Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #3631
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
They're TV shows, not movies, but have you tried:
The reimagined Battlestar Galactica
The Expanse
Firefly
(and for that matter, the Firefly movie, Serenity).

All indisputably and unarguably awesome on all fronts.
(So don't dispute or argue.)
Battle Star Galactica from a few years back, yes. The original BSG season 1 was okay but I was a teenager, so what did I know 45 years ago! Season 2 was horrible. The newer one from a few years ago wasn't that great. Haven't tried the others. Firefly bit the dirt after one season I think. None of the modern SciFi I've seen seems to be very science oriented nor cerebral IMO. Just a bunch of stupid comic book characters from Marvel, and I didn't even read that stuff way back as a kid in the 1960s.

But we should probably move on to another topic or move this to another thread because we are way off topic for this thread. Like Wodin mentioned, somehow this accidentally wound up in this thread instead of another thread that was more appropriate as it covered topics from way back when.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #3632
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 8+ & iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
That is why I like the older Star Trek series and movies, but not so much the newer stuff. After Roddenberry died the Star Trek enterprise quickly lost its way. (Pun intended!) Now a days nearly all action-adventure and SciFi movies rely on computer graphics and they no longer seem to care about dialog or plot.
Well I was talking strictly about “The Motion Picture", the first of the original cast movies. That movie just spends waaaaaaaay too much time showing things and showing the characters reacting to things, etc. Its slow and monotonous IMO. Usually when I’m going to do a marathon I skip TMP and go straight to Wrath of Kahn.

I would agree that the modern franchise focuses way too much on action, forgetting that Star Trek is supposed to be about people and stories. That’s the main reason I prefer The Orville to Discovery.

As for Roddenberry, I feel he had much the same strengths and weaknesses as George Lucas. Both are wonderful world builders who crafted beloved franchises with the aid of a talented cast and crew. However when either one’s ego got in the way and they stopped listening to said talent (Lucas with the prequels, Roddenberry with TMP and first-season TNG), the product suffered.

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-17-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Dylrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #3633
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600, Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x2)
Quote:
That is why I like the older Star Trek series and movies, but not so much the newer stuff. After Roddenberry died the Star Trek enterprise quickly lost its way. (Pun intended!) Now a days nearly all action-adventure and SciFi movies rely on computer graphics and they no longer seem to care about dialog or plot.
I always thought that was especially the case with Avatar. They spent many millions of dollars on special effects and CGI and, as far as I can tell, about 27 cents on the script and storyline.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #3634
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fire TV Cube on Sale for $69.99

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I see that the Fire TV Cube is currently on sale for $69.99. That is $50 off of normal price. A 42% discount. Not my cup of tea, but if you are interested then check it out.

Dave: "Alexa, please play [something of interest to me].

Alexa: "I'm sorry Dave, I can't find that. Would you like to watch any of these expensive alternatives which have little, if anything, to do with your choice?"

Dave: "[Bleeping censored...]"

Last edited by OtinG; 05-19-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #3635
cc_in_oh
Addict
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I see that the Fire TV Cube is currently on sale for $69.99. That is $50 off of normal price. A 42% discount. Not my cup of tea, but if you are interested then check it out.

Dave: "Alexa, please play [something of interest to me].

Alexa: "I'm sorry Dave, I can't find that. Would you like to watch any of these expensive alternatives which have little, if anything, to do with your choice?"

Dave: "[Bleeping censored...]"
Knowing Amazon, they'll be out of support before "Prime Day" rolls around...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #3636
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Knowing Amazon, they'll be out of support before "Prime Day" rolls around...
The Cube was released 11 months ago on 21 June 2018 in the USA. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a gen 2 coming out soon and are trying to liquidate gen 1 stocks. Knowing Amazon, that would mean gen 2 for same price but reduced specs! My Fire TV is still the best spec-ed of them all, because they have been reducing the specs with each new generation. They did the same with their Fire tablet line too. Current models are cheap junk with lower specs than the typical tablet of 5 years ago. Heck my 2013 Nexus 7 gen 2 still blows away any current Fire tablet, and it is 6 years old!