Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 12:10 AM   #736
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
pbchess drivers for H20 edition 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelirenn View Post
Thanks tshering, we will track progress of the drivers

Don't hold your breath; as you can see that thread has no activity on it for a while after my last comment. I bought the Kobo because I wanted to use koreader but I think it was a mistake.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 AM   #737
Zekathon
Zekathon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
@Ttshering, today i made random discovery regarding the poff image problem... i updated KOreader after very long time and found out, it has Power Off button, after pressing, it turned off my Aura One and displayed Full res. 900 kb image, i tried to press the button, to turn the reader on to be sure it is not sleeping and nothing happened so it really turned off. So KOreader is capable of displaying the image, but KSM not. I have also noticed, that it took a lot longer for the device to turn the back light off when turned off by KOreader. So it could be, that the KSM turns off just too fast.
Zekathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 AM   #738
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekathon View Post
So it could be, that the KSM turns off just too fast.
This is definitely the case, if you want to display an image with decent resolution. Two weeks ago or so, when there was a discussion about this topic on this threat, I did some testing.
Currently KSM allows the kbmessage application (with is part of KSM) 0.4 seconds to be loaded and display the power off hml. This time is sufficient for displaying text only htmls or htmls with small or small resolution images. For better quality full screen images the time allowed is to short. Displaying a full screen image on the Kobo Touch, with the optimal size of 800x600 px, it takes around 0.8 seconds. I will make the power off time configurable with the next smaller update/patch package.

Last edited by tshering; 07-31-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: corrected "8.0 seconds" to "0.8 seconds"
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #739
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
This may be an example of where the older firmware works better. My AuraHDs are on 3.0 firmware and are not affected by many issues that are reported after the "release" of the 4.0 firmwares. This may be of no help to A1 and H2O Ed2 users, as their devices may not be able to use earlier firmware.

As I mentioned earlier, my Poweroff.png is 1040x1387, and works fine in both KSM7.4 and KOReader v2015.11-1084.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #740
Zekathon
Zekathon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
Don't hold your breath; as you can see that thread has no activity on it for a while after my last comment. I bought the Kobo because I wanted to use koreader but I think it was a mistake.
I have Aura One and KOReader works very well, can't complain about it, except non-English wiki doesn't work for me, but that is just a small flaw. Definitely better then the original reader for PDFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This is definitely the case, if you want to display an image with decent resolution. Two weeks ago or so, when there was a discussion about this topic on this threat, I did some testing.
Currently KSM allows the kbmessage application (with is part of KSM) 0.4 seconds to be loaded and display the power off hml. This time is sufficient for displaying text only htmls or htmls with small or small resolution images. For better quality full screen images the time allowed is to short. Displaying a full screen image on the Kobo Touch, with the optimal size of 800x600 px, it takes around 0.8 seconds. I will make the power off time configurable with the next smaller update/patch package.
Yeah I was initiator of this discussion, looking forward to the patch, thank you
Zekathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:37 PM   #741
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
I, also, stay on 3.x firmware because I dislike almost all changes in 4.x so I can't help with testing. Again, I only have an original H2O and major problems are with KA1 and H2O2.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #742
itwtx
itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Aura HD, Aura One, PRS650
I would like to report a pretty serious bug.

When one tries to enable a usbnet connection with usbnet_toggle.sh script, the script checks if a dropbear process is running. If it does, the script assumes that the usbnet is up. It proceeds with killing the process and exiting.

Such a logic is only valid if the dropbear process is launched by usbnet_toggle itself, from a pbchess package. If dropbear is installed in some other way (for instance, via kobo-aura-remote or kobo-ssh), such a logic results in a dead ssh server when usbnet is up.

The problem can be easily fixed by making a condition in usbnet_toggle.sh
if [ -f /var/run/dropbear.pid ]
more restrictive. For instance
if [ -f /var/run/dropbear.pid ] && [ "$useDropbear" == "true" ] && [ -d "$vlasovsoft_usbnet" ]
itwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:56 AM   #743
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwtx View Post
The problem can be easily fixed by making a condition in usbnet_toggle.sh
if [ -f /var/run/dropbear.pid ]
more restrictive. For instance
if [ -f /var/run/dropbear.pid ] && [ "$useDropbear" == "true" ] && [ -d "$vlasovsoft_usbnet" ]
Thank you for the contribution. I will include it in the next update/patch.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #744
itwtx
itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.itwtx got an A in P-Chem.

I would like to also suggest a simple improvement.

While debugging an issue I reported earlier, I gave a try to kbterminal.
I discovered that it does not support basic shell features, such as stream redirection.

My guess would be (since I don't have access to the source code, I can only guess), this happens because the program just splits the input string and calls one of the exec functions on it.
A simple improvement to functionality would be to call "/bin/sh -c" and pass an input string as an argument to it. This way, shell itself will parse the string and launch/redirect everything.

To illustrate (using python), if now the code looks something like
cmd_args = cmd_string.split()
os.execvp(cmd_args[0], cmd_args)
I propose to replace it with
os.execv('/bin/sh', ['sh', '-c', cmd_string])
Old 08-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #745
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwtx View Post
I would like to also suggest a simple improvement.

While debugging an issue I reported earlier, I gave a try to kbterminal.
I discovered that it does not support basic shell features, such as stream redirection.

My guess would be (since I don't have access to the source code, I can only guess), this happens because the program just splits the input string and calls one of the exec functions on it.
A simple improvement to functionality would be to call "/bin/sh -c" and pass an input string as an argument to it. This way, shell itself will parse the string and launch/redirect everything.

To illustrate (using python), if now the code looks something like
cmd_args = cmd_string.split()
os.execvp(cmd_args[0], cmd_args)
I propose to replace it with
os.execv('/bin/sh', ['sh', '-c', cmd_string])
Did you try to switch to "file mode" (I cannot remember whether this is the actual name. I did not see kbterminal myself for a long time. I think it is the leftmost button.)? With "file mode" selected, cmd_string is written to a file, and the file executed. Does this work for your needs?

Last edited by tshering; 08-04-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #746
Aelirenn
Bookworm
Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, KA1, KAH2O, Voyage, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
Yup, my face got blue and I had to take a breath

I bought it for my husband (his H2O broke one month after warranty expiration ), he is used to KOReader and refuses to use H2O2 with vanilla software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekathon View Post
I have Aura One and KOReader works very well, can't complain about it, except non-English wiki doesn't work for me, but that is just a small flaw. Definitely better then the original reader for PDFs

Yeah I was initiator of this discussion, looking forward to the patch, thank you

I would swap my KA1 with husbands H2O2 but I love bigger screen and will not do it, just because he is a spoiled brat
Aelirenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #747
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Yup, my face got blue and I had to take a breath

I bought it for my husband (his H2O broke one month after warranty expiration ), he is used to KOReader and refuses to use H2O2 with vanilla software

I would swap my KA1 with husbands H2O2 but I love bigger screen and will not do it, just because he is a spoiled brat
I do not know whether anybody tried KOReader on H2O2. If KOReader does work, one could configure KSM to start with a KOReader/Nickel loop (KOReader for reading, and nickel for usb connection, or for some emergency case).
Old 08-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #748
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
KOReader
Try to run the program using KFMon

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274231
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #749
itwtx

Quote:
Did you try to switch to "file mode" ... Does this work for your needs?
Yes, it does. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #750
stats
stats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enough

Device: sony pr505
Quote:
Either no KSM user installed 4.5.9587, or nobody cares answering this question.
It seems to work fine! I installed KSM 8 to my new H2O last night. I'm new to this, so I may not notice a problem.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
stats is offline   Reply With Quote