Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
insecure
insecure began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
jb 5.10.3

My thread title is also the question. It is not possible, so it seems, to jb a Kindle with 5.10.3. I also cannot downgrade this. Some website are telling it works with moving the right bin in the root folder and make use of the Kindle update function. But it doesn't work. I guess, the Firmware checks if it < or > than the version I want to install. Too bad.

Can I make it stop sending data around? Whispersync is turned off in the amazon account, but is it really, really off? I also dis-conncected from my account and also disconnected from WLAN. The latter is pre-configured and I need to ask for getting temporarily room for an update. And I don't want to do that (anymore). Therefore it's turned off. But, does it still send data, somehow? (I don't know if it's possible, I guess not, but cannot do harm if I ask)

Let's say i plan to give my Kindle away. Does it have all my books (I read) logged and as soon as it connects to the internet again, will send it to its destination? Don't want to have that feature. Nor do I want others to see the books I read.
insecure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by insecure View Post
My thread title is also the question. It is not possible, so it seems, to jb a Kindle with 5.10.3. I also cannot downgrade this. Some website are telling it works with moving the right bin in the root folder and make use of the Kindle update function. But it doesn't work. I guess, the Firmware checks if it < or > than the version I want to install. Too bad.

Can I make it stop sending data around? Whispersync is turned off in the amazon account, but is it really, really off? I also dis-conncected from my account and also disconnected from WLAN. The latter is pre-configured and I need to ask for getting temporarily room for an update. And I don't want to do that (anymore). Therefore it's turned off. But, does it still send data, somehow? (I don't know if it's possible, I guess not, but cannot do harm if I ask)

Let's say i plan to give my Kindle away. Does it have all my books (I read) logged and as soon as it connects to the internet again, will send it to its destination? Don't want to have that feature. Nor do I want others to see the books I read.
1. No JB yet. Sounds like never.
2. Airplane mode: no data leaves
3. Just deregister and reset kindle remove your presence from the kindle.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

The visible USB storage is Windows/FAT32 file system.
So your books are never actually deleted and the next user can un-delete them with any FAT32 maintenance tool.

If you do not want that to happen, use one of the "Secure Erase" tools you can find, wherever you find Windows file system support.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
insecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
1. No JB yet. Sounds like never.
2. Airplane mode: no data leaves
3. Just deregister and reset kindle remove your presence from the kindle.
1. too bad.
2. done
3. done

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So your books are never actually deleted and the next user can un-delete them with any FAT32 maintenance tool.

If you do not want that to happen, use one of the "Secure Erase" tools you can find, wherever you find Windows file system support.
Using linux, ubuntu

Last edited by insecure; 05-21-2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: other quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

Quote:
Using linux, ubuntu
linux has tools for FAT file systems.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Exactly so.
That is one of the things which I meant by: "wherever you find Windows file system support".
(I and my Kindles agree, Linux is the only system to run. I may have a few Windows licenses, but I would never admit it in public.)
Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Exactly so.
That is one of the things which I meant by: "wherever you find Windows file system support".
(I and my Kindles agree, Linux is the only system to run. I may have a few Windows licenses, but I would never admit it in public.)
I have also and restrict Windows to running in virtualbox on mint to keep it contained for the few Windows programs I am unfortunate enough to have to use.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
insecure

Quote:
do you have some hints for me for tools that cover the aforementioned purpose?

@topic
Since JB isn't available. Is there a workaround for update of the firmware (without direct internet access via Kindle (can I have download update, add them to Kindle via USB and press update kindle in the settings section? To have a PDF tool that works properly? Re-formatting in Kindle-formats makes it worse for 99% of the PDFs.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

have you tried k2pdf? (very first line of index):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/link.php?t=189872
Old 05-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
do you have some hints for me for tools that cover the aforementioned purpose?
If you have to ask that I have to wonder if they would be dangerous in your hands. If you are not careful, you might damage your ubuntu system. Also, by default they will considerably wear out the flash memory on the kindle.

Deleting files only erases their entries in the file system, not the contents and not necessarily the (entire) file names, so simple tools can recover the files.

After file contents are overwritten even once, much more sophisticated tools are needed to recover the data.

The package secure-delete will do what you need, but you don't need the default high security. Use the options to speed things up and spare the wear and tear on the flash memory. (And be careful how you specify what to delete and how to erase the empty space.)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
NRB73
NRB73 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3, PW4
It might be easier to just write random data to it until it's full (like windows .dll files or an encrypted archive of sufficient size), delete it, then write data again, then delete it. To recover your books would be near impossible.

How thick is your foil hat?
NRB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRB73 View Post
It might be easier to just write random data to it until it's full (like windows .dll files or an encrypted archive of sufficient size), delete it, then write data again, then delete it. To recover your books would be near impossible.
That is probably about as good and has less potential for foot shooting.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
insecure

Quote:
have you tried k2pdf? (very first line of index):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/link.php?t=189872
Nope, will do.

Quote:
If you have to ask that I have to wonder if they would be dangerous in your hands. If you are not careful, you might damage your ubuntu system. Also, by default they will considerably wear out the flash memory on the kindle.

Deleting files only erases their entries in the file system, not the contents and not necessarily the (entire) file names, so simple tools can recover the files.

After file contents are overwritten even once, much more sophisticated tools are needed to recover the data.

The package secure-delete will do what you need, but you don't need the default high security. Use the options to speed things up and spare the wear and tear on the flash memory. (And be careful how you specify what to delete and how to erase the empty space.)
Ok, I have this one already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRB73 View Post

How thick is your foil hat?
Doesn't have one, is it a must have to make it work?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Doesn't have one, is it a must have to make it work?
Some protection is advised.
You could "make do" by wearing a stainless steel mixing bowl.
Remember to clean bowl before the person-in-charge discovers this (mis-use).
Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #15
insecure

Quote:
Some protection is advised.
You could "make do" by wearing a stainless steel mixing bowl.
Remember to clean bowl before the person-in-charge discovers this (mis-use).
I'll make sure I do.

Wondering if there is a mad (tin foil) hatter - maybe as a counterpart (for the normal one).