Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #781
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Does anyone know whether KSM works on Kobo Aura One (7.8"), so that we can install Koreader and CoolReader? And, most importantly, where exactly I am supposed to drill the back cover to gain access to the built-in flash (I hope it is a micro sd, just like on all other Kobo models) to replace it with a 256GB one (obviously the built-in 8GB is of no use, as it can't hold even 10% of my e-library).
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #782
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't think the KA1 has a replaceable flash memory, internal or external.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2017, 03:54 AM   #783
Gerleu
Gerleu began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3/740
Hello everyone,

After installation of the last available KSM and KORreader (thank you for these great softwares) and the patch for my totally new Aura One to increase the font size of the menu, I have two small remaining problems:

1) Despite the implemented change in the General configuration to start by default KSM with the front light on at the maximum level, the front light seems inoperative, including if I tap Front light on.

2) When I start using the second reboot, the six icons included in the kbmenupngs folders are displayed in my library and under "Unknown Writer", but I don't see them anywere in a menu to be able to use them as shortcuts for accessing the different functions.

Please could you help me on those two issues above ?

Thanks in advance for your appreciated time and greetings,
Gerleu
Gerleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #784
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerleu View Post
Hello everyone,

After installation of the last available KSM and KORreader (thank you for these great softwares) and the patch for my totally new Aura One to increase the font size of the menu, I have two small remaining problems:

1) Despite the implemented change in the General configuration to start by default KSM with the front light on at the maximum level, the front light seems inoperative, including if I tap Front light on.

2) When I start using the second reboot, the six icons included in the kbmenupngs folders are displayed in my library and under "Unknown Writer", but I don't see them anywere in a menu to be able to use them as shortcuts for accessing the different functions.

Please could you help me on those two issues above ?

Thanks in advance for your appreciated time and greetings,
Gerleu
To point 2): The icons do only work when nickel is started via the KSM menu. "exit to Koreader" (or similar) works only when you started nickel via "nickel koreader loop/switch" or "Koreader nickel loop/switch"
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:19 AM   #785
Gerleu

Thank you tshering for your explanation !
Actually the "kbmenupngs" folder is in the root directory and now I've set KSM to start always. Then if I tap on "start nikel" in KSM and then I tap on "switchtokoreader", I simply return in KSM instead of displaying the file browser with all files readable by the KOReader...

About the point 1 (frontlight) the value was unsufficient to notice the subtle difference between on and off: increasing it to the max value of 39 was fixing my problem.

Please what is the easiest way to return in the file browser while I'm reading a book ?

Last but not least, I don't understand which files or directories should be put in the ".adds" directory instead of the root one !

Last edited by Gerleu; 09-26-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Missing question
Advert
Old 09-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #786
sneakyfox
sneakyfox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader
Has anyone tried if Start Menu works on version 4.5.9587?

I am running it on an Aura H20.

Thanks.

Last edited by sneakyfox; 09-27-2017 at 10:02 AM.
sneakyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:22 AM   #787
Gerleu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyfox View Post
Has anyone tried if Start Menu works on version 4.5.9587?

I am running it on an Aura H20.

Thanks.
KSM works perfectly on my Aura One with the 4.5.9587 version !
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #788
sneakyfox
sneakyfox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader
Thank you, that is good to know!
sneakyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #789
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually the "kbmenupngs" folder is in the root directory and now I've set KSM to start always.
This is fine.

Quote:
Then if I tap on "start nikel" in KSM and then I tap on "switchtokoreader", I simply return in KSM instead of displaying the file browser with all files readable by the KOReader...
This is the expected behaviour, when you start nickel by selecting "start nickel."

Try the following:
  • select "koreader additions" > "start nickel koreader switch"
  • if you now open "switchtokoreader," nickel will be closed and koreader will be started. When you exit koreader, nickel will be started again and so forth.

