Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Adding duplicates

Is there a way to change the preferences so that books with the same title but different authors are not flagged as duplicates/already in library when you import books? 'Short Fiction' by Ray Bradbury is not the same book as 'Short Fiction' by Fritz Leiber despite both having the same title...

If not, can some functionality be added to refine this?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Adding Actions say it is supposed to look at 3 criteria
Title, Author, Language

Does the book actually get blocked from Adding? Or is that jut an advisory warning?

Is the 3 attributes IN the books metadata (You can not be using the filename mode Add because there would not be all 3 criteria to tie break)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:23 AM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's the warning that comes up when you add books to the library. It's annoying - I have several books from standardebooks entitled 'Short Fiction' by different authors and they all come up in the list when I try adding a new one.

I should add that I am on v3.48 for Mac as I am still running a 32-bit OS.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Turn off checking for duplicates in Preferences->Adding
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:20 AM   #5
maddz
Wizard

Yes, I know, but that's not the point. I want to know if I'm about to add another copy of the same title and/or ISBN and/or ASIN by the same author, but I don't want to see false positives where a book happens to share the same title as another book by a different author.

The logic I'm trying to get at is:

If new author = existing author, then if new ISBN = existing ISBN or new ASIN = existing ASIN or new title = existing title, then duplicate else not duplicate

The reason for the ASIN check is ratty Amazon data - specifically titles with included series/blurbs which get cleaned up in my metadata. Unfortunately, I've noticed that lately Amazon is not including ISBNs in ebook metadata which is a pain. The number of time I've added multiple copies of an Amazon purchase...
Old 09-21-2021, 04:46 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Doing that kind of check if waaay to computationally intensive it scales with the number of books in the library, and is thus not suitable to run when adding books. For sophisticated duplicate finding, use the duplicate finder plugin.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote