Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Fire is Updating

Just saw on the Amazon discussion that several people have had the Fire automatically update this afternoon. No word on forcing it yet. Update is 6.2.1 I believe. Changes so far noticed are books can be removed from Carousel, smoother glide, a "Restrictions" row added to settings.

ETA Tried to delete, but no go

Last edited by deannah; 12-19-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: To Delete
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Hmm I checked mine and nothing yet. I heard from someone that spoke to Amazon that the update was coming tomorrow, would be nice to have it earlier though.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
I've gotten an update on my daughter's, but not on mine yet.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still waiting on my update too. A user on here posted the update if you want to sideload it so you can have it now. I may do that shortly.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
The way I've found that works for Kindle Fire updates is to plug it in, make sure it's above a 50% charge, hit sync, then once the icon stops spinning turn it off and set it aside for about 10 minutes. Pick it back up and it should be updated.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
The way I've found that works for Kindle Fire updates is to plug it in, make sure it's above a 50% charge, hit sync, then once the icon stops spinning turn it off and set it aside for about 10 minutes. Pick it back up and it should be updated.

Thanks! I'm going to try that now.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
bubblehead
bubblehead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Seems to me that the "Update your Kindle" button found at "Device" in the options folder would be the logical place to update your Kindle.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
Seems to me that the "Update your Kindle" button found at "Device" in the options folder would be the logical place to update your Kindle.
Apparently that only works once the Fire realizes that an update is available. I've still not gotten the update even though I left WiFi on since ysterday and have pressed Sync dozens of times. My Fire's Update your Kindle button is still greyed out.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm still waiting on my update too. A user on here posted the update if you want to sideload it so you can have it now. I may do that shortly.
Do you have a link? I couldn't find the post with it.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post

It sure would, but it isn't. I can't believe the poor job Amazon has done with letting users know whether their Fire is updating or not. No progress bar, nothing, other than the fact that the System Version is greyed out. My son's Fire has been like this for an entire day and still reads 6.2 and not 6.2.1. I have tried sync which worked when updating from 6.1 to 6.2, but this doesn't seem to be working for this update. I even did a complete power down and restart and no joy.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
It sure would, but it isn't. I can't believe the poor job Amazon has done with letting users know whether their Fire is updating or not. No progress bar, nothing, other than the fact that the System Version is greyed out. My son's Fire has been like this for an entire day and still reads 6.2 and not 6.2.1. I have tried sync which worked when updating from 6.1 to 6.2, but this doesn't seem to be working for this update. I even did a complete power down and restart and no joy.
I've done several of those too with no luck.

I guess it really doesn't matter as this seems to be a minor update that doesn't solve the Carousel issue for me. Big woop that it allows us to delete items from the carousel when the damn Carousel still takes up half the screen in portrait view and most of the screen in landscape view. I want that damn Carousel gone. I'm not sure why Amazon refuses to allow us the option to make it disappear.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've done several of those too with no luck.

... I want that damn Carousel gone. I'm not sure why Amazon refuses to allow us the option to make it disappear.
It's not really a "Recent Items" list anymore if you can delete stuff from it. So just make it optional or configurable. I hope they're working on this. Maybe the delete thing was a quick fix because of complaints. If the Favorites shelves wasn't directly beneath it, I'd feel differently. But the way it is now, it's redundant at times and overkill. Or keep the Carousel and make it "pop out" (expand) at will.

Last edited by SCION; 12-20-2011 at 10:11 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I don't like the Carousel myself. No update here
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
bubblehead
bubblehead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Perhaps the "update your Kindle" button is grayed out is because the update has not been sent. It will probably work when the update has been sent to your specific Fire. The word was that the update would be sent before Christmas and there are still a few days left.
Maybe we should be patient.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
How big is this update? I can only download 200 mb's per day.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote