Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #61
Skeeve
Zealot
Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1 no touch
Okay. Understood.

Now I'm fighting with cmake. I cannot get the freetype2 directory included

Do you, by any chance, know how to set up a cmake file for sh_ivtool?

Mine currently looks like this:

Code:
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.7)

# set the project name
project(sh_ivtool)

include(/SDK_6.3.0/SDK-B288/share/cmake/arm_conf.cmake)
list(APPEND PB_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES "${FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS}")

# add the executable
add_executable(sh_ivtool.app main.c)
Skeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #62
Skeeve
Zealot
Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems I got it.
Code:
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.7)

# set the project name
project(sh_ivtool)

# add the executable
add_executable(sh_ivtool.app main.c)

include(/SDK_6.3.0/SDK-B288/share/cmake/arm_conf.cmake)
link_directories("${PB_LINK_DIRECTORIES}")

target_include_directories(sh_ivtool.app PUBLIC "${FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS}")
target_link_libraries(sh_ivtool.app inkview)
To compile then:
Code:
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
cmake --build .
Old 10-17-2021, 04:02 PM   #63
Skeeve
Zealot

Tested the file selection and it does something, but seems to hang.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #64
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'll try building for fwv6 and testing on my PB633 later tonight. I don't think I've actually tried sh_ivtool in quite a few years. It's sunny outside for a change, and I have to work on my shed in the backyard, so I'll let you know how it goes late tonight or maybe tomorrow sometime.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:31 AM   #65
Skeeve
Zealot

Take your time.

BTW: Is there a github repo for it? Otherwise I'd create one, but if so, I'd loke to fork it.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #66
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I haven't made a public repo. Feel free to fork it if you like, just remember that it is released under the GPL .

I tried it out on my PB633, and it looks like the problem is that the application does not automatically get the focus of the UI. If you run it, and then bring up the Task Manager, you will see the application in the list. Selecting it in the Task Manager will bring the dialog up on the screen. That is not ideal behaviour, so I'll look around to see if that can be fixed. Otherwise, the application seems to run correctly based on my quick tests.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #67
rkomar
Wizard

I modified the source code to explicitly set the application as the Active Task and it now automatically displays on all of my devices. I updated the application's home page with the latest source code and applications for all of the various firmware versions. See the first post for a link to the homepage. People with older firmware versions (4 and earlier) do not need to update because there is no added functionality. The new version is mainly for people with new devices.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:01 PM   #68
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I'm having problems with sh_ivtool and epub_edit on my PB632 (HD3).

pi.app works when launching it directly.

I'm able to click/hold on an epub in the library, select "edit_epub.app" which I've confirmed unzips the epub to /tmp

I get all the message boxes and text input boxes from sh_ivtool, but I never get a list of files showing on screen, whether I enter an extension or leave blank.

I see the message: "Select file(s) to edit, or click Back button to exit selection"
But the only button is: CLOSE

If I proceed I get the prompt to enter a new name or discard etc. If I choose a new name a new epub is created correctly.

I've tried all the sh_ivtool variants (360+, fwv5 and fwv6) and get the same issue with each.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:39 PM   #69
rkomar
Wizard

sh_ivtool uses the OpenContents() InkView API function to display the lists of files. PocketBook recently ripped that function out of the library, so no programs that use it will work properly anymore. They haven't provided a replacement as far as I know, so there isn't anything I can do about it.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:11 PM   #70
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
sh_ivtool uses the OpenContents() InkView API function to display the lists of files. PocketBook recently ripped that function out of the library, so no programs that use it will work properly anymore. They haven't provided a replacement as far as I know, so there isn't anything I can do about it.
Ah, I see. That's a shame. Thanks for the swift reply though.

For anyone interested I've written a rather clumsy workaround to the "edit-epub.app" using the pi text editor to list and select the files to be edited. The section of code I've changed is shown below and the full code attached as a text file.

Code:
# Edit whatever files are chosen
$SH_IVTOOL -s "Add a . character to the end of the file(s) you wish to edit, then save and quit"
if [ "$EXT" == "" ]; then EXT=""; elif [ "${EXT:0:1}" != "." ]; then EXT=".${EXT}"; fi
for f in `find "./" -iname "*${EXT}" -type f -print`; do echo "${f:1}" >> "edit_epub.txt"; done
if [ -e "edit_epub.txt" ]; then $PI "${TMPDIR}/edit_epub.txt"; fi
for f in `grep '[.]$' "edit_epub.txt"`; do echo "${f%.}" >> "edit_epub2.txt"; done
if [ -e "edit_epub2.txt" ]; then
  lines=$(cat "edit_epub2.txt"); for line in $lines; do $PI "${TMPDIR}${line}"; done
else
  $SH_IVTOOL -s "No changes made.  Deleting temporary files."
  exit -1
fi
if [ -e edit_epub.txt -o -e edit_epub2.txt ]; then rm edit_epub*; fi
Attached Files
File Type: txt edit-epub.txt (2.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #71
neil_swann80

@rkomar

I'm having a strange issue with pbdownload in a script.

I'm trying to use it to download images via openlibrary.org but keep getting errors.

example:
https://covers.openlibrary.org/b/isb...19901921-L.jpg

I get a "couldn't connect to the server url..." error when I run my script BUT if I don't close the error and switch to the gallery the image has actually downloaded. If I return to the error and close it it deletes the downloaded image (I'm assuming as part of a clean-up process related to the error). Ending the process rather than closing the error message preserves the saved image.

I've been able to download images from Amazon using the same code without getting the error, so seems to be related to openlibrary.org specifically.

Any idea as to what may be causing the issue? Is there by chance a parameter to suppress error messages and file deletion/tidying when running pbdownload?
Old 04-04-2023, 01:50 AM   #72
rkomar
Wizard

Man, it's been over ten years since I even looked at that code. As you suspected, the download is wiped at shutdown if an error was detected. There isn't any parameter to change that behaviour. However, the source code is available on the website, so you can look at it and see what is going on. Unfortunately, I don't even remember writing the code, so I can't make any suggestions on what to change off the top of my head. Perhaps you can try using a longer timeout via the "-t" option to see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:45 AM   #73
neil_swann80

Thanks again for the advice, I'll definitely have a go at changing the source and recompiling at some point. Would you say it's easier to do withing a linux environment or is Visual Studio on windows fine?

For the moment I'm forcing pbdownload into the background so I don't see the message boxes then killing the process after a wait. It's sufficient for the interim... lazy I know!
Old 04-10-2023, 06:54 PM   #74
rkomar
Wizard

The Makefile for building the sources depends on an ancient SDK that is no longer available. I've been hacking the official SDKs ever since to fit within the old make system, since I much prefer it to the newer cmake based system, but I don't expect anyone else to go to such lengths. Long story short, if you want to build the code yourself, you will have to produce cmake files for it to work with the SDK you download from PocketBook. That's probably very easy for someone familiar with cmake, but it is a chore for someone like me who always stuck with make.

I believe that you would need a 64-bit linux environment to use the PocketBook SDK. I don't see any Windows executables in the compiler toolchain that they provide. I'm sure that installing something like 64-bit ubuntu into a VirtualBox image would work fine if you have to work from a Windows machine.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:46 AM   #75
neil_swann80

The latest firmware on my HD3 causes an issue with sh_ivtool for keyboard input capture.

I now get the string "latinime: Loading /ebrmain/share/latinime//EN.dict " before whatever I enter.

As a workaround I've just been cropping the first 51 characters from the variable.

Code:
f=`$sh_ivtool -t "Enter your string"`
f=${f:51}