Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Kindle DX browser choked

I have a Kindle DXG. It has been updated and is registered with Amazon. I can still buy books over 3G, but I can no longer connect to sites I used for years while I was in the mountains without the internet. I used to check the weather and Gmail with ease. Now I get that "Basic Web is unable to make a secure connection at this time message except for Shop in Amazon store! I have spent a couple of extended sessions with Kindle customer support, and they insist it is because Amazon has not updated the software for DX. Really? Yet I have no trouble using the browser to visit Amazon. I have a Windows 98 computer that still connects to the internet! Newer Kindles are sold with restricted browsers, but my Kindle Keyboard connects over the same Telus 3G as the DX, and it goes to simple sites with the Basic Browser. I don't think anything has been done to basic 3G internet that would require me to have some mysterious Amazon update that has not been made. I'm just saying, that sounds like BS to me!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Lots of chatter on the Kindle forum about issues with the 3G connection on the 2nd gen Kindles. Some is because of Sprint dropping support for 3G, but there is something else going on with those 2nd gen devices. You have the AT&T model in any case.

I just traded in my old K2, and after resetting it to factory specs, it still showed on my account at Content & Devices. I wasn't able to deregister it there either, it took a chat with CS to remove it from my account. I assumed this was due to the same issue others are having with those models.

Adding...Amazon never did intent to provide open browsing on those models. It still works to connect to their store, all they intended it to do anyway.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree, Deskisamess. It was even called "experimental". I was very clear with the Amazon customer service guy I chatted with. I wanted to know if Amazon had turned off open browsing or is there was some kind of fix. Those poor guys certainly don't know. He asked several times if I was speaking of a tablet -- a Kindle Fire. The guy was probably in grade school when they were released!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
- - -
The guy was probably in grade school when they were released!
If they can't say what an Analog Computer is, ask to speak to their supervisor.

I know Sprint (Amazon's original contract 3G provider) was among the first to announce EoL of 3G on their network.
But I had not realized they where starting to decommission parts of the network already.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #5
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
I have a Kindle DXG. It has been updated and is registered with Amazon. I can still buy books over 3G, but I can no longer connect to sites I used for years while I was in the mountains without the internet. I used to check the weather and Gmail with ease. Now I get that "Basic Web is unable to make a secure connection at this time message except for Shop in Amazon store! I have spent a couple of extended sessions with Kindle customer support, and they insist it is because Amazon has not updated the software for DX. Really? Yet I have no trouble using the browser to visit Amazon. I have a Windows 98 computer that still connects to the internet! Newer Kindles are sold with restricted browsers, but my Kindle Keyboard connects over the same Telus 3G as the DX, and it goes to simple sites with the Basic Browser. I don't think anything has been done to basic 3G internet that would require me to have some mysterious Amazon update that has not been made. I'm just saying, that sounds like BS to me!
I agree with others that the experimental browser is experimental without a guarantee it will work. You are lucky that you can still buy books from the Kindle Store. That does not happen to others who factory reset their Kindle Gen 2. My Kindle DX lost its certificate after factory reset even after I install the latest service update. Now, we are a sideloading from USB.

Amazon seemed so stubborn to fix this as ";dm" debug file indicated something wrong with their server as it does not return the certificate file to a factory reset Kindle Gen 2.

I am in searching for how to patch this. Whether the certificate file asked from Amazon server is generic or it is customised for each Kindle. If it is generic, then probably by finding a working Kindle DX with a certificate and copy that to the exact directory probably will fix it. If it is non-generic, then only Amazon could fix it and I doubt it because Gen 1-3 unofficially EoL.

BTW, can you root your Kindle and see what is inside these directories?
Quote:
/var/local/java/prefs/acsr
AND
Quote:
/var/local/java/prefs/certs
We that have a factory reset Kindle DX did not found "acsr" folder and folder "certs" did not consist any certificate file.

HINT: You may try unofficial firmware 3.4.2 too, if it will recover the browser access to other websites. Probably the problem is TLS/SSL that is required in modern websites.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-17-2019 at 10:42 AM.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic

I'm a bit embarrassed at my first accusatory post. I now believe that it is not something Amazon has done to limit connection, but about how websites respond to the old browser. I found a few non-Amazon sites that I could access and browse with no problems. "Basic Web is unable to make a secure connection at this time, " seems to be the truth!

Sorry, Amazon!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
So, poor slobs sitting in Siberia with only telnet can't surf the web anymore with
telnet host 80
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
I'm a bit embarrassed at my first accusatory post. I now believe that it is not something Amazon has done to limit connection, but about how websites respond to the old browser. I found a few non-Amazon sites that I could access and browse with no problems. "Basic Web is unable to make a secure connection at this time, " seems to be the truth!

Sorry, Amazon!
No problem mate! Our device is a decade old. These breed of young low tier Amazon CS might even do not know what Kindle DX is. We should expect this. About the basic web, I found many "https" websites are now no longer accessible and some "http" websites start to behaviour odds. So definitely the experimental browser is now outdated. These websites have upgraded their security protocol or certificate what so ever. Even with the browser in firmware 3.4.2, gmail and yahoo mail are troublesome. Luckily, www.gutenberg.org is still up and running through the browser. Nice job Amazon!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKuns View Post
- - - - -

HINT: You may try unofficial firmware 3.4.2 too, if it will recover the browser access to other websites. Probably the problem is TLS/SSL that is required in modern websites.
No, just re-install the image named version 2.5.8 as found on Amazon.

When TLS/SSL update was released, it was a separate download.
After some number of months, Amazon took down those packages and just added them into fw 2.5.8 -- here is the fun part: They did not change the version number.

I.E: What is posted now as 2.5.8 is not what it once was.
Those who are missing the TLS/SSL fix (or parts of it) should just "re-install" 2.5.8 using the Amazon packages now posted.
That is Amazon's unannounced "hotfix" for 2.5.8
Old 05-25-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No, just re-install the image named version 2.5.8 as found on Amazon.

When TLS/SSL update was released, it was a separate download.
After some number of months, Amazon took down those packages and just added them into fw 2.5.8 -- here is the fun part: They did not change the version number.

I.E: What is posted now as 2.5.8 is not what it once was.
Those who are missing the TLS/SSL fix (or parts of it) should just "re-install" 2.5.8 using the Amazon packages now posted.
That is Amazon's unannounced "hotfix" for 2.5.8
When did they change that, knc1? This is interesting. Well may be actually they were able to add .pdf annotation to 2.5.8 but they wouldn't. This is the only lack of firmware 2.5.8 for my needs.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKuns View Post
When did they change that, knc1?

- - - - - -
After the March deadline for users of the affected Kindle models.
I can only think of two possible ways to narrow that down:
*) Search this forum. There was a bunch of conversations here about "where did they go?" and "what should we do about it".
*) Check the "fix" packages pages in the Wayback Machine to see when they changed.

Changing the pdf feature set on discontinued models was a pure cost only activity.
Ensuring that even discontinued models could still connect with the Amazon servers (to make purchases, etc) was protecting a revenue source.

Do you think J. Bezos became the wealthiest person on earth by leaving money on the table?