Quote:
About the point 1 (frontlight) the value was unsufficient to notice the subtle difference between on and off: increasing it to the max value of 39 was fixing my problem.
When I set the value to 4, I can use my Glo as a torch and walk through my house in the dark of the night. So there seem to be rather big differences between the devices.

Quote:
Please what is the easiest way to return in the file browser while I'm reading a book ?
Do you mean, that you want to read a book in nickel and then go directly to koreader? If this is what you mean, try "koreader additions" > "start nickel koreader switch", as I said above.

Quote:
Last but not least, I don't understand which files or directories should be put in the ".adds" directory instead of the root one !
It is the folder "koreader" and the folder "vlasovsoft."
Old 09-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #790
Gerleu

Thank you again tshering, all things are clearer now !
Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #791
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

In the past I always edited usersettings.txt file to set ksmAutoselectafter=-1 to disable the "auto boot into nickel if nothing happened in 20 seconds" feature. Now I see this option is mentioned in the file confoptions/ksm_ini_options.txt but this file is probably just a help text, because it contains lines like

useMultiplefonts=true
useMultiplefonts=false

which obviously makes no sense whatsoever (why set a variable to "true" and then immediately set it to "false").

So, I assumed that I need to set it in the file runsettings.txt but this does not work either.

Therefore, please tell me how to disable this annoying feature. I have 7-8 devices and sometimes I boot them all into KSM simultaneously and I don't want to have to touch every single device to prevent this auto-boot into nickel.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #792
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
which obviously makes no sense whatsoever (why set a variable to "true" and then immediately set it to "false").
I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. It's the same as something like this after all.

Code:
useMultiplefonts=false
#useMultiplefronts=true
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #793
tigran
Zealot

Well, no programmer would ever write code "x=5; x=6;" that was my point.

Btw, it occurred to me that maybe I should just put the line:

ksmAutoselectafter=-1

in the same file as before, i.e. in usersettings.txt. However, this did not work either. It stills starts nickel after 20 seconds. So, I guess I need to grep the whole tree for ksmAutoselectafter and see where it is used and how to disable it...

UPDATE: Yes, it is in the root filesystem in the file /adds/kbmenu/ksm_ini and editing it solved the problem. But it is quite strange that this setting has been moved away from /mnt/onboard to /.

Last edited by tigran; 10-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #794
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
In the past I always edited usersettings.txt file to set ksmAutoselectafter=-1 to disable the "auto boot into nickel if nothing happened in 20 seconds" feature. Now I see this option is mentioned in the file confoptions/ksm_ini_options.txt but this file is probably just a help text, because it contains lines like

useMultiplefonts=true
useMultiplefonts=false

So, I assumed that I need to set it in the file runsettings.txt but this does not work either.

Therefore, please tell me how to disable this annoying feature. I have 7-8 devices and sometimes I boot them all into KSM simultaneously and I don't want to have to touch every single device to prevent this auto-boot into nickel.
Your guess is correct. confoptions/ksm_ini_options.txt is not a configuration file. This file contains the options that the user is presented with, when he uses KSM "configure" (of the KSM main menu). For instance, for the key "useMultiplefonts" you will be offered to choose between the values "true" and "false." For the key "kobomenuFontsize" you are offered the possible values 35,45,55. If you want to have more options you can edit confoptions/ksm_ini_options.txt. For "ksmAutoselectafter", there is only one option offered, namely 20. If you want to have other values to select from edit confoptions/ksm_ini_options.txt like this:

Code:
ksmAutoselectafter=-1
ksmAutoselectafter=5
ksmAutoselectafter=10
ksmAutoselectafter=20
ksmAutoselectafter=30
The real configuration file is on the system partition. This is to allow KSM to access the configuration data also when the user partition is unmounted.

So please use the menu item "configure." If you prefer you can edit the configuration file directly. Its location is adds/kbmenu/ksm_ini. But I see no reason to do this.

See also this post, which is for KSM 7, but still gives the general idea.

Last edited by tshering; 10-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #795
tigran
Zealot

Thank you, tshering. Everything makes perfect sense to me now.