Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The PW3 allows user installed fonts and if the file is a suitable AZW3, embedded fonts in the book. At least with the current and previous FW that allows themes.

Iv'e only seen slow page turns on H20 using poorly formatted PDF image files. Regular plain epubs are fine.
As an aside, to avoid risk of PDF / Postscript malware, Image Magick now won't process PDFs at all. You can change None to Write (safely) in the security properties.

This is for PDFs that are really images/scans and from smaller books/manuals, not Letter or A4 size magazines etc.
OPTIONALLY: Open the PDF and print to PDF (easy in Linux, add one in Windows or use a PDF viewer with one included) and resize to A5.
Then read a PDF into Gimp as layers setting the larger axis to 1024 pixels resolution scale, then Export as .mng format.
then
Code:
convert stories-ireland.mng -reverse -type Grayscale -threshold 55% -crop 610x958+34+34 +repage test.pdf
You may have to adjust -threshold.
Adjust the XY size and X & Y offsets to remove blank margin, watch out for mirrored page formatting, crop must suit even & odd pages.
It makes the PDF fit on the page and background white. The PDF then page turns at a reasonable speed.
I've never had a problem with epub2, old mobi or azw3/KF8 formatted ebooks that are created or converted by Calibre on any ereader for page turn. I set to refresh every page. But then I'm reading not flicking through.

Calibre, nor Adobe, MS or anything else won't convert PDFs that aren't really just text.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-13-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When you go to Books (on the Kobo), do you see "KOBO EPUB" for the book you transferred using Calibre?
Yes, I do.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 AM   #18
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The PW3 allows user installed fonts and if the file is a suitable AZW3, embedded fonts in the book. At least with the current and previous FW that allows themes.

Iv'e only seen slow page turns on H20 using poorly formatted PDF image files. Regular plain epubs are fine.
As an aside, to avoid risk of PDF / Postscript malware, Image Magick now won't process PDFs at all. You can change None to Write (safely) in the security properties.

This is for PDFs that are really images/scans and from smaller books/manuals, not Letter or A4 size magazines etc.
OPTIONALLY: Open the PDF and print to PDF (easy in Linux, add one in Windows or use a PDF viewer with one included) and resize to A5.
Then read a PDF into Gimp as layers setting the larger axis to 1024 pixels resolution scale, then Export as .mng format.
then
Code:
convert stories-ireland.mng -reverse -type Grayscale -threshold 55% -crop 610x958+34+34 +repage test.pdf
You may have to adjust -threshold.
Adjust the XY size and X & Y offsets to remove blank margin, watch out for mirrored page formatting, crop must suit even & odd pages.
It makes the PDF fit on the page and background white. The PDF then page turns at a reasonable speed.
I've never had a problem with epub2, old mobi or azw3/KF8 formatted ebooks that are created or converted by Calibre on any ereader for page turn. I set to refresh every page. But then I'm reading not flicking through.

Calibre, nor Adobe, MS or anything else won't convert PDFs that aren't really just text.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I never use pdfs. I usually convert azw3 files to epub through Calibre or use plain epubs. Maybe there's something wrong with my Kobo reader.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 AM   #19
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(The Oasis 2 did move to an i.MX7D, unlike the Forma. I have no idea how well that setup is exploited by the Kindle though, except in a generic sense that the Kindle software would be much more multi-core friendly than the Kobo's. But the 7D is a weird setup in that regard, so, eh. The "big" A7 processor in the combo is generally slower than the A9 we're used to, but it's potentially clocked higher, which possibly counteracts that... I wouldn't obsess too much over it, though.).

actually a9 is the oldest
you need to lookat imx num
imx6, imx7, imx8
imx8 on sony dpt rp1
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #20
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

forma vs oasis 2 page turing speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXkOvGE2Zjo

@niluje not really a big difference? imx7 is crazy
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I never meant to imply that the A7 was older than the A9, it's indeed not . (For our purposes, a valid chronology would be A8 -> A9 -> A7).

Unfortunately, if you're concerned about how the CPU stands on its own, comparing the Kobo software to the Kindle SW is like comparing apples to oranges: A Kindle will *always* feel snappier.

You can put a Clara against a PW4, the PW4 will also trounce it, despite both running the same SoC.

As has been mentioned in this thread, things are better if you stick to KePubs, but, still, if you put both side-by-side, lab126 wins, no matter the SoC .

EDIT: That video also specifically tests the Manga reader, which is pathologically slow on Kobo, *much* more so than either of their ePub renderers.

EDIT²: For people not running test benches, and actually using their device to read books, the behavior of a Kobo Mk.7 is perfectly fine in day to day usage.

Then again, I don't consider reading Manga/Comics on eInk a viable usecase, so, that punts off the worst offender to "don't care" territory for me .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-22-2019 at 09:10 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #22
heyman
Connoisseur

Quote:
A Kindle will *always* feel snappier.
have you tried those Android ereaders? many are using quad core A9 or 8 core A53 cpu, alth the system are far less stable than Kindle or Kobo system. but running the Koreader-apk it's fast, faster than their bulit-in apps

I don't know what's the scale of HW related to performance, but avoid big screen ereaders like the 13" or 10.3" ones, the screens not good looking enough with the now tech, the screens are the bottleneck, small 6" screens are mature, the big ones not
Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I haven't had any experience with Android eInk devices, no, but your comment sounds similar to @pazos', who's been fighting tooth and nail to get some of 'em to behave in KOReader .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Then again, I don't consider reading Manga/Comics on eInk a viable usecase, so, that punts off the worst offender to "don't care" territory for me .
Mind, size-wise, manga's pretty viable on larger e-readers. A1 and Forma are in-between bunko (7.1" diagonal) and tankobon (8.8" diagonal).

Colored American and European comics, not so much.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote