Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #631
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I can see Cooper Black in Generate Cover, I don't think there is a plain Cooper

Attachment 171344

I haven't added any fonts in decades, so it must be part of win 10 furniture, have a look at Control Panel fonts to see if its hidden or something. Here it is showing between Constantia and Copperplate Gothic

BR
Interesting, I don't have it on W10 Pro. I wonder if it is part of OFFICE installs (I don't have that).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #632
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Interesting, I don't have it on W10 Pro. I wonder if it is part of OFFICE installs (I don't have that).
Possibly, my Cooper Black is in the Windows\Fonts folder - FWIW I have 189 fonts in there - none of which were added specifically, i.e. they all came via 'something'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #633
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Possibly, my Cooper Black is in the Windows\Fonts folder - FWIW I have 189 fonts in there - none of which were added specifically, i.e. they all came via 'something'

BR
Just checked my wife's W10 Home, cooper and copperplate are on that one.
M$, go figure
Old 05-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #634
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could be a factor of whether Win10 came via an upgrade from Win7 or a new install, mine is new install. Doesn't explain why DawnB2 can't see it in GC but can see it elsewhere.

BR
Old 05-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #635
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Perhaps Calibre keeps a font cache and file permissions are preventing it from being updated? I'm aware of GC not being able to use different font weights but I think this is the first time I've heard of it not seeing completely different fonts.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #636
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I can see Cooper Black in Generate Cover, I don't think there is a plain Cooper
There is such a thing. The original designer, Oswald Bruce Cooper, designed a reasonably complete set as Cooper Old Style, originally, which was later named just Cooper. He derived Cooper Black from the original set for use as a large display font. He also designed several other font families, which generally incorporate his name.

I have quite a hodge-podge collection of fonts from a wide range of sources. The only "Cooper" fonts on the device I'm using right now are Cooper Black and Cooper Black Italic. These came from Adobe and oddly are listed in Win10's Settings>Personalization>Fonts as being "Cooper Std". I have the Cooper Old Style family somewhere, but it's not installed on this system so I can't check the naming. Of the Cooper fonts on this Win10 system, only the black shows, as "Cooper Std Black", in GC and the italic variant is not listed.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #637
DawnB2
DawnB2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The system is brand new & has oem Win 10 Pro. The font is already installed in Windows (that's the first thing I checked).

I was able to fix the problem by adding the front in the edit metadata/generate cover section. Once I added the font family in the calibre generate cover settings the plugin version is now able to see the Cooper fonts ( I have both Cooper Black and Cooper Black Italic).

Not sure why the main calibre program saw the font & the built-in generate cover didn't. I'm just glad adding the font to the built-in version also added it to the plugin version.
DawnB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #638
madame_newbie
Connoisseur
madame_newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 | Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnB2 View Post
The system is brand new & has oem Win 10 Pro. The font is already installed in Windows (that's the first thing I checked).

I was able to fix the problem by adding the front in the edit metadata/generate cover section. Once I added the font family in the calibre generate cover settings the plugin version is now able to see the Cooper fonts ( I have both Cooper Black and Cooper Black Italic).

Not sure why the main calibre program saw the font & the built-in generate cover didn't. I'm just glad adding the font to the built-in version also added it to the plugin version.
Yup, I have the same problem too. Am not sure why the calibre system acknowledges the added fonts but not the Generate Cover plug-in. The odd thing is it's very...random, some new fonts I added will be acknowledged but some will not.
madame_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #639
worstje
worstje began at the beginning.

I ran into a bug while using this. The image can end up not being properly centered if fitting to the available space and using an image border.

To fix it, include:

Code:
            lwidth, lheight = logo.size  # add_border() changes dimensions
after line 231. The relevant snippet of code should now look as follows:

Code:
    if not is_background_image and display_image and available[1] > 40:
        logo = Image()
        logo.open(image_path)
        lwidth, lheight = logo.size
        available = (available[0] - image_border_width * 2,
                     available[1] - image_border_width * 2)
        scaled, lwidth, lheight = fit_image(lwidth, lheight, *available)
        if not scaled and options.get(cfg.KEY_RESIZE_IMAGE_TO_FIT, False):
            scaled, lwidth, lheight = scaleup_image(
                lwidth, lheight, *available)
        if scaled:
            logo.size = (lwidth, lheight)
        if image_border_width > 0:
            logo = add_border(logo, image_border_width, border_color, bgcolor)
            lwidth, lheight = logo.size  # add_border() changes dimensions

left = int(max(0, (width - lwidth) / 2.))
        top = top + image_mgn + ((available[1] - lheight) / 2.)
        canvas.compose(logo, int(left), int(top))
Note: I am not sure if this is the ideal fix. (I think that it might just subtly breaks the logic of the available space and exceeds it? The logic confuses me!) I just know it fixes it well enough for me in practice given that there's always plenty of padding and margins all around on my covers.

A sincere thank you goes out to whoever maintains this plugin nowadays.

Last edited by worstje; 06-16-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: gotta be more specific
worstje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #640
mjart
mjart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis
I was using your plugin for a couple of weeks and then when trying to upload an image from desktop (the velveteen Rabbit, of all things) I got the error message,

ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:left and/or top out of bounds,

I don't read or speak python, so I just went on to the next cover, however, now no matter what I do I get this error message. I closed down calibre and then restarted the program, (layman's quick fix) but the error message didn't go away, so then i uninstalled the program and reinstalled it (another layman's quick fix) still got the same error message and it won't let me get past it. I probaby wasn't using the pugin to its full extent, did most of my cover art in photoshop and then uploaded it from desktop.

What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? Miss having your plugin, my daughters medical books have boring covers, enjoy redoing the covers (giggle).
mjart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #641
theducks
Well trained by Cats

as a test (calibre not running)

RENAME (this is in the Calibre config folder)
C:\Users\<yourID>\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Generate Cover.json

Generate Coverzzz.json <just the JSON file

All you should do is lose your (custom) cover settings
Old 08-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #642
irrationalpie
irrationalpie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Thanks for providing this amazing plug-in! I've been putting my entire library in order and this has made everything so much prettier. I found a bug and also have a feature request, though.

The bug: in the custom text area in the contents tab, if there are multiple newlines (or \n) in a row, text before the first consecutive newlines disappears entirely, and text after the newlines displays starting at the very top of the cover, regardless of where it should have been placed to respect the other things (title, series, etc) around it. If there are more consecutive newlines after that text, text after them will also reset its position to the top and display there. I eventually figured out that this was what was going on, but I was quite confused for a while.

The feature request: Would it be possible to configure generate cover to choose both a settings configuration and an image file based on values in columns in calibre (e.g. custom ones like #coversettingsname and #coverfilename)? I have one particular settings template that I've been messing with (changing font sizes, layout, etc) which I would like to be the default for new ebooks, but perhaps with a custom file displayed behind it. Specifying values in columns would allow me to re-generate covers if I make a change to the base template, without having to perform that operation separately for each of the background images I have. I don't want to make a new template for each image because I'm still not sure I'm done messing with the template. (To give you more concrete info about my use case, my background image is a border around the text that gets displayed, and I have different borders for different genres so that I can visually distinguish them immediately).
irrationalpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #643
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I don't know what has gone wrong, but all the sudden Calibre can't see the new font's I've installed for this plugin.

I've tried restarting Calibre and they still don't show up. They are available in office or otherwise writing software.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #644
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Old problem, there's a possible solution in post 637.

BR
Old 10-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #645
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

The font was still visible in Calibre, it just didn't look like it was supposed to.

I ended up uninstalling Calibre, removing the generate cover plugin and the font txt-file and installed everything again.

It now looks to be working fine.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote