on the screen of the iLiad are sharper than the characters on the CyBook.

I will try to do a more inpdepth comparison of the two when i got the time.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
PhilT
Enthusiast
PhilT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Even though you've had the iLiad longer?!

It's what I like to hear! My iLiad is arriving tomorrow. I'm just a bit excited! (Even though I'm 30+!)
PhilT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac

The iLiad i am comparing it to is one of the first V2 iLiads. So it is a couple of months old, and the screens of the brand new ones are a tiny bit brighter.

What really mazed me, is how sharp the iLiads letters look. And how continuously black the black is. The CyBook display has speckles of dark in the white and the other way around. I hardly notice that on the iLiad. Its strongly noticeable in the status bar of the CyBook. Now i do not know, if i maybe got a faulty CyBook, but i am guessing not.

The software of the CyBook on te other hand has lots of features i wish the iLiad had. And i like its weight and battery runtime. I miss buttons at either side of the CyBook to conveniently flip pages while reading with one hand. The iLiads flipbar has really grown on to me. And the button of the CyBook is too small, i accidentally hit the confirm button alot. And while holding the CyBook i often press one of the side buttons. Thats as annoying as hitting one of the iLiads category buttons on accident.

I have to get a good camera and see if i can get the speckles show up on an image.