Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
qwert
qwert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thinking of buying a Forma, question about screen cast

Have a Kobo h20 edition 1 and recently tried out an Onyx Note Pro. Was trying to choose between the Forma and the Note Pro, but thought if I can size up to 8, might as well go up to 10.3 and besides Note doesn't have a PWM problem.

I didn't expect the reading anything less than 300 ppi to be such a big issue, and the screen is so, so gray. Other than the flushed glass front for Note Pro, I believe they are both Carta. Both frontlights off, the kobo is so much whiter than the Onyx. My default usage mode is frontlights off, so I'm thinking about getting the Forma if the screen is at least as white as the H20 with the lights off. Does anyone have both and know how they compare?

Another poster mentioned that they all (Forma, Oasis, Note) have that blue-gray, dingey cast. The best way I can describe it is the Kobo is a more neutral grayish white while the Note Pro is more blue-gray-white.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:47 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Have a Kobo h20 edition 1
Quote:
Another poster mentioned that they all (Forma, Oasis, Note) have that blue-gray, dingey cast. The best way I can describe it is the Kobo is a more neutral grayish white while the Note Pro is more blue-gray-white.
The first edition H2O has IR touch, so its screen should be a bit whiter than that of the Forma, Oasis etc. which all have an additional capacitive touch layer.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My H2O original is the brightest of all my ereaders.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The first edition H2O has IR touch, so its screen should be a bit whiter than that of the Forma, Oasis etc. which all have an additional capacitive touch layer.
Thanks for the explanation. As far as product descriptions go, all of the current new ereaders on the market seem to have capacitative layer. Do you know if there any larger ereaders that don't? I hadn't realized I need to treat my ereader with kid gloves.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
My H2O original is the brightest of all my ereaders.
Without compare? I will be treating it with kid gloves from now on.
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Capacitive layer or not, I still consider the Forma miles ahead of the H2O in pretty much every respect.

But my usage scenario is to *never* have the light off, so, YMMV.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Without compare? I will be treating it with kid gloves from now on.
Yes do, they don't make them now. I got a sleep cover for about £10 off Amazon and I don't leave it on a chair or the middle of the quilt.

I did have a PW2 (gave away), DXG (gave away) and iRiver Cover Story (screen cracked). I have a Kindle Keyboard and PW3, Nook Touch, Kobo N905C (worst for ghosts of previous image), a Sony PSR350, a Sony PRS-T1. A friend has a PW4, it's greyer than PW3.

Also the H2O original is same number of dots as 6" 300dpi PW3, but stretched to 6.8" which suits older eyes!. Also SD card slot.

I have variety so I can test my own books' formatting and also loan my own books to people (proof readers/beta readers/ARC etc) with no ereader. A set would cost about $300+ inc shipping to print for someone and take up a shelf.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 AM   #8
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
to *never* have the light off, so, YMMV.
everyone does that

lights off means nothing
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote